2D support yeehaa!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
tiker01

10 May 2015

mrj1nx wrote:They need to add support for tabbed views etc (or did they already?)
jam-s wrote: Hopefully this will not be allowed in the near future, as I really dislike this in VST land. Imagine a hardware rack device that could switch the position of its buttons when pressing a button in real life... not going to happen, unless you design the front of the device to be a single touch interface, which rather beats the purpose of having a hardware analogon in the first place. Instead folding sections (like the rv7000 programmer) would be the better (=Reason) way to implement this kind of feature.
selig wrote:
The thing is, with a VST you can create a larger interface therefore avoiding the need for tabbed views, but with REs you are stuck with a small display.

Additionally, there are features such as the simplified view that you wouldn't want all the time, but may want to use once you get the basic settings established. And due to the limited real estate available you may not be able to have these controls visible in all views, folded or not. 

Of course, some folks are used to software that uses tabbed views such as web browsers, and most folks understand how these work just fine. There are already SO many ways the Reason interface breaks the common laws of physics that there is no need to be 100% tied to the hardware analogy - and isn't that one of the great benefits of software in the first place?
:)
It just came into my mind that Kong alredy has kind of a tabbed interface called quick edit mode in addition to the interchangeable panels. ;)

The problem is anything that is hidden this way is not remoteable as far as I remember (might be wrong on this one) if there is no corresponding button oh the actual interface, although one can automate them.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

bxbrkrz

10 May 2015

bxbrkrz wrote:I will prioritize any RE still visually coherent inside my rack. The developers are free not to work hard for my money and sell RE as if drawn by a 5 year old.
pjeudy wrote: I plan on Prioritizing any RE's that I purchase based on it's Sonic ability's,functionality. When someone shares a sound with someone else..one question you will never hear is "how did that Software device used to produced that sound looks like?" Sharing a piece of sound is the final intent of these devices...no?

I'm not all hung up on RE's has to look like Hardware.I'm more interested on great sounding flexible devices based on that developer vision.Sure I've had my opinion on RE's that I din't think looked good,but if it gets the job done then I will buy it!

This EQ look absolutely nothing like hardware
pjeudy wrote: 
I had a chance to use it about a week ago..withing Minutes I fell in love with it's simplicity common sense approach.If it could come to the RE format
pjeudy wrote:as is
pjeudy wrote: then I'm all for it.
I no longer use the Mclass EQ . I haven't touched it since I bought Synapse GQ-7..AS A MATTER OF FACT I can easily have 10 instances of that EQ running I really like it...But Fabfilter pro Q is a much more flexible thus powerful EQ and The GQ-7 is the one that  looks a little more hardware then Pro Q. So if a developer feels like they need to create such a none REASON looking device to make it powerful/flexible..then by all means forget that REASON rack look! IMO!

At the end of the day I think it's an issue of design by the developer, not the fact that Props may not be putting rules in place to have RE's look like Hardware,I think lots of people  are worried about developers who are not designers creating bad 2D developed RE and 3D developed Re's.

Also people usually don't like change, I certainly didn't like the new R8 look..after using it all these months besides some silly features about R8 that I still don't like..I'm cool with how it looks now!

Choice. Someone listening to my production will never ask me how butt cockroach ugly the RE I used was. It does not matter to me if the UI provided to the Props will be 2D or 3D in the future. But when I learned how difficult it was for a lot of talented folks, how it was for them to build their first RE, all I have is even more respect for them, and little bit less for a developer who would not care about the art of crafting beautiful things. Very talented, starving graphic designers are available. Someone listening to my production will never ask me how butt cockroach ugly the RE I used was, because I won't have any.
And the Pro Q is beautiful in the eyes of this beholder.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

pjeudy

10 May 2015

bxbrkrz wrote:But when I learned how difficult it was for a lot of talented folks, how it was for them to build their first RE, all I have is even more respect for them, and little bit less for a developer who would not care about the art of crafting beautiful things. Very talented, starving graphic designers are available.
Where are they ? I jumped over mountains started 1-2 threads on the old PUF trying to get artist and coders together..I even pushed as much as I could on this website to get a dialogue going between developer and "Very talented, starving graphic designers"

That thread died along with the others before PUF closing.What makes you think developers don't care about the design of there UI because you might think it looks ugly? Developers good at coding aren't necessarily Good at UI design!
I have seen plenty of developers big and small take feed back on there UI and made changes.

But all this is besides the point I was trying to make....like you said it is a matter of choice and I choose to buy a RE based on how good it is..not only on it's look,Yes there are UI's THAT MADE ME LESS INTERESTED IN THE DEVICE (the first UI color of MixFood Orange comes to mind) But I stuck to my principle and tried it anyway..And It's a first time killer synth from a new developer glad I tried it..and would buy it even if the developer made no changes to the first UI "It's that good of a synth"

Not saying your choice was wrong, your post inspired me to share my point of view which is the opposite of yours, that's how people and dev and even Mattias will read the different opinions regarding This new SDK update ....  :s0801:

As for Pro Q ..for almost a year I saw images of this plugin nothing about it made me want to look deeper into it...Until I actually tried it a week ago..based on how it works *I FREAKING LOVE IT* Never mind the UI, IT WORKS BRILLIANTLY !! I would have never discovered that had I only judged it by it's cover!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Marc64

11 May 2015

Just a noob Q: what is this 2D against what has been before? whats new? is it more flat UI? And what can be done with 2D that can't be done before?

Gaja

11 May 2015

Marc64 wrote:Just a noob Q: what is this 2D against what has been before? whats new? is it more flat UI? And what can be done with 2D that can't be done before?
Like has been explained, REs have had to be designed using 3D assets and were then Rendered in 2D for Reason. As of this update you can now submit fully two dimensional interfaces. Which does not mean flat GUI necessarily, but doesn't rule it out either. But you can still work in 3D if you wish.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information