2D support yeehaa!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Ocean of Waves

04 May 2015

My inner 2D designer heart skipped a beat:
http://askaudiomag.com/articles/propell ... o-interact

tiker01

04 May 2015

Nice. Hopefully it means more Re developers from the VST world. However, I hope the 2D devices look will be still Reason compatible.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Lizard

04 May 2015

I..... think....... this could be a good thing.  I think this may allow for the developer who has no 3D design skills more options to be creative than to have to use stock 3D assets.  The beauty of the 3D environment has been in its ability to maintain a consistency with that "Propellerhead Rack Look".  With the ability for 2D design this will (small or big) break that.  Hopefully a level of constraint on the developers side and a level of control on Propellerhead's side allow for devices that look natural in the rack.  If not you could have a lot of this...

nikolafeve

04 May 2015

It's not a good idea at all! Bad move from props
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

selig
RE Developer

04 May 2015

nikolafeve wrote:It's not a good idea at all! Bad move from props
Why?
Selig Audio, LLC

Ocean of Waves

04 May 2015

I think they themselves don't like it either but it's necessary to get more devs doing RE's. I as a 2D artist myself am glad I can now work more comfortable and faster.

noelcampbelljnr

04 May 2015

its a great move...Props backed the format into a corner from the start which slowed development and growth...they are now trying to react to this...so its a good thing. Hopefully we will see a lot more movement the format

marcuswitt

04 May 2015

Great to know that the new SDK2.2 supports SSE instructions now. I guess that's the most sought after feature and the most valuable one. 2D support is also very welcome...

Good move, PPH!!! Thanks!

submonsterz

04 May 2015

if the rack could be rotated and such in 3d space then im shure it would have had to stay but it cant its a 2d static image on ya screen anyhow so fucking good job too they changed it maybe people will get off the 3d asthetics and looks of plugs and start actually wanting something that works sounds good and is worth the money paying for instead of paying for time to make things that don't look much better actually when on your rack view anyhow ......
all this "looks shit" is just that "shit" who cares as long as it does its job sounds great has good features and is easily readable and definable to whats whats then bring it on.
cheaper dev = cheaper plug to make = dev cant moan at cheap and not make money because of bullshit costs to do 3d etc etc.

submonsterz

04 May 2015

Lizard wrote:I..... think....... this could be a good thing.  I think this may allow for the developer who has no 3D design skills more options to be creative than to have to use stock 3D assets.  The beauty of the 3D environment has been in its ability to maintain a consistency with that "Propellerhead Rack Look".  With the ability for 2D design this will (small or big) break that.  Hopefully a level of constraint on the developers side and a level of control on Propellerhead's side allow for devices that look natural in the rack.  If not you could have a lot of this...

and what would be wrong with that if it did what it is meant to do and didn't cost as much to dev?. the rewards are shared no ?.

nikolafeve

04 May 2015

selig wrote: Why?
Because i always thought that prop will release a future version of reason with a full 3D render of the rack and all devices (if not why it was required for the first RE?).
A full 3D GUI music software could be a big game changer, and i'm sure it can bring a LOT of new users and new devellopers in the future. VST, AU, AAX can't never move to the 3D world...
Maybe prop will do it, but now in this case we will have RE with 3D gui and other with a flat 2D render... The mix will be disgusting i think
And as said in a previous post we will probably see some really ugly GUI really soon IMO (as in the vst world)
It's important to have a quality standard specially for a new plugin format.
We will have some new developpers because the 2D support and it's cool, but trust me, no one want anybody from the vst world especially those with their buggy, useless, and ugly plugins...
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

electrofux

04 May 2015

I am more interested in the meaning of the SSE support. More efficient REs? What is the difference of the freeform diplay to the display that are currently usable? Couldnt find note to track/pattern support :/

Exowildebeest

04 May 2015

Am I the only one who noticed the typo "Pack Extension"? :D
Developers rejoice! Propellerhead's latest SDK 2.2 for Pack Extension development brings new ways to design and implement modern and simple GUI improvements and "expand ways we engage with REs".

Ocean of Waves

04 May 2015

selig wrote: Why?
nikolafeve wrote: Because i always thought that prop will release a future version of reason with a full 3D render of the rack and all devices (if not why it was required for the first RE?). A full 3D GUI music software could be a big game changer, and i'm sure it can bring a LOT of new users and new devellopers in the future. VST, AU, AAX can't never move to the 3D world... Maybe prop will do it, but now in this case we will have RE with 3D gui and other with a flat 2D render... The mix will be disgusting i think And as said in a previous post we will probably see some really ugly GUI really soon IMO (as in the vst world) It's important to have a quality standard specially for a new plugin format. We will have some new developpers because the 2D support and it's cool, but trust me, no one want anybody from the vst world especially those with their buggy, useless, and ugly plugins...
No, it was only there to be safe with future screen resolutions and to secure shading etc. It wasn't there to be used in a future 3DAW

ahs

04 May 2015

No, it was only there to be safe with future screen resolutions and to secure shading etc. It wasn't there to be used in a future 3DAW
and how to get this from 2D renderings ?
you can't scale them without losing resolution and you can't re-render them because there is (mostly) no 3D modell !

CharlyCharlzz

04 May 2015

maybe it's a really cooll news but maybe some devs will get a bit sick from having cut features from there VST's to then add them months later and other problèmes like that .

at the end of the day I'm saying this to The Devs and to Props Team :

PS: talking 3d why not rebirth on new3ds ?!?! ;)   PS2 : Korg got 2 cool 3ds app
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Ocean of Waves

04 May 2015

ahs wrote:
you can't scale them without losing resolution and you can't re-render them because there is (mostly) no 3D modell !
The input must be extremely high, I don't have full details.

Olivier

04 May 2015

Great, can't wait to see what this will bring !!

Next thing on the SDK agenda please: Sample loading
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 May 2015

submonsterz wrote: and what would be wrong with that if it did what it is meant to do and didn't cost as much to dev?. the rewards are shared no ?.
Good point about cost. Personally I like the 3d only approach but, *sigh* I guess it's not for everyone.

I'm sure it won't result in the lack of aesthetics that lizard warns of as the VST crowd seem to be doing fine.

SSE means much more manual optimisations available to the developer that the compiler might not have figured out by itself.

selig
RE Developer

04 May 2015

ahs wrote:
Ocean of Waves wrote:
Exactly - you start with very high resolution and actually scale them DOWN for the main view. It's overkill for now, but is more future-proof for laster versions of Reason that my include a zoom feature (pure speculation on my part). 
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

TheMiles

04 May 2015

ahs wrote:
Ocean of Waves wrote:
selig wrote:
Exactly - you start with very high resolution and actually scale them DOWN for the main view. It's overkill for now, but is more future-proof for laster versions of Reason that my include a zoom feature (pure speculation on my part). 
:)
Can't you achieve scalability of GUIS made using vector graphics ? 
Just a thought...

ahs

04 May 2015

@selig
you are loosing detail during scaling a pixel based image. i am doing a lot of work in cinema 4d and lighwave. i have to re-render for every target resolution.

Ocean of Waves

04 May 2015

ahs wrote:@selig
you are loosing detail during scaling a pixel based image. i am doing a lot of work in cinema 4d and lighwave. i have to re-render for every target resolution.
RED does this right now too.

ahs

04 May 2015

@themiles

yes, vectorbased ui would be my choice for a future proof daw (like fl studio). image line has the same problem even with there own vst's - not scalable

zakalwe

04 May 2015

cool.  no point being precious about the format if no one wants to port to it.

• Information