FM4 in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
chimp_spanner

25 May 2015

Not like I should really be buying anything right now but, I bought it. I already have PX7 but honestly I hardly use it. It's a tiny bit complex for me. FM4 is really quick to use, and any synth with unison on it is a must-have for me. Now if only Antidote would stay on sale until after pay day!!

zeebot

25 May 2015

FM4, Antidote and Parsec are a great set of sonics to have in the rack :)
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

MirEko

25 May 2015

zeebot wrote:FM4, Antidote and Parsec are a great set of sonics to have in the rack :)
true that...

:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

GRIFTY

25 May 2015

trialed for ten seconds before i bought it.  this thing is wonderful

nis

26 May 2015

Thanks for your positive feedback! 

We are aware that FM4 is a bit hungry in terms of CPU usage. And I can assure you that this is something that we are looking into and will address in future updates. Right now we are waiting for PH to extend their support for SIMD instructions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions). As the rack extension SDK is under NDA I cannot go into further details.

Regarding the patches we've received from beta testers, we decided in the current version to stick with our own presets. However, it would be great and we would support (e.g. on by posting links our facebook page) if you should decide to pack your presets together in a third-party preset bank. Feel free to email us (nis@primal-audio.com or andreas@primal-audio.com) if you decide to do so.

Nis

Lead programmer at Primal Audio

pinton

26 May 2015

MDTerps2015

26 May 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi

I hate to have to ask but are my Patches in the FM4 release? Should be easy to spot with my BRM tag.

I made 73 and I know they were received. It is just that I still only have a Beta Try in my account and haven't heard anything from the Dev for some time.

If he decided not to use any of my patches then at least I can wrap them up as a ReFill for y'all.

Thanks

:)
Hey Benedict I was just in Facebook and if you dabble around in there, you need to go read what a Reason beta tester said over there. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

ScuzzyEye

26 May 2015

pinton wrote:But the sdk does support SSE...

https://www.propellerheads.se/press/151 ... n-platform
nis wrote:Right now we are waiting for PH to extend their support for SIMD instructions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions). As the rack extension SDK is under NDA I cannot go into further details.
Without breaking the NDA, it's impossible to go into more details, but it suffices to say that both statements can be true. :)

challism

26 May 2015

This is a great little synth, and it kicks out some really fat and dirty sounds.  Since I already own PX7, so I'm not really in the market for another FM synth at the moment.  If they would fix the DSP issue, I think I would buy it, though.  I think I'll wait until for a while on this one.  Hopefully they can fix the DSP and have another sale down the road. 

For $25, it is a really good bargain.  Even at the regular price of $35, it's still a good bargain.  And they did do a nice job on this synth.  It's always nice to see more REs being added. 
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

manisnotabird

26 May 2015

Any chance of being able to convert TX81Z patches to FM4 patches like you can convert DX7 to PX7?

chimp_spanner

28 May 2015

nis wrote:Thanks for your positive feedback! 

We are aware that FM4 is a bit hungry in terms of CPU usage. And I can assure you that this is something that we are looking into and will address in future updates. Right now we are waiting for PH to extend their support for SIMD instructions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streaming_SIMD_Extensions). As the rack extension SDK is under NDA I cannot go into further details.

Regarding the patches we've received from beta testers, we decided in the current version to stick with our own presets. However, it would be great and we would support (e.g. on by posting links our facebook page) if you should decide to pack your presets together in a third-party preset bank. Feel free to email us (nis@primal-audio.com or andreas@primal-audio.com) if you decide to do so.

Nis

Hey Nis! Great work on FM4. It's really cool! One thing I noticed; operator 3 fine tune appears to have a way greater range than 1, 2 and 4. Is this on purpose?

Also it'd be really nice to have a spread control for the unison section. Think this is possible for the next version?

EddieG

29 May 2015

DUDES
Killer
trying now- inspired to write something
which is a very good sign

buying after the wife goes to sleep
stratcatfl in the house !

craven

29 May 2015

would love to buy it but the DSP hunger puts me off a bit - there are pads that use up 4 to 5 DSP bars with only 4 note polyphony. 

This is a bit much (especially compared to Antidote and Predator chord/pad patches that don't use up that many DSP bars)

i7 Thinkpad (T420s) with 8 gb ram
:ugeek:

EddieG

31 May 2015

It is a little heavy when I run 3 of these ( maybe 1/3 ? plus with  drums bass and one guitar )
wrote something simple with 3 of these - will post later this month as I dabble
sounds are very musically useable

oldest daughters B day tomorrow
EddieG wrote:DUDES
Killer
trying now- inspired to write something
which is a very good sign

buying after the wife goes to sleep

mbfrancis

02 Jun 2015

Been trying this out - a bit bummed.  There are some nice wonderful, unique, inspirational patches, but 1) some patches just completely shut my system down (for no appreciable reason) and 2) there are very few combi patches, which seems like table stakes for a device w/ no onboard effects.  Needs a lofi mode (or a way to limit voices) and needs more presets.  People with powerful computers and who know what they're doing w/ FM may love this, but I'm sticking to samples for now.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

challism

02 Jun 2015

I'm bummed that it is such a CPU hog.  I would totally buy it, especially at $25.  But I have had this sucker max out my DSP meter, all the way to the red, with ONLY ONE instance of the device running.... in fact, that is with ONLY ONE DEVICE loaded in the ENTIRE RACK!  That is bad. 

It seemed to happen most when I was messing around with the unison, or when I would shut off all but one of the four operators, then turn them back on while the song was playing.  The developer really needs to fix this DSP issue before I am going to buy it.  They said it was a problem with the SDK not fully supporting something or other.... IDK, exactly what the dev said... but it's eating up too much precious DSP for me. 

Anyway, I am going to stick with PX7.  I love PX7, and I know my way around it well enough to program what I want it to do.  I just wish it had more waveform options.  That is one the really nice feature about FM4, multiple waveforms.  I also like FM4's unison sound. 

Bottom line, it is a fun instrument, and it sounds great.  It's just too demanding on the CPU for me to justify buying it.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

craven

02 Jun 2015

yeah, it's a shame that it can use up so many resources easily. Otherwise, I like this RE quite a lot. Waiting for better performance now.
:ugeek:

Theo.M

03 Jun 2015

the fm bell timbre in this is beautiful.. some stunning patches and a very friendly interface. Not to mention it's only $25 (but only for a few more days).

The bass isn't quite up to some other FM beasts like linplug octopus (most underrated fm synth ever) but still good and punchy.

The raw quality of this is very good, and it's only on long release pads I am having cpu issues with multiple polyphony. But playing the EP's and plucks and bells I have zero issue, just one bar DSP and this laptop really is old. However it would be nice to see some optimisations done so this can be more freely used for pads, as they do sound lovely, and I can only imagine it would become very hard to near impossible to layer multiple instances in a combi.

So for me, I think it's worth supporting the dev to encourage development, and hope we get some cpu improvements. Also, I would really like to see exode get his hands on this one, as well as nucleus and soundcells and create some cool refills :)

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Jun 2015

Hi Theo

There were quite a few patches made by Beta testers but for some reason Primal Audio decided not use any (or even give any licenses as payment for services rendered in the traditional fashion).

This link is my patches:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/686 ... atches.zip

They won't be there forever so get them now. You may pass them on but just be sure the signature stays on the patch names.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Theo.M

03 Jun 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi Theo

There were quite a few patches made by Beta testers but for some reason Primal Audio decided not use any (or even give any licenses as payment for services rendered in the traditional fashion).

This link is my patches:

They won't be there forever so get them now. You may pass them on but just be sure the signature stays on the patch names.

wow thanks so much Benedict, I am sure I can speak for everyone here saying that! You are a kind fellow. What a shame they didn't take 3rd party patches on board.. perhaps they just didn't want to reward testers.. but considering how hard it is to make a living with a $25 synth, i empathise with them too. It was a hard decision for them I am sure.

That said, they have absolutely no input or control into whether third party commercial banks are made.. what will determine that is if lots of us buy it and there is demand for them! Cheers

EddieG

03 Jun 2015

Thanks a Million Bene
I'm not completely givng up on FM4

And thanks whoever mentioned the pluck tones ( theo )

Theo.M

03 Jun 2015

nis wrote:Thanks for your positive feedback! 

Nis

hi Nis, thank you for being up front and aware with the public of the cpu issues and being WILLING to fix it when you are able to. That's really cool. You will have my support. Please don't be a stranger and stick around this wonderful community here :)

May i ask the exact price FM4 will go to on June 8? I spent the last few dollars I had on a couple May sale items and don't think I will be able to get it before the demo expires :frown:
It's 100% on my list just wondering if it might be worth me asking parents to use their CC to buy early .. if it going to go to $50 or something for example, i will somehow get them to say yes hehe.Big saving :)

pLansford

08 Jun 2015

This link is my patches:

Ohhh thank you so much for sharing!  I will check these out.

EddieG

10 Jun 2015

yep thanks
the plucks am eps are awesome
pads seem to be the piggies

Mysterygrimms

05 Dec 2016

This link is my patches:

Benedict I just bought FM4 for the winter sale, do you still happen to have a copy of your FM4 patches? Your dropbox link has been long dead it seems. Also I bought your 500 sounds refill a few weeks back, some really great sounds man. Thanks.

• Information