Some Thoughts on Antidote

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
BillyKodak

15 May 2015

I'm a big fan of Thor, hugely impressed by Predator, and deeply besotted by Ivoks. But just recently I've been using Antidote almost exclusively, and here's why.

Most of my music aims for a specifically 70s/early 80s horror/Giallo/soundtracky vibe, and my dream would be to get my mitts on a real CS80 or Arp 2600. Until that happens, all I can say is that Antidote gets me to that sort of territory quicker than any other synth in the rack. If somebody had told me that the clavi sounds and Adventura patch were specifically created to capture the spirit of the CS80 I would have said, "Great job". And if you're looking for that bass sound that Ken Freedman used so brilliantly on the War of the Worlds soundtrack (the greatest CS80 album EVER, everything by Vangelis included), just go to "sawy filler" (in the pads section) trim the sustain, and use it in the bass register. And if you have the FET or LA-2A compressors in your rack, running it through either of those beasts will add another layer of magic. 

I know that a huge part of Antidote's appeal is the on-board effects (which are truly magical). But the dry sound has a certain something, and the layout is a dream come true for me. I'm only a moderate synth "twiddler", and that beautifully set out mixer section ---- why don't more synth designers use faders like these? ---- really encourages me to experiment with the oscillator mix at source.

There's just something soulful about the synth's sound. It can sound ultra-modern of course, but there is always an underlying "plumpness" to the sound that sets it apart. To my ears, at least. Does this synth remind anyone else of the CS80? Or am I just projecting my Yamaha fetish onto this lovely module? Peace, Kodak

Some Desperate Glory

15 May 2015

Hey did you do the Bridmore Lodge Tapes album using exclusively Antidote?  If so, WOW! you should be an endorser.  The sound across the tracks is consistent and drips analog vibes.  It sounds very CS80 to be.

By the way, did you use a guitar in the track "This Was Judy's Room"?  It sounds amazing.
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

BillyKodak

15 May 2015

Hi, SDG:

No, I hadn't purchased Antidote at that time. Yes, the guitar on TWJD was a real one, fed through an instance of Scream 4. Thank you for the kind words, sir. :-) Peace, Kodak.

Thesim

15 May 2015

Hi Kodak just off topic, I'm listening to your album on band camp now and instantly hooked as soon as I heard the first song, brilliant textures and melodies so far. Excellent stuff.

Simon

BillyKodak

15 May 2015

Wow, thanks Simon. Much appreciated. :-)

Some Desperate Glory

15 May 2015

BillyKodak wrote:Hi, SDG:

No, I hadn't purchased Antidote at that time. Yes, the guitar on TWJD was a real one, fed through an instance of Scream 4. Thank you for the kind words, sir. :-) Peace, Kodak.
Sounds great.  So what synth did you use?  Thor?  Or was it not Reason?
Still nostalgic about the old days, writing songs with my Amiga 500, Korg M1, and Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler.

BillyKodak

15 May 2015

SDG:
Thank you again. :-) Primarily M-Tron, Thor and Ivoks from the rack, and some outside stuff (Roland RS202 string machine, Korg Micro-preset, Juno 6, upright piano, and some reel-to reel shenanigans). All the tape hiss was generated from the reel-to-reel. The Audiomatic I used quite a bit: the tape setting is absolutely brilliant, I think. Cheers, Kodak.

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 May 2015

Hi Billy

I struggle with Antidote. I never really know why. I can get results like this track which is 100% Antidote

https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com ... ward-again

But I just find it hard to get into. I find the layout frustrating, the ENVs frustrating and the Filters uninspiring. That said when I do apply myself I always get useful and nice results that work well in the mix - maybe they even sound fatter than Thor mixes. I just usually have to remind myself to grab it as Thor & Sub are so good for me.

This may give you a giggle seeing you are into horror movie soundtrack sort of thing. Just be sure to read the blurb first as it is meant to be bad.

https://benedictroff-marsh.bandcamp.com ... the-horror

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

moofi

18 May 2015

One thing I find a bit odd about Antidote is some of its missing modulationtargets like why e.g. couldn´t I choose the modenvelope amount, glide or several effectparameters to be modulated?

Otherwise quite a pleasing synth, well structured/designed even though it could use an additional filter :-D

eXode

18 May 2015

Antidote is also my favorite instrument due to it's ease of use (even better with the new knobs) and it's great sound, everything just clicks with me.

I agree with moofi that it would have been nice with some more destinations. I would have liked combined targets for OSC1+2 Pan and Modifier for instance.
I hope that we'll get a successor to Antidote with i.e. 3 oscillators, 2 filters, and an additional modifier per oscillator (simply put). :)

Hydrosonic

19 May 2015

Antidote is the best Reason has to offer in terms of trance stuff. 

Sadly, other stuff offers more

riemac

19 May 2015

I`m also a big fan of Antidote. I hope that Synapse sometime will make a Dune 2 RE. I saw there new Fat space reverbe and the knobs look like the ones on dune 2. Maybe with the SDK 2.2 this is possible.

Benedict
Competition Winner

19 May 2015

I'd definitely look at a new Synapse synth. If there was one...

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Heater

19 May 2015

My favourite Reason synth.  In a word.  It's awesome.

My only gripe is that I wish the envelopes would last longer.  Maybe a 2x switch would be useful.

riemac

19 May 2015

Hydrosonic wrote:Antidote is the best Reason has to offer in terms of trance stuff. 

Sadly, other stuff offers more
You should try KHS One and the Exode Trance soundset. One is a simple Synth but realy great for Trance and has a very high quality.

MirEko

19 May 2015

Still my favourite synth in reason, followed by parsec
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

mind2069

19 May 2015

Antidote is amazing, seeing the eq they pulled off and how they mastered the sdk 2, they could pull off an amazing new synth, I hope they are working on one or have it in mind.

• Information