How to record patterns or songs with Korde Sequencer

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kevotebasura9

04 May 2015

Can someone share how to record using this? For example, I have a pattern with Korde connected to Parsec.  I trigger the pattern and try to record but nothing happens.  With Matirx I use the "create pattern lane" and then the pattern and sound can be exported to a song.

When I use Korde Sequencer, the "create pattern lane" button is disabled.  Please help!  Thanks.

PS - I am using Reason 7.  I saw a video where someone has Voice Pattern Lanes but he's using Reason 8. 

Puckboy2000

04 May 2015

I haven't tried Korde yet, but I know some REs don't have pattern to track. Like Tic Tic. A work around would be setting Parsec as an audio source then recording it on an audio channel. It won't be midi but at least you have the track laid down ( and should save on CPU after turning off Korde and Parsec).
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

submonsterz

04 May 2015

Sadly you have to use the loopback method for midi .
Very annoying and very not so cool, and just plain stupid to have to do things this way
Its as intelligent as reasons midi out........ a lot to be desired I`m afraid.

rcbuse
RE Developer

04 May 2015

kevotebasura9 wrote:Can someone share how to record using this? For example, I have a pattern with Korde connected to Parsec.  I trigger the pattern and try to record but nothing happens.  With Matirx I use the "create pattern lane" and then the pattern and sound can be exported to a song.

When I use Korde Sequencer, the "create pattern lane" button is disabled.  Please help!  Thanks.

PS - I am using Reason 7.  I saw a video where someone has Voice Pattern Lanes but he's using Reason 8. 
Unfortunately 3rd party REs do not have access to the "Copy Pattern to Track" feature.  It has been requested to propellerheads to add this ability.

buddard
RE Developer

04 May 2015

I don't think he's talking about pattern to track, I think he's talking about automating the pattern changes...? I'm not sure whether Korde's pattern selection buttons are automatable. (I can't check right now since I left Reason running on my home computer, so I can't launch Reason here without receiving an angry email from the props...)

If you select Korde's track in the sequencer, and then click on the automation menu button above the track list, which possible automation objects do you see?

In case the pattern changes are not automatable, there's a workaround: You can use Korde's voices as (monophonic) patterns instead! All you have to do is route the voices through another device such as Select CV Switch (which I developed), and use that device to determine which voice should be passed on to the instrument. There are other devices that can accomplish this as well, for instance TrafficControl.

So you connect each output pair from Korde to one of the input pairs on Select, and then Select's output pair to your instrument inputs. Then you create an automation track for Select and record the "pattern changes" in your song. You can also draw the pattern changes directly in Select's sequencer track (if you create an automation lane for "Channel" first). It's just an automation curve with 8 possible positions.

There's a quick demo of automation in Select's presentation video (on its product page).

rcbuse
RE Developer

04 May 2015

buddard wrote:I don't think he's talking about pattern to track, I think he's talking about automating the pattern changes...? I'm not sure whether Korde's pattern selection buttons are automatable. (I can't check right now since I left Reason running on my home computer, so I can't launch Reason here without receiving an angry email from the props...)
Ah! I totally misunderstood what was being asked then.  Yes, each voice has the ability to have the pattern selection automated, but not with the traditional pattern lane.  There are 8 "patterns" per device.

Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_9.02.30_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-05-04_at_9.02.30_AM.png (62.05 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

kevotebasura9

04 May 2015

Ok I see. I was hoping the Voice Patterns were pattern lanes that I could use to record but they are for automations.

I was able to do the audio loop back method, which is not ideal, but it can do. 

Too bad Propellerheads has not allowed third parties to copy pattern to track.  Thanks for the advice. 

I have been using the sequencer and the Shape extensions and like them quite a bit.  I'm able to use the Shape to create movement on the CCs to my External Midi Instruments and make some interesting complex sounds that way.

Bes
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2017

i really like the ability to control these pattern changes from external midi. i can do this with the combinator but only for 4 voices at a time. i'm hoping it is possible that in a future update all 8 patterns can be assignable at once either by lectric adding an assignable knob for each voice or propellerhead upgrading the combinator to 8 knobs
- Certified Reason expert

emilng

04 Dec 2017

Bes wrote:
03 Dec 2017
i really like the ability to control these pattern changes from external midi. i can do this with the combinator but only for 4 voices at a time. i'm hoping it is possible that in a future update all 8 patterns can be assignable at once either by lectric adding an assignable knob for each voice or propellerhead upgrading the combinator to 8 knobs
you can use the free cv8x4 rack extension https://shop.propellerheads.se/rack-ext ... generator/ for when you need 8 knobs. If you keep your combinator rotaries at 0 and use those CV ins you get an extra 4 CVs and the pitch and mod ins give you another 2 CVs if you're not using them.

rcbuse
RE Developer

04 Dec 2017

Bes wrote:
03 Dec 2017
The pattern selection for each voice is both automatable and a remote target. You shouldn't have any issues with changing them with remote midi.
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 12.24.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 12.24.53 PM.png (9.88 KiB) Viewed 1374 times

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2017

thanks for the responses

i am currently using an Akai MIDIMIX plugged in as a Multichannel Control Surface to which reason locks out remote functionality i will have to do some research into changing over to ..

update: i am now using the remote override edit mode to get exactly what i want thank you

korde is a fabulous rack extension

Bes
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2017

thanks emilng for the useful combinator expansion technique

• Information