McDSP on Sale!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
hydlide

06 May 2015

skrock wrote:Totally agree. It's tempting but why?
I will try to explain the "why". As it comes to compressors / eqs, they come in many different flavors or shapes. Kind of like "ice cream". Ice cream is a product that gets frozen, you eat it and you know it is ice cream.

While if you look at this list: https://www.baskinrobbins.com/content/b ... avors.html

sure, they are all ice cream right?

There are many flavors of ice cream, some may taste the same, others may not. Put that in context of compressors and EQ. It is kind of the same deal. Some compressors represent a subtle tape compressors, while others will do a hard compression if you will. Different flavors, different tastes to the ears and so on.
skrock wrote:Will it make my songs better?
Depends. I have been quite fond of using the Mclass compressor that came with reason. I always felt this was my go to compressor. Untill I started to use the Soft Tube compressors on Drum tracks and parallel compress it to bits.

Comparing this with the MClass compressor, this would have a different outcome for sure. Again, different taste and different flavors. Is it better? Don't know... Sometimes I like to use a Scream 4 as a compressor, sometimes I like the MClass and sometimes I like a different plug. Just for variation or different taste on my ears.
skrock wrote: No, just fun with new gear as always. IMO I prefer to go with some restriction instead and just use my ears. The creative tools tho i can't resist, love the lectric panda stuff!
The blunt NO I will disagree on just by the points I have given.

craven

06 May 2015

but futzbox with this offer sounds just great. Please share some futzbox love :)

:ugeek:

JoshuaPhilgarlic

06 May 2015

craven wrote:but futzbox with this offer sounds just great. Please share some futzbox love :)
Yeah, I did of course :D ! The other stuff isn't for me.

gak

07 May 2015

The moo comp is a god unto itself. Can tame too much "low end" from a guitar w/o squashing and is terrific for bass as well. 

Like it in some drum situations, but doesn't seem to be as good as the 670 at taming.

So far, I'm having a tough time getting the "frog" to do anything useful in the mixing department. Things leak out really easily with it thus ruining the character it has. Wish I knew if I was doing something wrong or if it's just the comp :frown:  

DiZo

07 May 2015

i have buy the 2 bundle, omg, this tools are great ! (result direct with one or two test)

tumar

07 May 2015

gak wrote: So far, I'm having a tough time getting the "frog" to do anything useful in the mixing department. Things leak out really easily with it thus ruining the character it has. Wish I knew if I was doing something wrong or if it's just the comp :frown:  
Try FRG with punchy drums, especially kicks. Insane! ;)

challism

07 May 2015

Funny, were were just talking about this on another thread about a week ago.  Holy futz!  Futzbox for $39?!?!??!?!  I'm going to have to break my 3 month self-imposed grounding on new RE purchases.  As for the compressors.... I'm already set on those... I seriously have a ton of compressors, and only use like 2 or 3 of them regularly.  BUT FUTZBOX looks amazing.  Trialing now!

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/futzbox/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

challism

07 May 2015

Been thinking about this a bit....  I can't help but wonder if there is another crazy $199 RE bundle coming up around the corner, in which McDSP has put some of their REs.  That might explain why they are having this 50% off sale now.  I don't think I have ever seen their stuff of sale since I have been in the RE market since upgrading to Reason 7 2 years ago.  Before that I was still using Reason 5 and wasn't paying any attention to the RE market.
Anywho...  I just wonder if there is a bundle or some kind of crazy thing coming up (sort of reminiscent of the Selig sale right before the announcement of the Outrig bundle).

challism

07 May 2015

If you speak Korean, here's a Futzbox review for ya!  ha ha ha

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

07 May 2015

Rice wrote:I'm in, been wanting a couple of the EQ's, now I can get all three for the price of one! Thanks for the heads up.
Were the bundles really Euro 78 / USD 98 pre-sale - if so this offer represents unbelievable savings on some nice although maybe not essential rack extensions.

However (sorry to be a moaning-minnie) I really wish this 'for a limited time' sale practise was dropped by developers / PH Shop. Good kit at great prices does not need gimmicky sale sloganeering, it will fly off the shelf on it's own merits.  In McDSP's case straight into my Rack, in all probability - so much for my resolution last month's Rig bundle being my last buy until summer   :s0959:  ...  

gak

08 May 2015

One of the things I adore about reason is the ability to split/ext mixer/etc w/o sacrificing precious resources in the mixing stage.

Here is a brilliant trick if you didn't know already and are trying these plugs:

For a drum bus, add all three comps (shift d/d) and a micro mixer and a spider. Make it so that there is a through (original signal) and then the comps are to be dialed in. Set the comps as desired. Dial in those comps for parallel processing.

Seems to work much better than putting them in the master and using those sends (not sure why but I'm sure there is a logical explanation) and then you can gauge the characteristics. For one thing, the FRG was giving me a headache because I knew that it was a more "pumpy/squishy" comp but w/o a dry/wet knob I wasn't really able to test it right.

One thing I noticed about the 670 is that it's a little "brighter" (have no idea why) even with more extreme settings. Haven't tried the "moo" yet with this technique (was mostly looking for a way to test the FRG better)

Anyways, just sharing. 

virtualpt

08 May 2015

Already have all 3 comps & 2 of the EQs. The EQs don't get much use now since the Kuassa sale, I just love the Eves, probably use MooTube the most, nice on vocals :)

Have just bought FutzBox, a steal at this price & am really loving it. It is so easy to dial in great effects & there are some good presets :)

decibel

08 May 2015

wish i could afford it all, but maybe i'll have to settle for the futzbox this time around ;)

Dabbler

08 May 2015

skrock wrote: I agree with your points. But I do think it's easy to fall into a habit of just getting more stuff instead of learning more about what you already have. I love Softube Trident, just sounds so nice to my ears. And the FET comp in logic is awesome. I guess in a way I was telling myself not to buy more RE's in a while :)
Yep I bought the bundle because I was over due on my GAS schedule.

But hey how would you use one of these comps in the main processing section, like an FX send 1?

AJ_3000
Competition Winner

08 May 2015

Tumble wrote:PH really needs to make it clear how long sales last. "Limited time" could be a anywhere from 24h to several weeks.
The kind people at McDSP confirmed sale ends 31st May 2015.

Plenty time for anybody tempted to add some McDSP goodness to their racks to run demos.

gak

08 May 2015

Thanks for that info :)  

dconana

08 May 2015

Huge discount, I had the compressors already but I felt I had to get the rest of the range at these prices.

Anyone know if McDsp are working on some new Rack Extensions?

motuscott

08 May 2015

Got a job (temporary) and allowed my GAS to reign free. $50 for three new compressors! Done & done.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

gak

08 May 2015

One word (two products)

MOOOOO! 

-008'

08 May 2015

motuscott wrote:Got a job (temporary) and allowed my GAS to reign free. $50 for three new compressors! Done & done.
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Tincture

08 May 2015

I have to say it makes Kuassa's recent sale a bit miserly. Just 10E off for the EQ bundle recently. This one is 67% off! Still not sure I need 3 very similar EQs tho'. And 25E for the one I really want is a bit of a weird offer. Two I'm not so bothered about for 7E each... I'll probably go for it. But wish kuassa had been more generous. :roll:

joeyluck

08 May 2015

Tincture wrote:I have to say it makes Kuassa's recent sale a bit miserly. Just 10E off for the EQ bundle recently. This one is 67% off! Still not sure I need 3 very similar EQs tho'. And 25E for the one I really want is a bit of a weird offer. Two I'm not so bothered about for 7E each... I'll probably go for it. But wish kuassa had been more generous. :roll:
But they're more generous from the get-go ;)
The MP5 is my favorite EQ right now.
I also appreciate that you can save patches with the Kuassa EQs. That is very handy for me.

ProfessaKaos

09 May 2015

dconana wrote:Huge discount, I had the compressors already but I felt I had to get the rest of the range at these prices.

Anyone know if McDsp are working on some new Rack Extensions?
Not sure but I hope so, I'm still fiending for Analog Channel
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

• Information