Digital Filter in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ocean of Waves

06 May 2015

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/digital-filter/

Interesting RE, I'll check it out soon

MDTerps2015

06 May 2015

No video and no examples using it so i wont even try it. The nerve of these companies to try to sell you a car without you even driving it . "Well you could always click the "try it " button". What if it can do something i dont know about?????

150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Ashpool

06 May 2015

This does not look very complicated to me.
A HP or LP with an envelope follower...
Seems to be a pumped up version of the ECF-42.

Marco Raaphorst

06 May 2015

Can't switch between LP and HP. Weird bug.

submonsterz

06 May 2015

For the extra ten euros you can have etch lol.
No contest to me sorry.
I cannot see the price or the benefit of this over etch which is a power house with many many features added.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Ashpool

06 May 2015

I cannot see the price or the benefit of this over etch which is a power house with many many features added.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
I totally agree.

But what makes me wonder is that the DEV seems to make no effort to sale this RE. I mean, no manual, no sound examples and the product website is also not helpful at all.
It seems to be very expensive compared to what it (maybe) can do.

platzangst

06 May 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:No video and no examples using it so i wont even try it. The nerve of these companies to try to sell you a car without you even driving it . "Well you could always click the "try it " button". What if it can do something i dont know about?????

Well, so, what if? The whole point of trying is to explore what it can do. Do you really require a developer to list every possible use for a product? Do you really need a car dealer to show you exactly how the 12 V sockets work or how the hubcaps attach to the rims? Are you that helpless?

I mean, how dare they release a product and not hold your hand constantly to reveal all the details before you even glance at the control panel.

lowpryo

06 May 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:No video and no examples using it so i wont even try it. The nerve of these companies to try to sell you a car without you even driving it . "Well you could always click the "try it " button". What if it can do something i dont know about?????
platzangst wrote:
Well, so,
platzangst wrote:what if?
platzangst wrote: The whole point of trying is to explore what it can do. Do you really require a developer to list every possible use for a product? Do you really need a car dealer to show you exactly how the 12 V sockets work or how the hubcaps attach to the rims? Are you that helpless?

I mean,
platzangst wrote:how dare
platzangst wrote: they release a product and not hold your hand constantly to reveal all the details before you even glance at the control panel.

i agree with you to a certain extent - in every good device, there will always be tricks and surprises that you can only discover on your own.

but on the other hand.. if they are going to sell a product like a filter, of which plenty already exist in the store and on our racks, it's their job to convince consumers what makes them different, or what makes them worth it. and they need to be very up front about it.
"the whole point of trying is to explore what it can do", yes. but i'm not going to waste my time on that exploration when they've given me no reason to believe that there's anything special to find. it's a competitive market, and they should be competitive.

selig
RE Developer

06 May 2015

This is a bit of an odd device IMO, especially the non-intuitive envelope section which has controls that interact in unexpected ways.

BTW, the LP/HP switch works just fine, but you have to drag it further than expected (like the Saturation Knob). Clickable text would be one solution IMO.
Selig Audio, LLC

childofsaturn

06 May 2015

Seems to be another fine example of "They'll let anything in the shop these days."

selig
RE Developer

06 May 2015

childofsaturn wrote:Seems to be another fine example of "They'll let anything in the shop these days."
Or an example of letting the market decide the value of each product. ;)
I'd comment further but don't want even risk being seen as bashing other developers products - puts me in a tough position when I see things that don't make sense to me. Or maybe it's just me? 

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

06 May 2015

childofsaturn wrote:Seems to be another fine example of "They'll let anything in the shop these days."
selig wrote: Or an example of letting the market decide the value of each product. ;)
I'd comment further but don't want even risk being seen as bashing other developers products - puts me in a tough position when I see things that don't make sense to me. Or maybe it's just me? 

There's no risk. You're just judging things based on your experience/ears/expertise. 

hydlide

06 May 2015

I personally love the idea that this device is turned off in the shop itself. Kind of sums it up for me. 

pjeudy

06 May 2015

selig wrote: puts me in a tough position when I see things that don't make sense to me. Or maybe it's just me? 

My thoughts are :
The only Issue I have is the Price ! for me $9-$15 maybe..or better yet free,would have been a cool diplomatic move on the part of the developer,35 bucks...a few more dollars away from Etch Red ?!? Not sure about that one! 

I'll still demo it , maybe there's something about it that might make me press buy when it's on sale !
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 May 2015

By looking at the controls I can see what this device offers. The order is the amount of poles, with each order adding 6dB. The description explains pretty much what the controls do. I personally think it's a fantastic idea that could give rise to many exciting and creative sonic possibilities.

Maybe they could have given an option of filter types as I imagine it's using standard filter methods, but anyway I say it's worth trying to see what you can make of it.

psychasm

06 May 2015

There are two modes - LP and HP. 
There is a switch which you can flick on the left side in order to change the mode.
All of the patches seem to have some modulation stuff going on with the envelop.
When envelop amount is increase , then the effect of the modulation increases.
Seems like the "automatic function acts like an Lfo. "Envelop time " seems to control the speed of the looped envelop. So its basically a filter unit HP/LP with and with built-in envelop which to me acts like and lfo when parameters are combined.

MDTerps2015

06 May 2015

selig wrote: Or an example of letting the market decide the value of each product. ;)

Crazy that you say that when just about everything you critique seems to be true and just about everything youve given a thumbs up I have bought. You are kind of like the seeing eye dog for us and i bet im not the only one who feels that way. 

Faastwalker

06 May 2015

Badly needs at least some audio demo's & a video would be good. Bit slack of the dev not to have these ready for launch. Will definitely check this one. I already have Etch & it's fantastic & deep. Nothing wrong with having a quick fire filter device if it works well & sounds decent.

platzangst

07 May 2015

lowpryo wrote:i agree with you to a certain extent - in every good device, there will always be tricks and surprises that you can only discover on your own.

but on the other hand.. if they are going to sell a product like a filter, of which plenty already exist in the store and on our racks, it's their job to convince consumers what makes them different, or what makes them worth it. and they need to be very up front about it.
"the whole point of trying is to explore what it can do", yes. but i'm not going to waste my time on that exploration when they've given me no reason to believe that there's anything special to find. it's a competitive market, and they should be competitive.
I will grant you that they could have done more to effectively promote their device. It's a valid point.

What drives me up the wall is the sense of raging entitlement that drips out of some folks when a device is released that somehow doesn't measure up in some way, as if any developer actually owes all potential customers a loving handjob just to look at their product, and that the customer is obliged to be morally offended if they don't get catered to in the most subservient way.

selig
RE Developer

07 May 2015

lowpryo wrote:i agree with you to a certain extent - in every good device, there will always be tricks and surprises that you can only discover on your own.

platzangst wrote:
I will grant you that they could have done more to effectively promote their device. It's a valid point.

What drives me up the wall is the sense of raging entitlement that drips out of some folks when a device is released that somehow doesn't measure up in some way, as if any developer actually owes all potential customers a loving handjob just to look at their product, and that the customer is obliged to be
platzangst wrote:morally offended
platzangst wrote: if they don't get catered to in the most subservient way.
Well then I guess it's a good thing that no one here has expressed that point of view, or you'd be going totally nuts right now! ;)

What I DO see here is what I'd call excellent customer feedback as to what is important to folks in order to sell your product in the current marketplace, which I interpret as free market research myself. I guess we all see what we want to see…
Selig Audio, LLC

GRIFTY

07 May 2015

I will insta-buy any RE that comes with a handy

MDTerps2015

08 May 2015

selig wrote: puts me in a tough position when I see things that don't make sense to me. Or maybe it's just me? 

pjeudy wrote:
My thoughts are :
The only Issue I have is the Price ! for me $9-$15 maybe..or better yet free,would have been a cool diplomatic move on the part of the developer,35 bucks...a few more dollars away from Etch Red ?!? Not sure about that one! 

I'll still demo it , maybe there's something about it that might make me press buy when it's on sale !
Get back with us on it because i wont even trial an extension if it has no video or example. And like someone else said 35 dollars is a bit steep if you already own etch which i do. So probably not interested anyway but a bit of feedback from you would be appreciated. 

MDTerps2015

08 May 2015

platzangst wrote:

Well, so,
platzangst wrote:what if?
platzangst wrote: The whole point of trying is to explore what it can do. Do you really require a developer to list every possible use for a product? Do you really need a car dealer to show you exactly how the 12 V sockets work or how the hubcaps attach to the rims? Are you that helpless?

I mean,
platzangst wrote:how dare
platzangst wrote: they release a product and not hold your hand constantly to reveal all the details before you even glance at the control panel.
Im that helpless. Every good marketing ploy has some sort of demonstration or example of how it works or what it does. If it floats your boat to just dive in not knowing what that chainsaw is capable of doing then so be it. I dont go to a bank and get a loan without them showing me the interest rate, the monthly payments, or late fees. You want me to buy something that i have five of already then you have to convince me that yours is different like all loans and chainsaws.

psychasm

08 May 2015

This is not a complicated device to gets to grips to if one spends just a few minutes with it , and goes thru the presets.

platzangst

08 May 2015

MDTerps2015 wrote:Im that helpless. Every good marketing ploy has some sort of demonstration or example of how it works or what it does. If it floats your boat to just dive in not knowing what that chainsaw is capable of doing then so be it.
If it's labeled as a chainsaw, it's usually a safe bet that it cuts wood. But does it cut more efficiently than others? Does it fit your grip better? Does a longer blade mean a heavier tool to have to handle? Details like that are usually best left to experience - personal testing. Especially in such a subjective field as audio processing.

But no, even with a 30 day try-out period, you're griping that it may do something you don't know about! (Like what, sprout invisible knobs or jacks?) One might think that was the whole point of the try period, to explore it and see what it can do. So you're not going to buy it unless you have a better understanding of its capabilities, but you also refuse to try it to get a better understanding of its capabilities. Would you refuse to buy a car just because it never ran a TV commercial? You want a "test drive" but you won't even sit in the bloody car.

Sure, some audio examples or a video would be nice, but at the same time, doesn't the consumer have the slightest bit of responsibility to do their own research?

And in the end, if that's not enough for you, fine, do what you like - but to then get indignant about it - "the nerve!" - as if it was some kind of affront to you, well, it just seems too precious to me.

• Information