Viking Synth Full Video Review

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Fretless Fingers

08 May 2015

Long time coming. Review video finally up for the Viking mono synthesizer for anyone who's been interested in it. Even if you haven't been I challenge you to check out the video, as I think many would be intrigued in what the device delivers

:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

PSoames

08 May 2015

Congrats on completing the review Shawn.

A very detailed and complete review of a super RE.

Enjoyable and informative - a rare feat!

Ashpool

08 May 2015

Very good review of my most favourite synth!

I've expected to hear some sound examples of what VK-1 is capable of.
But I guess that's what thy try-button in the shop is for ;-)

Yes, a very good and detailed review.
Hope to see more like this on YouTube soon ;-)

pLansford

08 May 2015

Oh yeah I saw this in the RE group on FB.  Very nice review and now I feel inspired to mess around with Viking more.   :)

Tincture

08 May 2015

Yikes the subservient "it's just sooo good you should buy it now" intro in that video just made me hit stop. Sorry. Too cheesy.

I love Viking. It's one of my favourite synths.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

08 May 2015

It's a nice overview, but I think there's too much talking with too little sound bites. It's too academic!

Fretless Fingers

09 May 2015

Joshua I felt like everyone had thrown optinions at this device but no one really looked at it.
Short version is it emulates something no one has thought to make as a plug in but many well known and loved artist use on a regular basis. Its in a large number of songs we all listen to and frankly its a great plug in.
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:

QVprod

09 May 2015

Fretless Fingers wrote:Short version is it emulates something no one has thought to make as a plug in but many well known and loved artist use on a regular basis.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but there are other Moog Voyager plugins like this one  Image
Or are the models they emulate different or something?

Fretless Fingers

09 May 2015

Fretless Fingers wrote:Short version is it emulates something no one has thought to make as a plug in but many well known and loved artist use on a regular basis.
QVprod wrote:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but there are other Moog Voyager plugins like this one 
QVprod wrote: Or are the models they emulate different or something?
QVprod that my friend is not a Moog voyager. That is a Minimoog model D.

The Minimoog Model D premiered in 1971 and is the big brother to the Minimoog Voyager. Unlike the Voyager the Model D does not feature "continuously variable osciallator" allowing the unique sound available through the synth

This is not to be confused with this products key feature available with the Minimoog Model D, Minimoog Voyager, and Viking; "Free running oscilators" mean the oscilators are constantly in motion allowing for consistant click free play when playing quickly up and down the keyboard. Engaging each oscillator and controling volume in the mixer section and merely controls the audible output in the signal chain

Here is a video with audio examples with a better side by side comparison

Puckboy2000

09 May 2015

Fretless Fingers wrote:Long time coming. Review video finally up for the Viking mono synthesizer for anyone who's been interested in it. Even if you haven't been I challenge you to check out the video, as I think many would be intrigued in what the device delivers

Nice video! Thanks for sharing. I don't use the Viking much anymore. I think I will dust it off and play it again.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

bxbrkrz

13 May 2015

Fretless Fingers wrote:Long time coming. Review video finally up for the Viking mono synthesizer for anyone who's been interested in it. Even if you haven't been I challenge you to check out the video, as I think many would be intrigued in what the device delivers

iMaschine library for Kong? How? Where? (12 min 50s)

:thumbup:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

QVprod

13 May 2015

QVprod wrote:
Maybe I'm mistaken, but there are other Moog Voyager plugins like this one 
QVprod wrote: Or are the models they emulate different or something?
Fretless Fingers wrote:
QVprod that my friend is not a Moog voyager. That is a Minimoog model D.

The Minimoog Model D premiered in 1971 and is the big brother to the Minimoog Voyager. Unlike the Voyager the Model D does not feature "continuously variable osciallator" allowing the unique sound available through the synth

This is not to be confused with this products key feature available with the Minimoog Model D, Minimoog Voyager, and Viking; "Free running oscilators" mean the oscilators are constantly in motion allowing for consistant click free play when playing quickly up and down the keyboard. Engaging each oscillator and controling volume in the mixer section and merely controls the audible output in the signal chain

Here is a video with audio examples with a better side by side comparison

Ok got it. I was genuinely curious.

Fretless Fingers

13 May 2015

bxbrkrz wrote: iMaschine library for Kong? How? Where? (12 min 50s)

:thumbup:
Ahh side Project of Mine.
I took the iMaschine samples exported them and placed them in the same sequence in Kong. Really a pain the in the ass to get done so I only have all the Urban Kits at this time, and a handful of the expansion's. Honestly there my go to drum sounds now adays though. I really dig them for layering and so on

On that note I have been wondering if its a viable option to go into making it available as a free Refill to those who provide proof of purchase of the app as the samples are royalty free after purchase. I just don't want to give away something that I and many other had to pay for to those who just want free sounds, even if it was only a few bucks.

Biolumin3sc3nt

13 May 2015

I like the song played throughout the video - Is that your production?

Fretless Fingers

13 May 2015

Yes actually. I need to just make it available as a single. Probably get on to that in the coming days

• Information