Opinions on RP's QUAD synth?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Prints

22 May 2015

What are people's thoughts on this one? It wasn't really on my Radar until this sale.

eusti

22 May 2015

People seem to like it. I personally cannot wrap my head around it... Not that I don't understand how it's supposed to work... But I cannot get it to sound too interesting... I like Predator way better... One of the few REs that I like less than I thought... Maybe I just need to spend more time with it...

D.

4filegate

22 May 2015

spend a lot of time with Quad, accurate send/return MasterFx by Quad HQ FX section - usability :thumbup:

doinky

22 May 2015

I tried it. But didn't buy it. The patches that came with it did not impress me. Everything I tried with it made it sound like it was off tune. I just could not get the sounds to fit in to anything musical.

Majestik Monkey

22 May 2015

Quad is a Strange Beast ! 

It would seem with Quad - Less is more !  What i mean is . . . most people will just pile on Tons of Phaze Distortion & Wave shape. 
i know, i did it myself & it just resulted in a Mass of Noise .

Since i started to use much Less of both  Phaze & shape ' the results are much better . i look at the Phaze & Shaper as a Colouring Tool 
rather than changing the shape of the wave . . . 

zeebot

22 May 2015

Well here is an entry I made for the Quad comp when it was released.
Yes I guess its a 'listen to my track' self promo thing but it also gives a good idea of how the synth sounds and if you think its for you. Personally I think its great for bass and pads.
All QUAD apart from drums and vocals...

I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Majestik Monkey

22 May 2015

zeebot wrote:Well here is an entry I made for the Quad comp when it was released.
Yes I guess its a 'listen to my track' self promo thing but it also gives a good idea of how the synth sounds and if you think its for you. Personally I think its great for bass and pads.
All QUAD apart from drums and vocals...

Superb Track ZeeBot '  :t2018:

If this track does not convince anyone of [Quad's capabilities] i don't know what would !

alex

22 May 2015

Quad inspires me to start from scratch and make my own patches. It's the synth that resembles to me that feelings of freedom and completeness I had with Thor.
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 May 2015

Here is my track from the same Comp

You can probably hear a commonality of sound from ZeeBot's track. I didn't buy Quad but that was because I feel pretty full of synths already.

Quad is definitely an interesting approach and like Mr Monkey says, caution generally delivers better sounds. We are seeing an influx of more digital synths right now (with some in the pipe) so the world is interesting and worth Trying to find the approach that suits you better.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Emian

23 May 2015

its a great synth, very warm sound & i love it for bass a lot !
here's a link to all tracks of the Quad contest (including mine). that should give you a good idea ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

zeebot

23 May 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:
Superb Track ZeeBot '  :t2018:

If this track does not convince anyone of [Quad's capabilities] i don't know what would !
Hey thanks for that :D
Much appreciated 
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

MirEko

25 May 2015

Yeah I never really liked it, to much faffing to get a sound I liked from it.
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

dvdrtldg

25 May 2015

Same experience here as many others on this thread - I found Quad to be too odd for musical sounds, but also too "straight" for really out-there weird noise. Maybe I didn't spend enough time with it, but it seemed sort of limited and hard-wired to a fairly narrow palette of sounds.

thotbott

26 May 2015

I think quad is fantastic, but you need to be using it in a combinator with the likes of band splitters etc to make it truely shine, wave and phase shaping are an absolute pain in the balls to get the head around, coupled with with that osc 2 mod, but you can get some seriously meaty sounds out of this synth, you just need to invest a good bit of time and creativity in routing with it.

the quad contest tracks are a good example of what can be done

childofsaturn

26 May 2015

Quad seems to me a half-baked synth. It's like they had an interesting concept and shoe-horned a lot of "tried and true" Rob Papen staple features into it without giving it much TLC. That's not to say you can't get some nice sounds out of it. It can be fun to play around with. However, I don't think it's worth the asking price. For a synth with such a quirky interface, tonally I believe it lacks personality.

• Information