The future of Step Note Recorder

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1173
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 31 Dec 1969

bxbrkrz wrote:
buddard wrote:We have started working on the first big update of Step Node Recorder!

We're really happy with the first version we released, since it contains all the essential features and core functionality, plus some things that we didn't imagine from the beginning. But there were quite a few things that we decided to leave out in the first version, partly due to time constraints, and partly due to not being 100% sure which direction Step should go in. Primarily, we weren't really sure whether to 1) Add some kind of internal pattern support, or 2) Add more capabilities to the single sequence.

SDK 2.2 has now been officially announced, and it's not a secret that it didn't add any improved support for pattern devices. And we don't see any reason to expect this to appear anytime soon, either. Because of this (and some other factors) we have decided to take the second route: Expanding the capabilities of recording, editing and playing back a single sequence.

We already have a long list of ideas we're interested in, but (almost) nothing is set in stone and we're of course interested in hearing from you, the users! So we'd like to start a discussion around your gripes and needs, both from those of you who have been using Step for the last month, and from those of you that decided not to buy Step.

We won't be able to accommodate every wish, but we will carefully consider every suggestion and see how it fits into the overall picture. And we're going to try and be as transparent as possible in the process.

Any takers?
Can you to re trigger the step sequence only when the controller's key is pressed down? When you let go the step sequence would stop immediately. I want it to react as if it was a sampled phrase played on a pad of Kong, and as tight. 
Not planning to buy Cubase. Just making sure my suggestion gets picked up. Thank you.

User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

We have started working on the first big update of Step Note Recorder!

We're really happy with the first version we released, since it contains all the essential features and core functionality, plus some things that we didn't imagine from the beginning. But there were quite a few things that we decided to leave out in the first version, partly due to time constraints, and partly due to not being 100% sure which direction Step should go in. Primarily, we weren't really sure whether to 1) Add some kind of internal pattern support, or 2) Add more capabilities to the single sequence.

SDK 2.2 has now been officially announced, and it's not a secret that it didn't add any improved support for pattern devices. And we don't see any reason to expect this to appear anytime soon, either. Because of this (and some other factors) we have decided to take the second route: Expanding the capabilities of recording, editing and playing back a single sequence.

We already have a long list of ideas we're interested in, but (almost) nothing is set in stone and we're of course interested in hearing from you, the users! So we'd like to start a discussion around your gripes and needs, both from those of you who have been using Step for the last month, and from those of you that decided not to buy Step.

We won't be able to accommodate every wish, but we will carefully consider every suggestion and see how it fits into the overall picture. And we're going to try and be as transparent as possible in the process.

Any takers?


User avatar
Benedict
Posts: 1937
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast, Australia

Post 12 May 2015

You said "single sequence" didn't you. So that precludes multiple patterns. But you did give us that lovely switch to accommodate multiple Step Notes.

So for now I think I am all out of ideas (seeing you already implemented most of mine).

:)

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1528
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

Wow! No time to rest, Budd :) Awesome news ;)


User avatar
ncurry
Posts: 35
Joined: 18 Jan 2015
Location: York, PA USA

Post 12 May 2015

Off the top of my head (and I'd likely want to experiment with these before making a decision:

1) What about a way for each step to have it's own length (rather than automating the resolution parameter). For example, step 1 could be a quarter note, steps 2 and 3 are 8th notes, etc. The resolution knob could then scale all steps. Right now if I want to make one step longer, I could tie multiple steps together, but then I run out of steps more quickly.

2) What about a way to chain multiple devices together to get more than 32 steps? Granted, I could use CV Select to do this, but I don't think this replaces that device. I thought there was another RE that had this chaining functionality, but I can't remember what it is.

Nick

User avatar
-008'
Posts: 309
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

So we'd like to start a discussion around your gripes and needs, both from those of you who have been using Step for the last month, and from those of you that decided not to buy Step.
FWIW, I did not buy and probably never will. This has absolutely nothing to do with the device itself, only that I do not "step record" things. Never have, and likely never will. Also the "note to track" limitation has once and for all turned me off of anything RE-sequencer-related.

Just some feedback for your market research.. nothing more, nothing less! :)
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

ncurry wrote:Off the top of my head (and I'd likely want to experiment with these before making a decision:

1) What about a way for each step to have it's own length (rather than automating the resolution parameter). For example, step 1 could be a quarter note, steps 2 and 3 are 8th notes, etc. The resolution knob could then scale all steps. Right now if I want to make one step longer, I could tie multiple steps together, but then I run out of steps more quickly.
Yeah, this is something we've heard a lot, and we're looking into it. If you recall, early on in the alpha last year it was suggested to introduce "Metropolis style" step repeats, which have since then also appeared in Korde. This could definitely be an option.

I'm thinking to have the number of repeats always visible below each step, in a new lane below Tie. You could set the repeats to 0 to skip a step altogether. The default Repeat mode would be "Hold", but you should be able to change the repeat mode in some way, I'm just not sure how yet... I don't want to waste extra display real estate for this, so we could possibly put it in the velocity lane like Korde.
2) What about a way to chain multiple devices together to get more than 32 steps? Granted, I could use CV Select to do this, but I don't think this replaces that device. I thought there was another RE that had this chaining functionality, but I can't remember what it is.
I think that maybe DLD's Analog Sequencer had something like this? I tried it but didn't buy, so I'm not sure.

Some people have asked for some kind of one-shot mode, and that in combination with a CV input/output pair could maybe solve the chaining problem as well? It would probably be a CV only affair, we don't want to mess up the front panel too much...


User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

-008' wrote:FWIW, I did not buy and probably never will. This has absolutely nothing to do with the device itself, only that I do not "step record" things. Never have, and likely never will. Also the "note to track" limitation has once and for all turned me off of anything RE-sequencer-related. Just some feedback for your market research.. nothing more, nothing less! :)
Yeah, I realize this kind of device doesn't appeal to everyone.  :)

User avatar
-008'
Posts: 309
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

Just wanted to chime in and say that, yes chaining is possible. I only remember because I contributed some patches/seq's for Tick Tick RE which does exactly that.

Can do with Thor for example too, right? End of seq > out, to Start seq on the next in the "chain".
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

dana
Posts: 335
Joined: 29 Apr 2015

Post 12 May 2015

its really good.. but what if i make a mistake and want to "press delete" or make a space in my sequence while entering it?

User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

Well, I can tell you about a new feature I already implemented today: All Thru CV outputs in the Control section now work as outputs when nothing is connected to their corresponding inputs:

Clock: Now sends a clock pulse with an amplitude of 1V. The width of the clock pulse corresponds to the Gate Width parameter, and the clock follows the Shuffle setting. Mutes and rests are ignored, of course.

Reset: Works exactly like the Reset output now.

Mute: Will trigger a gate for the duration of every rest or muted step. You can connect this to the Mute input of another Step or a Euclid to get synchronized mutes, or you can trigger sounds with it. I've been playing around with it, and it's tons of fun!

Transpose: Sends out a pitch CV signal representing the root key + transpose amount. You can use it to transpose another Step or to play an instrument.


User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

-008' wrote:Just wanted to chime in and say that, yes chaining is possible. I only remember because I contributed some patches/seq's for Tick Tick RE which does exactly that. Can do with Thor for example too, right? End of seq > out, to Start seq on the next in the "chain".
Yeah, I was thinking about something along those lines! I'll look into Tick Tick and take a closer look at Thor as well. Thanks for the heads up!

User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

dana wrote:its really good.. but what if i make a mistake and want to "press delete" or make a space in my sequence while entering it?
Actually, you can already do that with Step 1.0.0! While you're recording, the Reset and Mute buttons turn into Back and Rest buttons that do exactly what you're asking for.  :)

I've been meaning to make a couple of tutorial videos to show this kind of stuff. I'm not sure whether to make them based on 1.0.0 or wait until the update is ready, though.

User avatar
hamu
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

Two things I miss:
  1. Automation for the Record button. I believe this has been discussed before, but maybe there's some kind of workaround? Maybe a CV input to gate this, so it can be automated via another device?
  2. CV input for Note & Gate. This would be most useful in combination with the Record automation, but good to have anyway. 
  3. Auto record mode, as an alternative to the 'Transp' keyboard mode. The idea is to simply switch keyboard focus to Step device and just play to meake it record. Again, similar to the above, and very good if this mode setting could be CV controlled. 
You know, I'm working a lot in a 'live' environment and I'm sort of trying to find ways to avoid creating my own sequencer. ;)

User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

hamu wrote:Two things I miss:
  1. Automation for the Record button. I believe this has been discussed before, but maybe there's some kind of workaround? Maybe a CV input to gate this, so it can be automated via another device?
  2. CV input for Note & Gate. This would be most useful in combination with the Record automation, but good to have anyway. 
  3. Auto record mode, as an alternative to the 'Transp' keyboard mode. The idea is to simply switch keyboard focus to Step device and just play to meake it record. Again, similar to the above, and very good if this mode setting could be CV controlled. 
You know, I'm working a lot in a 'live' environment and I'm sort of trying to find ways to avoid creating my own sequencer. ;)
Unfortunately at present there's no way to control Record via CV/Remote/Automation. Or to be precise, there's no way to stop recording and saving the sequence into memory. This can only be accomplished by direct interaction with the display, at least in the current incarnation of the SDK...

So we could start recording in any way we like, but I think it would provide a pretty confusing user experience... It's a bit of a bummer, because I would have loved to save the sequence automatically after recording 32 steps, for example. And CV control over Record would have been glorious!

User avatar
SebAudio
Posts: 70
Joined: 08 Mar 2015

Post 12 May 2015

Some ideas :
Is it possible to have a less "pixelized" font in the display ?
A CV input for the sequence lenght ?

User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

SebAudio wrote:Some ideas :
Is it possible to have a less "pixelized" font in the display ?
A CV input for the sequence lenght ?
We're stuck with predefined fonts, I'm afraid.

But the length CV should be possible! I'll try it out.

User avatar
Emian
Posts: 678
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

ncurry wrote:...

1) What about a way for each step to have it's own length (rather than automating the resolution parameter). For example, step 1 could be a quarter note, steps 2 and 3 are 8th notes, etc. The resolution knob could then scale all steps. Right now if I want to make one step longer, I could tie multiple steps together, but then I run out of steps more quickly.

...
 
+1 to that, cool suggestion.
 
something else i tought about the other day :
Having a moveable start position would be cool in Step.
i messed around with connecting Matrix to one of the starter Combis included with Step, do a random pattern & let Step record to then transpose on the fly with Step.
that often gives cool results (i love accidental/random stuff in Reason ;) ), however, it happens a lot that i believe the melody is a few notes too late or early compared to the drums. i can manually reset all steps but that takes a wile...
thinking even further along this path; moveable loopmarkers inside Step would be cool too i believe :)
 
& oh, it looks liks i'll get my new MIDI-keyboard finally tomorrow, so i'll dive into Step totally the dasy to come ;)
 


"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

User avatar
buddard
Posts: 672
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

Emian wrote:something else i tought about the other day :
Having a moveable start position would be cool in Step.
i messed around with connecting Matrix to one of the starter Combis included with Step, do a random pattern & let Step record to then transpose on the fly with Step.
that often gives cool results (i love accidental/random stuff in Reason ;) ), however, it happens a lot that i believe the melody is a few notes too late or early compared to the drums. i can manually reset all steps but that takes a wile...
What you're describing here sounds like the Offset control -- Or did you try that already?

thinking even further along this path; moveable loopmarkers inside Step would be cool too i believe :)
This is a suggestion that has come up before (during alpha and beta), and I'm investigating again!

User avatar
Emian
Posts: 678
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

Emian wrote:something else i tought about the other day :
Having a moveable start position would be cool in Step.
i messed around with connecting Matrix to one of the starter Combis included with Step, do a random pattern & let Step record to then transpose on the fly with Step.
that often gives cool results (i love accidental/random stuff in Reason ;) ), however, it happens a lot that i believe the melody is a few notes too late or early compared to the drums. i can manually reset all steps but that takes a wile...
buddard wrote:
What you're describing here sounds like the Offset control -- Or did you try that already?

thinking even further along this path; moveable loopmarkers inside Step would be cool too i believe :)
buddard wrote:
This is a suggestion that has come up before (during alpha and beta), and I'm investigating again!
 
 
o dear, i feel so stupid for missing that Offset control, so thx for that  :)


"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

User avatar
devilfish
Posts: 177
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

Note to Track !!!!!!!!!
Cubase 10 @ Xeon E5-2683v3
Philips Momentum 43“ UHD Monitor,
Behringer UMC1820, ADA8200 & Neutron,
Elektron Digitakt, A4 MK2 & Rytm MK2,
Novation BS2, Moog Subsequent 37,
Vermona Perfourmer MK2, Korg SQ-1

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1173
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

buddard wrote:We have started working on the first big update of Step Node Recorder!

We're really happy with the first version we released, since it contains all the essential features and core functionality, plus some things that we didn't imagine from the beginning. But there were quite a few things that we decided to leave out in the first version, partly due to time constraints, and partly due to not being 100% sure which direction Step should go in. Primarily, we weren't really sure whether to 1) Add some kind of internal pattern support, or 2) Add more capabilities to the single sequence.

SDK 2.2 has now been officially announced, and it's not a secret that it didn't add any improved support for pattern devices. And we don't see any reason to expect this to appear anytime soon, either. Because of this (and some other factors) we have decided to take the second route: Expanding the capabilities of recording, editing and playing back a single sequence.

We already have a long list of ideas we're interested in, but (almost) nothing is set in stone and we're of course interested in hearing from you, the users! So we'd like to start a discussion around your gripes and needs, both from those of you who have been using Step for the last month, and from those of you that decided not to buy Step.

We won't be able to accommodate every wish, but we will carefully consider every suggestion and see how it fits into the overall picture. And we're going to try and be as transparent as possible in the process.

Any takers?
Can you to re trigger the step sequence only when the controller's key is pressed down? When you let go the step sequence would stop immediately. I want it to react as if it was a sampled phrase played on a pad of Kong, and as tight. 

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5732
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 12 May 2015

devilfish wrote:Note to Track !!!!!!!!!
https://www.propellerheads.se/contact/feedback
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

User avatar
devilfish
Posts: 177
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 12 May 2015

The Devs should stop coding RE now!
That would the only way the Props understand :)
Cubase 10 @ Xeon E5-2683v3
Philips Momentum 43“ UHD Monitor,
Behringer UMC1820, ADA8200 & Neutron,
Elektron Digitakt, A4 MK2 & Rytm MK2,
Novation BS2, Moog Subsequent 37,
Vermona Perfourmer MK2, Korg SQ-1

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 5732
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 12 May 2015

devilfish wrote:The Devs should stop coding RE now!
I disagree.  That would mean we would miss out on fantastic new devices, and I for one would hate that.
devilfish wrote:That would the only way the Props understand :)
I seriously doubt that Props don't understand that there are missing features that they need to add.  We'd still be on SDK version 1.0 if they didn't understand or weren't listening to their users (and devs).
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bes, CommonCrawl [Bot], Electric-Metal and 4 guests