FM4 in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Kategra

22 May 2015

FM4 is the BOMB!!!  It can sound life-like and warm! That noise is that great!!!!

bsp

22 May 2015

to answer my own question: yes, the 'sync' sync mode is implemented..must have been the note triggers that caused the random phasing ?!

@riemac:
PX7 is modeled after a DX7, FM4 after a TX81z. PX7 sounds much cleaner and has slightly more complex envelopes but does not have unison builtin, nor does it have FM4's oscillator start phase randomization and drift feature (which I find very useful. it's something quite a lot of synths are missing).

Regarding CPU usage:
I just conducted a small experiment: I made a 4op patch in FM4, replicated it in PX7, duplicated the FM4 and PX7 instances 8 times, then held down 6 notes (=> 48 voices / 192 operators).
DSP load for FM4 was ~2..2.5 bars. For PX7 it was 1 bar.

All comparisons aside: Why don't you just trial FM4 and see if you like its sounds ? 19 bucks really is a fair price for what you get, in my opinion.
If you need more FM in the future, PX7 will surely be on sale again..

@mrj1nx:
Ah yes, I remember Soundshock, the Ubiktune guys really know their chiptune stuff! Is that your track ?

Regarding the "realize why you probably dont want to" [use other FM waveforms than sine]: If you think of the operators as layers (sort of), other waveforms make sense.
Plus you can get complex results with very few operators.
My first FM4 patch was a (4op) pad sound that uses W6 for op1 in routing 3. With sines for all ops, the patch sounds dull.
For some reason, I always had a hard time creating nice sounding pads in PX7 (that's not saying it can't be done!)

Libraquaricorn

22 May 2015

I just had to have this right away. So far I find it to be an awesome percussion synth! I've been playing around with FM4, 4 Phase LFO and Euclid all day. At some point I tend to add some repetitive Redrum 505/606/707/808/909 and a wee bit of abl and just dance in my chair for hours 

:s0547:

Hereby nominated for "Best Buy RE of 2015" by me!     :thumbup:

Majestik Monkey

22 May 2015

riemac wrote:Now that PX7 is on sale I'm struggeling if to buy FM4 or PX7. I've no triel on PX7 left so I cannot compare it with FM4. Could you give me some advise. Is PX7 also very cpu intensive? Normaly I would like to buy FM4, but cpu usage is very importand to me. Thanks
PX7 is much much lighter on CPU than FM4 !

I own them both & i'm happy with the FM Sounds from each Synth 
PX7 is a far more complex setup & it offers a much wider range of FM than FM4 
If you can afford to get Px7 ? you will be buying far better FM Synth ....  :thumbup:

eigenvee

22 May 2015

mrj1nx wrote:PX7 is good cpu wise AFAIK, also Thor can do quite a bit of FM as well, 3 FM pairs is pretty much a 6 OP FM Synth, and you can do custom routings as well using the programming/matrix section (as well as the ability to use whatever waveforms you want out of very many, etc, and realize why you probably dont want to :) ).

This was done with Thor: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDFuCYwmwUY
I found this piece of music very satisfying. Do you have a page with your compositions I could check out?

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 May 2015

Hi

I hate to have to ask but are my Patches in the FM4 release? Should be easy to spot with my BRM tag.

I made 73 and I know they were received. It is just that I still only have a Beta Try in my account and haven't heard anything from the Dev for some time.

If he decided not to use any of my patches then at least I can wrap them up as a ReFill for y'all.

Thanks

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

joeyluck

22 May 2015

Benedict wrote:Hi

I hate to have to ask but are my Patches in the FM4 release? Should be easy to spot with my BRM tag.

I made 73 and I know they were received. It is just that I still only have a Beta Try in my account and haven't heard anything from the Dev for some time.

If he decided not to use any of my patches then at least I can wrap them up as a ReFill for y'all.

Thanks

Unless they've not yet added beta tester patches, or removed tags :frown: I don't see any patches with programmer tags...  Got any patch names?

[EDIT] On second thought, hold for screen shot :)

joeyluck

22 May 2015

Some samples:

Image  Image 

Sorry, couldn't change my resolution to fit all on screen, but hopefully that gives an idea...
I'm assuming "[Mw]" is "mod wheel"?
Attachments
fm4-leads.jpg
fm4-leads.jpg (182.1 KiB) Viewed 2278 times

joeyluck

22 May 2015

One thing I do want to point out is the dirt on the FM4 casing... Some of the best GUI dirt/smudges I have seen!

JoshuaPhilgarlic

22 May 2015

The price is a steal! And the whole concept is so much more user friendly than D/PX7!! I just tinkered a few minutes to get some really nice sounds. Love it!!!

joeyluck

22 May 2015

I want a patch converter. I want all the DX100 sounds!

I still haven't heard if this is built to emulate or if it's a 4 op synth of it's own...
Being able to import patches would sell many more units I would think ;)

But I'm curious because I haven't seen any popular 4 op synth patches for the iPad or this...
So maybe it's just different/not possible?

joeyluck

22 May 2015

I tried mirroring settings for patches from my DX100 and just couldn't seem to get the same results.
I could also be going about it the wrong way...

GRIFTY

22 May 2015

I hate brostep and "complextro". With that said, I've been obsessively trying to recreate convincing skrillex style bass-leads for weeks now - I like to try and recreate stuff for synth " practice ", and I figured I'd go for it, " how hard could it be?" I told myself. It has actually proved outrageously tough, and despite having a strong distaste for the sound, I've found myself going into px7 over and over again to see if I can do it, and I can't, and I have a new respect for those dudes... Still hate them though.

With all that said, would this synth be easier than px7 to create that type of stuff?? I just need to do it at this point to prove to myself I can lol

Benedict
Competition Winner

22 May 2015

Thanks

joeyluck wrote:
Unless they've not yet added beta tester patches, or removed tags :frown: I don't see any patches with programmer tags...  Got any patch names?

[EDIT]
joeyluck wrote: On second thought, hold for screen shot :)
Thanks

Looks like none of mine in here (and they would be alphabetically). So maybe they decided not to include external patches. Would be nice to know after all that work.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

SebAudio

23 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:One thing I do want to point out is the dirt on the FM4 casing... Some of the best GUI dirt/smudges I have seen!
I've noticed that when I've received it and returned it because it's not a brand new first hand product !
Since I'm a careful person I can't stand such dirt ! So I keep with PX7 !

mrj1nx

23 May 2015

mrj1nx wrote:PX7 is good cpu wise AFAIK, also Thor can do quite a bit of FM as well, 3 FM pairs is pretty much a 6 OP FM Synth, and you can do custom routings as well using the programming/matrix section (as well as the ability to use whatever waveforms you want out of very many, etc, and realize why you probably dont want to :) ).

This was done with Thor: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDFuCYwmwUY
eigenvee wrote:
I found this piece of music very satisfying. Do you have a page with your compositions I could check out?
This is not my track, there are one other track by Bomb Boy I know of, in the first installment of FM Funk Madness, links to both here: http://soundshock.se/ There are a bunch of incredible tracks in these two albums (all FM focused btw), highly recomended!

kloeckno

23 May 2015

GRIFTY wrote:I hate brostep and "complextro". With that said, I've been obsessively trying to recreate convincing skrillex style bass-leads for weeks now - I like to try and recreate stuff for synth " practice ", and I figured I'd go for it, " how hard could it be?" I told myself. It has actually proved outrageously tough, and despite having a strong distaste for the sound, I've found myself going into px7 over and over again to see if I can do it, and I can't, and I have a new respect for those dudes... Still hate them though. With all that said, would this synth be easier than px7 to create that type of stuff?? I just need to do it at this point to prove to myself I can lol
I'm no expert in the style, and I have a distaste for the sounds too, but I'm pretty sure you need some additional FX to fully create that sound. Most of the copycats use Massive, but apparently FM8 is used by many of the originators of the sound. And then they run the FM sound with a lot of high harmonics through some distortion. Usually multiband, and then they limit the shit out of the bands and/or the recombined sound. Then add a filter with an LFO on the frequency at the end of the chain, instant generic wobble!

Resonator

23 May 2015

I bought the iOS version when it was first released, and I've enjoyed the simplicity. It's the most user-friendly FM synth I've ever used. I hope I'll be able to swap patches between the iOS version and the RE. I haven't tried the RE yet. But I'm definitely planning on supporting Primal Audio for what they've done so far. Kudos! :)

GRIFTY

23 May 2015

I can grab 'generic wobble' in a second, no problem. Some of these guys, like skrillex and kill the noise are way past that though and it's actually been very hard for me with px7. Everything sounds flat and dull, with like >10% of the variation and life they get.

GRIFTY

23 May 2015

At this point it's more obsession than pleasure, I admit, but I'm gonna test this one out and might buy it if it gets me closer than px7. It's a sad, pathetic quest I'm on

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

23 May 2015

Thanks

joeyluck wrote:

[EDIT]
joeyluck wrote: On second thought, hold for screen shot :)
Benedict wrote:
Thanks

Looks like none of mine in here (and they would be alphabetically). So maybe they decided not to include external patches. Would be nice to know after all that work.

I'm in the same boat as you, sent in just under 60 patches but I have not download the trial version as I still have the beta.. I don't have a problem sending the patches over to you to make a community refill... ??
This is a demo I made using only the FM4 with patches I created (as I did not have any patches with the beta) and a couple of FX's thrown in for good measure LOL
https://soundcloud.com/carly-montague/d ... for-reason

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 May 2015

Hi Carly

I think we should let them have a week to tidy up on their end first. If nothing happens then I can't see that we have been anything but abandoned ( and jipped) so we might as well make a ReFill to prevent the work going to waste fully.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

alex

24 May 2015

I underestimated this synth at first...
It is surprisingly easy to program and to figure out what it does after a bit of messing around.
And sounds great!

I will pull the trigger because at this price is a real bargain.

I just want to share this Bass Combi patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kprl3x8g2aoq6 ... X.cmb?dl=0

I came up with it really quick and I'm pretty satisfied, but is not intended as example of FM4 possibilities since this synth can do a LOT more...
I'm simply having fun! :)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

zero01101

24 May 2015

GRIFTY wrote:...With that said, I've been obsessively trying to recreate convincing skrillex style bass-leads for weeks now...
best way i've found to get screaming FM is sawtooth waves. 
[edit]
check the attachment to this post for a thor patch, use rotary 1 to control the violence.
Andreas@Primal Audio wrote:Hello reason folk...
can we get some sawtooth waves in the operators please? :D  

otherwise, good instrument, great intro price.  no brainer.
Attachments
saw_FM.zip
(717 Bytes) Downloaded 64 times

• Information