FM4 in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
fanatek
RE Developer

10 Dec 2016

Sorry Primal Audio but you said that the sale price 19€ is going to 31 december !! We are not the 31/12 !! I think law, French law at least, doesn't allow you to do that.
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

xylyx

10 Dec 2016

The product listing states: "Sale! 50% off until 31 December!"

So, I guess on that basis, they haven't changed the discount or end date...

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

10 Dec 2016

xylyx wrote:The product listing states: "Sale! 50% off until 31 December!"

So, I guess on that basis, they haven't changed the discount or end date...
No, but that might not matter were someone to actively make a legal claim. I can't speak for EU law but it would be surprising if it were weaker than UK law on this matter, given how pervasive EU law tends to be on every other matter ;)

Merely playing devil's advocate here, as I've not been following the prices, if the full price was indeed €39, and has been for a substantial period, then changing it to €49 now while still claiming it's a 50% discount by also raising the price of the sale item too, would be questionable under UK law as it might be seen as intentionally dishonest pricing: in the UK a product must be sold at the "full price" for 28 days prior to the sale. If it wasn't sold for €49 in preceding month, but €39, then it's deceptive to say it's a 50% discount, even if €25 is (roughly) 50% of €49. (The bizarre and limited fixed tier structure really doesn't help devs here; basic common sense would have done away with the tiers years ago, getting rid of the $9 minimum price limitation entirely, but there's a reason PH implemented them that works massively to their advantage in the long term, especially with IDT' stuff).

So in UK law, which may or may not be similar in Sweden/EU:

"To claim that products are on sale, you should show the previous price and should have been selling at that price for a meaningful period of time [at least 28 days]"

and

"You must not claim a discount against the recommended retail price (RRP), if the RRP is significantly higher than the price generally charged for the product"

Well, the previous price, for the 28 days requirement, is no longer being shown.

So effectively the sale discount on FM4 is being applied to the RRP which is €49, newly applied (specifically?) for this sale, rather than the typical full price of the product (€39). Therefore the discount is now not really 50%, but c.30% especially as one might reasonably presume the "full price" will be set back to €39 in January.

xylyx

10 Dec 2016

So effectively the sale discount on FM4 is being applied to the RRP which is €49, newly applied (specifically?) for this sale, rather than the typical full price of the product (€39). Therefore the discount is now not really 50%, but c.30% especially as one might reasonably presume the "full price" will be set back to €39 in January.
No, I think the new price is because they updated the RE to version 2 yesterday, so I fully expect the regular price to be €49 after the sale...

GRIFTY

12 Dec 2016

Get it, it's steal at twenty bucks. It's a real, grown up synth that does modern FM sounds better than any other synth in reason but zero

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2016

Just a question. If I own Zero already, is there any reason I should buy FM4?
I'm pretty much a newb to anything FM related. Maybe it's better I learn Zero first?

miscend

12 Dec 2016

It's far easier to learn FM synthesis with FM4. And at this price it's a no brainer.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

12 Dec 2016

miscend wrote:It's far easier to learn FM synthesis with FM4. And at this price it's a no brainer.
Thanks for the reply.
I said I wasn't gonna buy more synths for a while, however...

Goddammit why does it have to be on sale?

Even though I like the demos and the price is good I think I'll pass for now, simply for the reason that I have so many synths to learn already. It is pretty tempting though :)

jonheal

12 Dec 2016

Pricing questions aside, as I wrote earlier, it does, in fact, perform better than the previous version — if you care about that sort of thing.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

GRIFTY

12 Dec 2016

miscend wrote:It's far easier to learn FM synthesis with FM4. And at this price it's a no brainer.
This is true. Zero is a huge freaking monster FM beast. It's kinda intimidating if you don't understand FM. FM4 is much simpler and straight to the point. A bit subtler as well

hadmyrackextended

16 Dec 2016

Bought.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2016

Oh fuck it, I give up, I'll just buy it.

Well so much for all my "learn what I already have first" talk.

I just tried it and like you guys said it's pretty easy to get your head around, even after just an hour or so. All other FM synths I've tried have made me far more confused, so that alone makes it worth it for me. And I also liked some of the sounds coming out of it and I could in my short time trying it hear sounds that could inspire songs.

It has just the right amount of tweaking options to make me want to use it, not too much, not too little.

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad since this is actually the only thing I'm buying during this sale period.

EdGrip

16 Dec 2016

Fuck learning what you already have first!
We'd never get anything done if we all did that. Have all of the things all of the time!

Brian Eno would probably tell Picasso to really learn green before moving on to another colour. Brian Eno can fuck right off with that.

Ed's thought for the day^

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

16 Dec 2016

EdGrip wrote:Fuck learning what you already have first!
We'd never get anything done if we all did that. Have all of the things all of the time!

Brian Eno would probably tell Picasso to really learn green before moving on to another colour. Brian Eno can fuck right off with that.

Yeah sure, I'll go with that, whatever makes me feel better right now :)

I guess I'll just have to write more songs to make sure all my synths gets used. I'm pretty much into to the whole "one synth per song/EP" thing at the moment. FM4 will have to stand in line. I'm currently working with Legend and Chip64 for my EP projects. Then after that the plan is to dive into Expanse. And after that who knows? There's so much stuff to choose from, FM4, JPS Harmonic Synthesizer, Snakebite, Red70 just to name a few.
Hmm maybe FM4 will have to cut in line before Expanse.

As long as there won't be any REs released in the next 6-8 months or so there won't be any problem at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that :)

EdGrip

16 Dec 2016

Having said that, I feel like I'm alright for synths for a while. It's the sequencing and weird effects REs that tend to tempt me these days. Like basically everything Lectric Panda, especially PSQ and Fritz.

MirrorEyEs

16 Dec 2016

Got two bugs with FM4 on R9, Windows 7 64 bit, can anyone confirm?

1) FM4 does not respond to gate inputs from sequencers Redrum or Propulsion. Tested it with Reasons own synths and Antidote and they all work as expected.

2) When browsing combi patches an error window pops up and no sound is produced, but if you select a different patch then go back to the patch that caused the error it works fine, strange.
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

fieldframe
RE Developer

16 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:

Yeah sure, I'll go with that, whatever makes me feel better right now :)

I guess I'll just have to write more songs to make sure all my synths gets used. I'm pretty much into to the whole "one synth per song/EP" thing at the moment. FM4 will have to stand in line. I'm currently working with Legend and Chip64 for my EP projects. Then after that the plan is to dive into Expanse. And after that who knows? There's so much stuff to choose from, FM4, JPS Harmonic Synthesizer, Snakebite, Red70 just to name a few.
Hmm maybe FM4 will have to cut in line before Expanse.

As long as there won't be any REs released in the next 6-8 months or so there won't be any problem at all. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that :)
My problem is when I try a synth and make something I really like with it. Now what? Am I just going to leave that project orphaned, or am I going to pick up the synth and make more? Song challenges are the most dangerous: There's nothing like producing a complete track with just one instrument to convince me it's worth adding that instrument to my collection.

That said, I don't think there are any REs I regret purchasing. Even the ones that don't get used regularly are good for inspiration when I need to step away from what I usually use. In fact, that's my personal song challenge for the weekend: Make a song with the synth I use the least. Maybe I should start a new thread to see if anyone else wants to take this challenge. :)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Dec 2016

fieldframe wrote: My problem is when I try a synth and make something I really like with it. Now what? Am I just going to leave that project orphaned, or am I going to pick up the synth and make more? Song challenges are the most dangerous: There's nothing like producing a complete track with just one instrument to convince me it's worth adding that instrument to my collection.

That said, I don't think there are any REs I regret purchasing. Even the ones that don't get used regularly are good for inspiration when I need to step away from what I usually use. In fact, that's my personal song challenge for the weekend: Make a song with the synth I use the least. Maybe I should start a new thread to see if anyone else wants to take this challenge. :)
Yeah i know the feeling. But as long as you finish a song before the trial period is over you still have a chance to say no :)

I have on a few occasions made complete songs during the trial and still not bought it, even if I got pretty good results with it. Any new synth is fun to play around with but I can pretty much tell whether I click with it or not. It's not only about the sound for me, it's just as much about the workflow. Some synths just overwhelm me and they become just a preset bank, which is ok sometimes but I'm not likely I'll go to it on a regular basis.

The problem I have with buying too much stuff is not so much about the money being spent. It's that I want things to be fairly simple when I write music. Having 18 (I counted) synths to choose from is not a good thing for me. And that's just the synth part, then there's all the EQs, compressors, reverbs to choose from. For this reason I usually uninstall REs I know I won't be using for a while. I can always reinstall them again whenever I want to use them.

MirrorEyEs

23 Dec 2016

Just me then!

I'll email Primal Audio and see what's what.
Reason 12 - Horrible plastic M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a battered pair of Sony MDR V6 cans

mataya

24 Dec 2016

I had problems with fm4. Just dragging the preset on to it and error pops out saying you can still save our work, but fm4 is not working any more. Something like that. It's not often, but it shouldn't be there at all, right?

M

michal788

09 Jan 2017

The FM4 synthesizer is still crashing sometimes.
I use the newest 2.0 patch and do nothing strange. :s

jonheal

09 Jan 2017

I have not seen this behavior. I wonder if it's tied to a particular CPU architecture or something like that?
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Skullture

10 Jan 2017

Hahaha, fantastic. :puf_bigsmile: comment of the year already made in january

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

15 Jan 2017

Just started playing around with this synth right now since I've decided I'm gonna write an EP with it.
It's a pretty cool synth. I don't know much about FM synths but so far I'm liking this one. Nice character and easy to work with, not too many options which is a big plus for me. I like it nice and simple.

Easily worth the 25 bucks I spent on it.

MirrorEyEs

25 Jan 2017

Would like to see a CV input for the Feedback knob, Combi I know!

When using algorithms with feedback it acts like an LP filter. Algo 16 with the unison gives you instant DnB reese basslines/leads and supersaw sounds.

• Information