Real Talk - McDSP Compressors

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mbfrancis

14 May 2015

I only ever (over) used the Chancomp on vocals, where it fattens them tremendously.  I've backed off since and, since I have the FET, I don't use it on anything.  What are the best applications?

Buscomp is great but if you slow the attack it devours CPU (for me).
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

Dave909

14 May 2015

Why would you eat wheatabix when you got bacon??
submonsterz wrote:
Ocean of Waves wrote:The RE670 is like Bacon, good on anything!
Euuww tastes nasty on Wheatabix trust me on this ....

gak

14 May 2015

Instant reputation/like per last comment :)  

challism

14 May 2015

Regarding the DCAM ChanComp attack knob issue, I just posted a request on their facebook wall here: https://www.facebook.com/fxpansion

Hopefully they will fix this serious issue.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MDTerps2015

14 May 2015

GRIFTY wrote:It's sad that such an old device has such a glaring flaw and it's only just being brought to light. Is anybody but us buying RE's???
LOL I bought it FX compressors both the chan comp and bus comp. The bus comp works very good but i tested the chan comp against the MC Dsp while considering them and i also thought the chan comp sounded like trash. I got a lot of distortion out of my testing and hardly any GR. Oh well they got this sucker too. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

propsiman

15 May 2015

Regarding the DCAM ChanComp attack knob issue, I just posted a request on their facebook wall here: https://www.facebook.com/fxpansion

What for an issue ?

challism

15 May 2015

propsiman wrote:

What for an issue ?
Attack knob doesn't do anything.  I tried to contact them thru their website, but it requires and count, and I don't want to bother setting up an account.  Anyway, their FB wall should work.  It's odd that they have a knob that doesn't do anything.  Seriously odd.  Especially given the quality of there other devices.  I freaking love Etch Red.  And Tres looks pretty sweet, too.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Ocean of Waves

28 Aug 2015

Anybody knows where I can find the manual? I'd like to know what the two switches on the left do exactly.
One would think the Listen / Comp is a quick way to enabled the Comp but I found that the Listen function does something to the sound.

selig
RE Developer

28 Aug 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:Anybody knows where I can find the manual? I'd like to know what the two switches on the left do exactly.
One would think the Listen / Comp is a quick way to enabled the Comp but I found that the Listen function does something to the sound.
Both of those switches (assuming McDSP here) are for the Key (aka: side chain/ducking) inputs. The "Key/In" button allows you to keep the Key cables plugged in but turn the effect on/off. The "Listen/Comp" switch is basically a "solo" button for the key input - you can hear the input on it's own to help assertion it's affect on the overall compression, useful when filtering/EQ'ing the Key signal for various effects.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Klaus-Morlock

28 Aug 2015

I use the 670 a lot. It is the most transparent comp in my collection. The Moo is very subtle, and quite pleasing to my ears. Both are very easy on CPU. I like the CL-2L, but it is much less transparent that the 670. I personally couldn't get (quickly at least) the quality of a 670 using the CL-2L.

Tincture

28 Aug 2015

I'd have never thought it 10 years ago but I think secretly a part of me loves compressors! I am kind of prideful over them. Knowing each has its own special charms.

Ocean of Waves

30 Aug 2015

selig wrote:
Ocean of Waves wrote:Anybody knows where I can find the manual? I'd like to know what the two switches on the left do exactly.
Both of those switches (assuming McDSP here) are for the Key (aka: side chain/ducking) inputs. The "Key/In" button allows you to keep the Key cables plugged in but turn the effect on/off. The "Listen/Comp" switch is basically a "solo" button for the key input - you can hear the input on it's own to help assertion it's affect on the overall compression, useful when filtering/EQ'ing the Key signal for various effects.
Thank you, have you tried to use it without a key input but with the Listen on? I swear I hear something different.

Yonatan

30 Aug 2015

I have decided I need the 670!

Will try to catch it if on sale again. Lost the trial and cannot remember its feel,
but I do like the way ppl describe it and I like the simplicity of its layout.
Moo and Frg I tried recently. Moo was so very subtile and light, and FRG was a work horse,
but reminded me of the stock MClass compressor. So I concluded none of these two were
a must for me at the moment. But I would certainly use them if I had them, but what is
the 670 closest to in comparison? I like the thought of a very low hit on CPU.

Tincture

30 Aug 2015

I got the 670 on it's own for a while and liked it as a riding compressor (fairly slow response time). Also it's got no latency so can be used on parallel channels. I then got the other two when the bundle was reduced. I have to say I reach most for the Moo now as a riding compressor because of its extra control over the attack/release compared with the C670 but that tends to be on busses... The 670 is very nice on single instruments. It's all personal preference though and you'll have your own opinion. Go with that. The FRG is nice to use in parallel instead of FET. Then again Normen's RE makes working around latency easy.

Rice

30 Aug 2015

I own about 80% of the comps in the shop (absolutely love compressors), but more and more I go to the 670: transparency, low DSP, no latency and ease of use. I've never used the original 670 before so I have no clue about its dynamics or sound, but I do have a love for the plug-in. Before I got the 670, I used the Cakewalk LA-2A RE and still love it, but the 670 has just been more of my personal favorite as of late. Love it even more for what I paid for it!

selig
RE Developer

31 Aug 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:
selig wrote:
Thank you, have you tried to use it without a key input but with the Listen on? I swear I hear something different.
With nothing plugged in, when you select Key AND Listen you should hear nothing (because nothing is plugged in). When you select EITHER Key or Listen with nothing plugged in, you won't hear any difference at all because there is nothing different.

Typical applications for the Listen mode are when you are using the key input with a filtered version of the input, and need to hear what the filter is doing to the key input. Again, Listen is basically a "solo" button for the key input, IF there IS a key input.
Selig Audio, LLC

Ocean of Waves

01 Sep 2015

I totally understand the Key and Listen functions now, the only thing I'm asking if you tried the C670 without Key inputs and on Listen mode. I hear something different. It maybe a volume bump though! I'm going to do ABX tests tonight, to be sure.

Ocean of Waves

01 Sep 2015

BTW, Mcdsp should provide a manual of some sorts, IMHO!

thotbott

01 Sep 2015

I read somewhere about the mcdsp comps and eqs they intentionally didn't do a manual for them and just said "trust your ears" :)

• Information