Synapse Fat Space In THE SHOP

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Majestik Monkey

19 May 2015

I have been pondering a new Verb for ages I do have U-he A .... & i still find RV7000 very usefull, but i wanted something with that Extra Feel ' So tried Fat space . . .  but was left wondering why no Long Tails ? .... ? .....  So yesterday i Bought AD480 instead ! A very nice Reverb indeed :t2018:  with tails to Boot & easy on CPU too . . . . [ Which is amazing for a RE-reVerb ]

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2015

ProfessaKaos wrote:Cool Reverb with a different vibe.
Would love a "Sync Pre Delay" feature on the DR-1 Deep Reverb, this feature would most welcome on all Reverbs IMO.
mind2069 wrote:
Yup and I wonder why they never make the "decay, tail" syncable too
Because it would change depending on the level of the reverb in the mix. When loud you hear the full decay down to silence, but when used softer you would hear a shorter decay - basic "science" here! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

19 May 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote:I have been pondering a new Verb for ages I do have U-he A .... & i still find RV7000 very usefull, but i wanted something with that Extra Feel ' So tried Fat space . . .  but was left wondering why no Long Tails ? .... ? .....  So yesterday i Bought AD480 instead ! A very nice Reverb indeed :t2018:  with tails to Boot & easy on CPU too . . . . [ Which is amazing for a RE-reVerb ]
No long tails because it's a room simulator type effect. I LOVE AD480 for long tails, but it sucks for exactly the types of things Fat Space excels at. 

To answer many of the other comments in this thread: If you don't know why this effect is different from most others, you obviously don't need it!
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

eXode

19 May 2015

I have to say that the Combo of Fat Space + DR-1 is very nice, esp if you use really long tails on the DR-1. Instant ambient/space music drones! :)

Exowildebeest

19 May 2015

eXode wrote:I have to say that the Combo of Fat Space + DR-1 is very nice, esp if you use really long tails on the DR-1. Instant ambient/space music drones! :)
They both have a similar "fat and warm" sound imo. I have yet to try the combination though, seems interesting!

I do think Fat Space is a bit of a misleading name - maybe Fat Room would have been more fitting. Space kind of suggest... Biiig. Cuz space be big, yo.

K1TTENM1TTEN

19 May 2015

I am still confused. Everyone keeps on talking about the DR-1 like it is a giant reverb. I may be wrong here, but it is the exact same reverb that is included in Antidote. In fact, I ran two instances of the same patch, one through the DR-1 directly and one through the input of Antidote, I dialed in the reverbs the same (they even have the same number of knobs and share the same locations) and the output of both sounds were identical to my ears. That being said, I really enjoy the DR-1/Antidote reverb, but I would not consider it "super deep." 80's and epic, yes. Haha, and perhaps I am not understanding "deep" here, but Rob Papin's RE-Verb is the "deepest" reverb I have heard on Reason when using the "Space" settings. It is the only RE to get super close to Strymon's huge verbs that I have played with. 

All that to say, I am suuuupppeer excited to try out the new the new Fat Space RE. I absolutely LOVE Synapse audio's REs, and Antidote by far was the greatest purchase I continually fall in love with more and more. I am crossing my fingers on this! Reverbs are my favorite effect period. :-D

dvdrtldg

19 May 2015

^^^ Completely agree about RP Verb as the spaciest one on offer within Reason.

First impressions about Fat Space: I haven't used it with any other FX yet but on it's own, seems like a device that does one thing very well. I love the simplicity of it and can definitely see myself using it, but for me it's a bit "niche" to drop $80 on. Bring on the sales

gak

20 May 2015

That's the first thought I had. You have the DR-1 (which I tried, then bought at 45 bucks, seemed fair) which you could gate using a fairly easy method and have the ability for "standard" verb...OR you could spend nearly twice as much for what is indeed a niche device.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't get it or that it's not killer, but it's weird to me that it's nearly double the price of the other verb. 

@RPverb: w/o the details, I got my vst version a million years ago. I've always loved the sound, hated the interface. Maybe I should revisit since some RE's are easier to control than the vst versions.

selig
RE Developer

20 May 2015

That's the first thought I had. You have the DR-1 (which I tried, then bought at 45 bucks, seemed fair) which you could gate using a fairly easy method and have the ability for "standard" verb...
Price issues aside…
The Fat Space is NOT a gated reverb - totally different things. BUT, it CAN sound like a gated reverb due to the decay pattern/shape controls. Where you would hear the difference is as soon as you have two sounds in the reverb at once (very common), or have one sound hit a second time before the first is finished.

Because of this I NEVER use a gate to achieve what is commonly called a "gated" reverb, as I MUCH prefer the approach of devices such as Fat Space. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

rabu

23 May 2015

Love this device! Very useful if you have a singer who finishes a song in two different locations: One slightly reverberant space, other one bone-dry singing booth. Very helpful to compensate the different spaces.

MarkTarlton

23 May 2015

I see this being handy for drums! I haven't used it though :)

Theo.M

23 May 2015

Great little reverb for drums, need to do some more testing but it's got a real unique sound vs the other synapse verb. Be back with more of a review later.

Tincture

23 May 2015

Ok I'm a bit confused... surely this can't be compared to the other Synapse DR-1 Verb...? I reckon that's the most inappropriate reverb for drums..? I have read Selig saying things like... "if you don't know what it's for you don't need it"... which is fair enough. But I'd love to butt into the elite knowledger's and say.. "what is it really good for/at (and why?)". :)

pjeudy

23 May 2015

Tincture wrote:Ok I'm a bit confused... surely this can't be compared to the other Synapse DR-1 Verb...? I reckon that's the most inappropriate reverb for drums..? I have read Selig saying things like... "if you don't know what it's for you don't need it"... which is fair enough. But I'd love to butt into the elite knowledger's and say.. "what is it really good for/at (and why?)". :)
if you listen to what selig said and watch a video on this thread I posted... it might let you get a better understanding.
it a specialized device, it can be used creatively but it's not what we have in the shop so it can't be compared feature for feature say with like DR1
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Tincture

23 May 2015

Tincture wrote:Ok I'm a bit confused... surely this can't be compared to the other Synapse DR-1 Verb...? I reckon that's the most inappropriate reverb for drums..? I have read Selig saying things like... "if you don't know what it's for you don't need it"... which is fair enough. But I'd love to butt into the elite knowledger's and say.. "what is it really good for/at (and why?)". :)
pjeudy wrote: if you listen to what selig said and watch a video on this thread I posted... it might let you get a better understanding. it a specialized device, it can be used creatively but it's not what we have in the shop so it can't be compared feature for feature say with like DR1
My question remains I'm sorry to say. I respect you and particularly Giles but ... what is it really good for/at (and why?)... I could understand the reply ... TRY it and see...  but I'm hoping to get info for free ;)

pjeudy

23 May 2015

Tincture wrote:My question remains
I hear you ! :thumbup:
Until you decide to try it...take a look at this video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZR0Y8KkiyA

He's not using the Synapse device but... hes using basically the same tech.I would say think of "ROOM" not Long Tail reverb
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

joeyluck

24 May 2015

I find the tail to still be a bit too short even for rooms. It's still a sudden cutout at most lengths and shapes. Not very natural. So, I wouldn't call it a "room simulator" as that might be misleading and a disservice to what makes it unique.  

thefixr

24 May 2015

pjeudy wrote:I took a listen at the demo audio... I didn't hear... how the tail of this reverb sound the way I want to, for example with a single clap or snare hit or even a quick vocal. Yes I does sound fat and thick my kind of reverb... but It seems to be one of those devices you really need to play with your self. upgrade DR1 jokes a side... has someone demoed it ? What are your opinion on the sound... and parameter set ?
In my opinion DR1 is the best reverb I've used. I can get RV7000 to sound like it but DR1 sounds perfect right from the jump. 

mm
YouTube.com/iamthefixr

pjeudy

24 May 2015

joeyluck wrote:I find the tail to still be a bit too short even for rooms. It's still a sudden cutout at most lengths and shapes. Not very natural. So, I wouldn't call it a "room simulator" as that might be misleading and a disservice to what makes it unique.  
Joey You think it might just be an effect device?
On the video I posted and in the demo in the shop..it seems to simulate A room reverb mostly..it might be a short Room and it might even cut off to suddenly..but I'm not sure what else to call it if not a Room reverb heavily gated.It's called a reverb everywhere else.

pjeudy

24 May 2015

ok next on the device I'm looking into what about Le Space...how do you feel about it

• Information