ABL3 - Help

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
graeme75

19 May 2015

Hi

Im a fairly new Reason user (8.2) and have bought the ABL3 RE.  I can make different patterns on the internal sequencer in ABL3, but have no idea how I get that into the main reason sequencer.  How do I tell the main Reason sequencer to play pattern 2 then 4 then 2 then 1 for instance?  There is nothing in the manual (that I can see) that mentions this.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers
Graeme

tibah

19 May 2015

There is a little icon called "create pattern lane" for every device that is using a pattern system (like Redrum) at the top of the sequencer device list. Create one for the ABL and it should allow you to draw clips that can alter the patterns.

EDIT: Ok, seems it doesn't work that way for the ABL (or any RE maybe?). Right-click -> Edit automation on the pattern switch it is then.

One could think RE do support that feature by now. :frown:

JoshuaPhilgarlic

19 May 2015

tibah wrote:One could think RE do support that feature by now. :frown:
Nope, this is - besides Pattern-to track - one of the most requested features for REs.

graeme75

19 May 2015

Cheers for the speedy response.  The create pattern icon is greyed out when you choose the ABL3 track lane.  It is not greyed out for the Redrum or Dr Octorex lanes?

Cheers
Graeme

tibah

19 May 2015

It does work for native Reason devices, but not for Rack Extensions. Your best option is to automate ABL's pattern switch.

arqui

19 May 2015

Hi,   you can create a track parameter Automation and select pattern.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

PSoames

19 May 2015

arqui wrote:Hi,   you can create a track parameter Automation and select pattern.
That's it. After you've got the track lane in position you can draw in the pattern selection, but make things easy for yourself and use the snap and snap value (Bar, 1/2, 1/4, etc.) settings in the tool bar ribbon at the top of the sequencer.

Or you can record the automation from the device as you select the pattern and edit the points after. You will need to do this if for example you want to switch from pattern 4 to 1 as it will record the patterns in between.

joeyluck

19 May 2015

And since you say you are fairly new, just in case you weren't aware...

You can use Alt/Option + Mouse Click on any automatable parameter to edit automation. This will automatically create an automation lane for the parameter you click. 

You can also use CTRL + Mouse Click or simply Right Mouse Click the parameter to select 'Edit Automation' or even 'Edit Remote Override Mapping' so that you can assign a MIDI control to that parameter and record automation that way.

:)

TheGodOfRainbows

20 May 2015

Well brace yourselves but I am completely baffled by the sequencer. I have never used a real world version of something like this so pardon if it is obvious. I can't believe how much trouble I'm having with understanding how to create what I hear in my head with the built in sequencer.

It may seem like common knowledge to everyone here but I've always used the DAW's native sequencer more than anything else. I've also rarely used arpeggiators of any form and instead drawn in the notes in the native sequencer.

I was worried I would encounter this sort of confusion with the AB3

It does of course sounds wonderful though

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 May 2015

Don't feel bad. I refused to use the inbuilt Seq whilst making my Song Challenge entry.

I think it was designed (by Roland) to be obtuse. To be fair almost all things like this were horrid at this time. My Casio SZ-1 Sequencer could make the Dalai Lama go on a killing spree. I feel bad I ever sold it to another musician - the band never made another record.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

20 May 2015

Hi!
Yes, the pattern sequencer can be confusing at first. But it's actually a bit simplified compared to the real 303 and works more like ReBirth that I think Reasons users may be more familiar with. Part of the point of this confusing pattern interface is the "happy accident" way of working. Many classic house tracks that used pattern based machines came about by accidentally programming something that was not at all intended. ABL3 help facilitate that :) . In acid house for example the sound is actually less about a musical pattern and more about the tweaking of the controls.

In any case you can still use ABL3 as a normal midi device by setting it to Pattern Off/CV In mode, or just punch Random until you find a nice pattern. 

--Mike

arqui

20 May 2015

Hi Mike. I have one question.
Why I can´t use the 5° octave of my keyboard ( the high octave ) with ABL3,? all notes are the same.
Thanks regards

mike^audiorealism
RE Developer

20 May 2015

arqui wrote:Hi Mike. I have one question.
Why I can´t use the 5° octave of my keyboard ( the high octave ) with ABL3,? all notes are the same.
Thanks regards
Hi,
ABL3 only has a 5 octave range (remember, it's a bass synth!). But you can reach quite high pitches by using the tuning control and using those octaves.

Also: The original 303 only has 3 octaves of range and the tuning control only affects it about +/- 8 semitones (at least on the unit in the lab here). This is one area were we extended the capabilities in ABL3.

arqui

20 May 2015

Thanks Mike, I Imagine that response, congratulation Abl3 is amazing.

It would be possible to add a button or Knob of double note in the sequencer (like Flam in Redrum)? it would be very useful
Thanks

graeme75

20 May 2015

Thanks all who replied. Automation lane set up in my template now to choose patterns

Cheers
Graeme

raelic

20 May 2015

If this helps anyone as I was/am certainly new with sequencers like this:

I used the device sequencer for some of my song, but also wanted to use the reason sequencer for other parts of the note lane. If you do not want to use the step sequencer on the device you can do all of the same features in the standard note lane. Set the pattern to "Off CV in" to allow the note lane (or Arpegiators etc). Accent can be controlled via the Velocity (over 100 if my memory serves correct from the manual?). Tie can be accomplished by overlapping a note on the sequencer after another note has been triggered (See below on the first two notes). The 'up' and 'down' seem (I could be wrong) to simply be an octave up or down? The rest is drawing in or playing the notes like you normally would. Just remember to leave the gated notes between to get the same feel (as shown below). 

Attachments
ABL3-example.jpg
ABL3-example.jpg (315.51 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
- Matt Dillon

My Music

mayzon

21 May 2015

Did anyone else notice that when you draw in automation for the pattern selection, Off/cv in is located at the top of the lane with pattern 1 at the bottom.

It's kind of counter intuitive, not sure if its like that for a reason but every other synths automation mirrors the synths controls?

DinoJ

21 May 2015

mayzon wrote:Did anyone else notice that when you draw in automation for the pattern selection, Off/cv in is located at the top of the lane with pattern 1 at the bottom.

It's kind of counter intuitive, not sure if its like that for a reason but every other synths automation mirrors the synths controls?
I know what you are saying but the way I viewed this when using ABL3 is that in actual fact off/CV is the last position of the dial, so it makes sense that it is at the top in the pattern lane.

I think if it was moved to the bottom of the dial, so it was at the bottom on the pattern lane, this would be less practical and more confusing if you were using the the 4 patterns as this would mean you would have to start higher up just to get pattern 1. At least now you know Pattern 1 is the absolute bottom.  Just my thoughts though  :)

mayzon

21 May 2015

mayzon wrote:Did anyone else notice that when you draw in automation for the pattern selection, Off/cv in is located at the top of the lane with pattern 1 at the bottom.

DinoJ wrote:
I know what you are saying but the way I viewed this when using ABL3 is that in actual fact off/CV is the last position of the dial, so it makes sense that it is at the top in the pattern lane.

I think if it was moved to the bottom of the dial, so it was at the bottom on the pattern lane, this would be less practical and more confusing if you were using the the 4 patterns as this would mean you would have to start higher up just to get pattern 1. At least now you know Pattern 1 is the absolute bottom.  Just my thoughts though  :)

Yeah it's not really an issue just an observation. It won't bother be in the future if they don't change it imo.

• Information