Warm saturation in Reason: Pulveriser versus Revival

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marco Raaphorst

25 May 2015

jfrichards wrote:Have you done any comparisons between the three TubeScreamer pedals in Creme (innocuously named A, B, and C)?  I use them quite a bit, on low, medium, and high settings for various needs, from a touch of tube saturation, to all-out death metal, and I like them a lot.
pedrocaetanos wrote:
I asked them: those have been inspired by TubeScreamer, Fulltone OCD, and MI Audio Crunch Box.
The TubeScreamer is nice. Has more low end that the original pedal but that's also a good thing. It has way more aliasing though than the DC-9 RE which is the best TubeScreamer for Reason imo. 

The Fulltone OCD and MI Audio Crunch Box I don't know. 

pedrocaetanos

26 May 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote: The TubeScreamer is nice. Has more low end that the original pedal but that's also a good thing. It has way more aliasing though than the DC-9 RE which is the best TubeScreamer for Reason imo. 

I suppose you are calling TubeScreamer to the A.
I never used the original pedals themselves so I can't really tell, too. But I know MI Audio Crunch Box is supposed to do a Marshall-in-a-pedal sound, and OCD is supposed to be an in-between tube-like crunch sound, maybe similar to Boss Blues Drive. OCD is one of the most famous boutique pedals.

Kuassa support has been kind enough to share with me some insight inspirations for the models used on their Amplifikations :)

OoT:
Great Refill jobs you have doing Marco! You have my total confidence to the point I already bought Boutique Amp while I still haven't yet upgraded to R8 (and thus I'm still waiting for Softube Amps)
But I'm also eagerly awaiting for RockMen ;)
http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/preview-rockmen-refill/
So when is it coming out? Or is Tom Scholz working on it right now? ;)
I hope it doesn't rely on Softube amps (and it shouldn't, being the original Rockmans all solid-state)

Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Marco Raaphorst

26 May 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote: The TubeScreamer is nice. Has more low end that the original pedal but that's also a good thing. It has way more aliasing though than the DC-9 RE which is the best TubeScreamer for Reason imo. 

pedrocaetanos wrote:
I suppose you are calling TubeScreamer to the A.
I never used the original pedals themselves so I can't really tell, too. But I know MI Audio Crunch Box is supposed to do a Marshall-in-a-pedal sound, and OCD is supposed to be an in-between tube-like crunch sound, maybe similar to Boss Blues Drive. OCD is one of the most famous boutique pedals.

Kuassa support has been kind enough to share with me some insight inspirations for the models used on their Amplifikations :)

OoT:
Great Refill jobs you have doing Marco! You have my total confidence to the point I already bought Boutique Amp while I still haven't yet upgraded to R8 (and thus I'm still waiting for Softube Amps)
But I'm also eagerly awaiting for RockMen ;)
http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/preview-rockmen-refill/
pedrocaetanos wrote: So when is it coming out? Or is Tom Scholz working on it right now? ;)
I hope it doesn't rely on Softube amps (and it shouldn't, being the original Rockmans all solid-state)
Thanks! When RockMen comes out is not sure. I have made many "models" but I now have come to 1 very flexible one. I haven't planned it out yet. And as with the Pulveriser, I am very much of a perfectionist. 

Be patient :D

jfrichards

26 May 2015

Hey Marco, in your quest for warm saturation, I thought you might like this:
http://phead.mu/s/tsqbI7pX
Here's the setup:

But it's actually based on this, using the Caribbean sunset to warm the chocolate:

Attachments
warm_saturation.png
warm_saturation.png (75.93 KiB) Viewed 891 times

Marco Raaphorst

26 May 2015

jfrichards wrote:Hey Marco, in your quest for warm saturation, I thought you might like this:
http://phead.mu/s/tsqbI7pX
Here's the setup:

But it's actually based on this, using the Caribbean sunset to warm the chocolate:

Might be cool. I don't have the Trident though.

pedrocaetanos

26 May 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Be patient  :D
I am... that "virtue" I have  ;)  
Marco Raaphorst wrote: And as with the Pulveriser, I am very much of a perfectionist. 
OK, I empathize with that  :)
But, speaking of Pulveriser, weren't supposed to do a Refill based on it?
Either you released it for free on your newsletter and it spliped by me, or...is it still being perfected?  ;)
Marco Raaphorst wrote:When RockMen comes out is not sure. I have made many "models" but I now have come to 1 very flexible one. I haven't planned it out yet. 
Feed my patience, please  :s0221:
  • What Rockman devices are you "modelling?
  • Only native devices or RE based? Softube Amps count as REs!  :)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2015

selig wrote:Remember pulverisr adds odd harmonics below a certain level, then adds t even harmonics above that. Some issues naturally arise when doing simple tests like this based on the differing responses at different frequencies AND different levels. These devices respond non-linearly with respect to level and that can be quite difficult to portray accurately.
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Yes, the Pulveriser Drive at 50% uses some odd harmonics. The Drive control is not lineair. But it will respond linear to volume imo. And also phase canceling the signal doesn't change anything. The Revival is very lineair too. It just adds lovely even harmonics mostly in the midrange. The Pulverise has way more high end with odd harmonics and aliasing. But the Filter does help.
Careful using the term "Linear" to describe what is at it's heart a non-linear effect, i.e. "distortion". ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

26 May 2015

alex wrote:Great article, cheers! :)

I like too the revival preamp fx section: for my taste it does a very good job in parallel mode by putting it as insert on a parallel mixer channel.
On acoustic drums tracks the "gold" preset gives to me that clarity and presence on the mids range which is really pleasant! Plus the tone knob helps a lot when you need to find the right spot of frequencies. IIRC I just have to compensate 1 or 2 sample IIRC with VMG-01 on the original track when using "red" and "brown" preset.

EDIT: uhm... now, thinking about it ... I should make a combinator InsertFX with revival, vmg-01 and morfin XF crossfader which acts as dry wet control with mapped drive, tone and latency comp controls on the front panel...  :) Well, if I end up with something useful I'll share it!
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
Why do you compensate with VMG-01?

I checked out VMG-01 and although it is cool it is calibrated to a certain frequency range.
This is not accurate - the VMG-01 is NOT calibrated to anything in the frequency domain! It is a simple and useful sample delay, that is all. If there is a delay introduced by a process, it can correct for it. 

What you may be thinking is the phase shifts introduced by filters, which is a delay added to the original signal. Once the delayed signal is mixed with the original you can no longer compensate for it (logically speaking). 

:)

Marco Raaphorst wrote:Haven't found which one it is but when using filtering you can get bad results. Filtering = echo = phase shift = kind of latency which can only be judged by ear.

This is also true for my "test". Although it is interesting these things need to be judged by listening. Something stuff that doesn't look right on a spectrum analyser sounds just fantastic. It is a combination of many things. 
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information