Real Talk - McDSP EQ's

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
K1TTENM1TTEN

13 May 2015

Good afternoon everyone! I was curious about the McDSP EQ's and had a few questions for you all.

1) Who is using them? 
2) Why these over Lab-ONE, Kuassa, Softube, Synapse, etc?
3) How exactly are these different from any other EQ on the market?
4) How are you using them in your tracks and on what?

mbfrancis

13 May 2015

I'm interested in this too!  I can buy one, trying to figure out if I even need it (already have trident).
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

challism

13 May 2015

I would really like to get my hands on that Trident.  Do you love it, mbfrancis?  I hear it is an amazing EQ.  I knew I couldn't pull the trigger when it went on sale for 50% off about 6 months ago, so I didn't even trial it.  I'm not so sure about these McDSP EQs.  I already have EVE-AT4 and Black Knight.  I feel like I am pretty set for EQs, heck I think the M-class stuff is good enough, I just have the other EQ REs because they came in the rig bundle I bought. 
I also want to know what the OP asked; is there anything about these McDSP EQs that is special?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mbfrancis

14 May 2015

challism wrote:I would really like to get my hands on that Trident.  Do you love it, mbfrancis?  I hear it is an amazing EQ.  I knew I couldn't pull the trigger when it went on sale for 50% off about 6 months ago, so I didn't even trial it.
I got it at $100.  I would say I like it a lot, and would use it way more, but my system is old, so it can't take more than a couple unless I render everything to audio to mix.  I usually put one on my master bus at the end to add some high end at the end (my ears suck).  It's lovely.  $150 lovely?...I don't know - I've heard people can copy the EQ curves and get similar results w stock devices, you just have to go broad.  Dunno.  People rave about the saturation, but I don't really use it.  I could survive without it.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

challism

14 May 2015

My ears pretty much suck, too.  It drives me crazy.  I can't hear subtle differences that guys on the forums spend hours debating over.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MDTerps2015

14 May 2015

Im in love with the Moo Toobe eq because of the bass response. The other two do nothing for me. I have the Kuassa bundle but Kuassa doesnt have that bass response. I dont know i want to buy the Moo Toobe but still trying to figure out if i even need the others. I know the Black Knight has incredible bass response but also eats dsp like no other channel eq.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

ProfessaKaos

15 May 2015

Anyone else experience a bug with these EQ's where the gain knobs become disabled until you move the frequency knobs?
I've experienced this on all 3 EQ's but it only tends to happen when the session I'm working in (while playing) is running at around 3 DSP bars or more, doesn't tend to happen when the DSP usage is lower.

Apart from that I love these EQ's, I think they sound quite smooth and natural, these are usually my go to for additive EQ'ing.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

gak

15 May 2015

The first EQ I tried outside of the SSL/built in stuff in reason was the trident. I was really disappointed. First off, it's kinda CPU hog. Second, I didn't feel the H/LP's were terribly effective for what I like to do. Third (and maybe most important) despite my eq skills, I really wasn't able to shape or sculp anything. 149usd????? A resounding NO would suffice :rofl:

What I like about these eq's is that depending on what your are after they are character eq's. Not sure that I'd be sold at 119 for the set......but 49? Yeah, I'd say I am. The least of which is the frog. It doesn't suck, but I just find that for "this or that" the other two seem to hit home. Something interesting to try: Take the MOO and just simply drop the "low" on something like a snare or a guitar. Tell me, do you not hear a nice "cut" that you didn't hear before? I also like the 670 for things like dropping the "low" and then boosting the high and then fine tuning the freq. 

Ymmv, but when I personally use this stuff it's to see if I can get from point a to b easier than something else. 

• Information