RE Development

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
helmutson

05 May 2015

Can someone explain what for costs or other legal effects/formalities I have to expect if I subscribe myself as a RE developer ? I have nearly no experiences in C++ , just basics, but I have the time and the interest learning it, or at least trying it and see how far I can go with their API/IDT,but without investing money or handling bureaucratic barriers and can I "stop the train and go home" if I'm not happy with the whole thing ?

mrj1nx

05 May 2015

You should be able to get up and running without paying anything, the main cost will be the time you put in. Expect to sign an NDA type agreement when you sign up though.

helmutson

05 May 2015

yapp, thanx ... time is money, as usual ;)  

helmutson

06 May 2015

OK, no other comments ? All what I wanna know is, can I check the whole thing without risks or problems, or with other words - can I terminate easily the agreement if I'm not happy with it ? I wrote to the PHS Support, but nobody was answering yet ... maybe I'm too fearful/careful, but I made my experiences , so I don't wanna trap into the next dilemma ... :roll:

zakalwe

06 May 2015

are their any costs related to actually 'publishing' your RE in the shop?  for example if you have no interest in making a business out of RE but wish to share a niche tool you've developed?

Gaja

06 May 2015

helmutson wrote:OK, no other comments ? All what I wanna know is, can I check the whole thing without risks or problems, or with other words - can I terminate easily the agreement if I'm not happy with it ? I wrote to the PHS Support, but nobody was answering yet ... maybe I'm too fearful/careful, but I made my experiences , so I don't wanna trap into the next dilemma ... :roll:
You can apply without any Liabilities. No need to worry, you can register for free and without any fees or worries about being forced to program something. I'm a registered Re/IDT developer, but have not developed anything so far, because I haven't had the time to do so. No comments or pressure from any side, you can take all the time you need to learn the SDK and if you're unable to realize your ideas nobody will hold you accountable. Relax, register for free and see if the SDK grooves with you and your ideas or not.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

helmutson

06 May 2015

Thanx guys ! That sounds awesome ... so I'll sign asap ... :s0221:  

Olivier

06 May 2015

helmutson wrote:OK, no other comments ? All what I wanna know is, can I check the whole thing without risks or problems, or with other words - can I terminate easily the agreement if I'm not happy with it ? I wrote to the PHS Support, but nobody was answering yet ... maybe I'm too fearful/careful, but I made my experiences , so I don't wanna trap into the next dilemma ... :roll:
Gaja wrote: You can apply without any Liabilities. No need to worry, you can register for free and without any fees or worries about being forced to program something. I'm a registered Re/IDT developer, but have not developed anything so far, because I haven't had the time to do so. No comments or pressure from any side, you can take all the time you need to learn the SDK and if you're unable to realize your ideas nobody will hold you accountable. Relax, register for free and see if the SDK grooves with you and your ideas or not.
Exactly this.
I'm taking my time developing. No pressure whatsoever.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 May 2015

zakalwe wrote:are their any costs related to actually 'publishing' your RE in the shop?  for example if you have no interest in making a business out of RE but wish to share a niche tool you've developed?
No developer has ever mentioned a publishing cost, not even the most vocal developers ;)

Only "barriers" are the 3d designing (which no longer exists), the SDK limitations (which for the most part aren't an issue, especially with new code) and the difficulty of C++ (which isn't a problem as there are plenty of free resources to learn).

Since I already had a registered company I just used that, but was mentioned on the old PUF that you can register as a sole trader if you wish to release paid REs.

submonsterz

06 May 2015

zakalwe wrote:are their any costs related to actually 'publishing' your RE in the shop?  for example if you have no interest in making a business out of RE but wish to share a niche tool you've developed?
avasopht wrote:
No developer has ever mentioned a publishing cost, not even the most vocal developers ;)

Only "barriers" are the 3d designing (which no longer exists), the SDK limitations (which for the most part aren't an issue, especially with new code) and the difficulty of C++ (which isn't a problem as there are plenty of free resources to learn).

Since I already had a registered company I just used that, but was mentioned on the old PUF that you can register as a sole trader if you wish to release paid REs.
I think he`s asking is there a charge to do free Re`s id safely answer to that question no props cannot charge a percentage of nothing ;) .And no tax return etc needs to be done etc there`s no money changing hands or being generated if its free. :thumbup:

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 May 2015

avasopht wrote:

submonsterz wrote:I think he`s asking is there a charge to do free Re`s id safely answer to that question no props cannot charge a percentage of nothing ;) .And no tax return etc needs to be done etc there`s no money changing hands or being generated if its free. :thumbup:
I know, but threads get locked easy whenever devs mention anything to do with the SDK, so I just keep my responses as vague as possible.

zakalwe

06 May 2015

thanks guys.  i was just a bit surprised that they're aren't more free RE and thought there might be some additional barrier to users releasing them other than just having a registered tax ID.

Lizard

06 May 2015

I wanted to add a couple things here for the benefit of the OP.  As I think is stated there are no fees for applying to become a developer with Propellerhead software.  They will give you all the documentation and the tools they provide for the development of Re.  This does not cover a program to create you C++ code of course.  There are some free packages and then there are some that aren't. I am not a C++ programmer and can't comment on costs there.  But I'm sure you would know what to expect.  With regards to IDT development they provide you there wares.

At this point there are no costs.  You will have access to their development tools and have everything to locally develop your stuff on your computer.  Propellerhead has no involvement since it is on your PC. If you want to build it with them and be able to share and distribute your product in beta or Company Store you will have to be a registered company with them.  These laws for being a registered business depend on where you live and how businesses are set up and filed in your local area.  Some places may be easy others not so.  I am in the US and in that process now.  Trying to avoid attorneys who have grander charges  I used on online agent to handle setting up my company.  Currently I am in between $400-500 to set up.  There may be cheaper option but to do things properly as several have suggested to me this is what was necessary.  You will also have to have a website.  I think that has to have its own domain.  There may be free places out there but having your own may be better.  You can expect average of $15 a month for such a thing.

In the end so are free to charge what you want for your stuff and this included a price of $0.  You and Propellerhead share percentages of that.  :)   I'm sure they would like you to charge but that really is your say.  Regardless it comes as a cost to the developer.  Most people I think would like to at least get some return to offset the initial cost. 

• Information