ChordSet failing to play chords in Re-Tron with a Matrix

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Libraquaricorn

15 May 2015

I just bought ChordSet - since my trial had run out a month after it was released - and the first thing I did was to hook it up with a Re-Tron and a Matrix: It fails. It will only play the root note - and transpose it if I choose to do so. Then I hook it up with a Subtractor, just to see that I had understood the consept of how the ChordSet device works and apparently I do because that works fine 

Conclusion: ChordSet just does not work with Re-Tron.

Am I right or am I missing something?

It got me thinking: Is Re-Tron in nature actually monophonic and the chords I can play on it with my keyboard simply a kind of serial, multiple monophonic effect? After all there are no polyphony settings on it.

Well, anyway, the number one reason I bought ChordSet is to use it with the Matrix. It would be nice then to also be able to use that awesome combo with Re-Tron.

hamu

15 May 2015

Libraquaricorn wrote:I just bought ChordSet - since my trial had run out a month after it was released - and the first thing I did was to hook it up with a Re-Tron and a Matrix: It fails. It will only play the root note - and transpose it if I choose to do so. Then I hook it up with a Subtractor, just to see that I had understood the consept of how the ChordSet device works and apparently I do because that works fine 

It got me thinking: Is Re-Tron in nature actually monophonic and the chords I can play on it with my keyboard simply a kind of serial, multiple monophonic effect? After all there are no polyphony settings on it.

Well, anyway, the number one reason I bought ChordSet is to use it with the Matrix. It would be nice then to also be able to use that awesome combo with Re-Tron.

I sent the following to GForce in February this year:
The Re-Tron seems to handle Seq Control Gate & CV differently than other devices, and as I understand it, not as specified for Rack Extensions. It seems additional CV notes will always end any sounding notes.
The normal way this is handled is to add additional notes as long as the Gate input is on (not 0). This way chords can be played via CV inputs, a principle that is utilized by many CV generating Rack Extensions.
Is this a known bug with the Re-Tron?
Is there any plan to fix this?
And a week later got the following answer:
Hi Hamu,
Apologies for our late reply. We are a tiny company and have been affected by personal holidays recently.

Thank you for your suggestion. We take your point entirely and will resolve it in a future build when we are able to.

Regards,
Graeme Rawson
GForce Software Ltd 

Libraquaricorn

15 May 2015

Libraquaricorn wrote:I just bought ChordSet - since my trial had run out a month after it was released - and the first thing I did was to hook it up with a Re-Tron and a Matrix: It fails. It will only play the root note - and transpose it if I choose to do so. Then I hook it up with a Subtractor, just to see that I had understood the consept of how the ChordSet device works and apparently I do because that works fine 

hamu wrote:
I sent the following to GForce in February this year:
The Re-Tron seems to handle Seq Control Gate & CV differently than other devices, and as I understand it, not as specified for Rack Extensions. It seems additional CV notes will always end any sounding notes.
The normal way this is handled is to add additional notes as long as the Gate input is on (not 0). This way chords can be played via CV inputs, a principle that is utilized by many CV generating Rack Extensions.
Is this a known bug with the Re-Tron?
Is there any plan to fix this?
hamu wrote:
And a week later got the following answer:
Hi Hamu,
Apologies for our late reply. We are a tiny company and have been affected by personal holidays recently.

Thank you for your suggestion. We take your point entirely and will resolve it in a future build when we are able to.

Regards,
Graeme Rawson
GForce Software Ltd 

hamu wrote:
Thanks hamu! I've always felt that Re-Tron was...different in a way...not completely integrated in the Reason environment somehow, without making me want to dismiss it as "buggy", but this certainly enforces that feeling and I guess the developers should look into the matter and try to improve the integration of this fantastic instrument. Well, it's nice to see that someone has pointed this out to the dev already. Is it fair to assume that the holidays are over by now?

Kazz

16 May 2015

Can you run it through a Combinator and let the Combinator send the chords on to Re-Tron? Does that work?

hamu

17 May 2015

Yes, Kazz, this works. Good thinking. So it seems to be a problem only with the CV input sockets on the device itself, and Re-Tron otherwise seems to work in a proper polyphonic manner.
Oh, nostalgia! A Re-Tron flute duet bring me right back to the 70's! :love:
Kazz wrote:Can you run it through a Combinator and let the Combinator send the chords on to Re-Tron? Does that work?

Kazz

17 May 2015

Cool, I'm glad there's at least a good workaround available, but I hope they fix the CV input anyway. ;)

Libraquaricorn

19 May 2015

Kazz wrote:Cool, I'm glad there's at least a good workaround available, but I hope they fix the CV input anyway. ;)
Thanks a bunch, Kazz, For this tip! Problem solved :-)

• Information