Polyphonic step sequencer RE?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Aquila

03 May 2015

Does one exist? I've been through the shop and as far as I can tell there isn't one yet, so if I'm wrong I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

Ideally I'm interested in something as simple as the Matrix sequencer, with selectable patterns but can handle polyphonic notes using a similar CV polyphony exploit as Autotheory.

hamu

04 May 2015

Aquila wrote:Does one exist? I've been through the shop and as far as I can tell there isn't one yet, so if I'm wrong I'd love to be pointed in the right direction.

Ideally I'm interested in something as simple as the Matrix sequencer, with selectable patterns but can handle polyphonic notes using a similar CV polyphony exploit as Autotheory.
AFAIK there's no such device, but it's quite simple to use a couple of Minglers to combine the outputs of e.g. Korde to a single CV Gate & Note pair. 

As an alternative to Mingler, you can use the free CV-8 Gateway, but in this case you need to delay the different outputs from Korde with at least one batch (~1ms) between each input pair. To delay the CV signals, you can route them through another CV device (just in to out). 
There may be other alternative, maybe using PolyCV, but I'm not sure.
So, either way you'll need at least one additional RE.

Blamsoft
RE Developer

04 May 2015

This is the closest thing available with PolyCV:
http://blamsoft.com/tutorials/ps-multip ... equencers/

Aquila

04 May 2015

Blamsoft wrote:This is the closest thing available with PolyCV:
http://blamsoft.com/tutorials/ps-multip ... equencers/
Thanks guys, I'm trying the Polymodular now by inputing gate and note CVs from two Matrix sequencers but none of my instruments are receiving the notes. I've wired it up exactly as Blamsoft's tutorial but no go. Any ideas?

Blamsoft
RE Developer

04 May 2015

Sorry I wasn't very clear. Distributor is the only RE that currently supports PolyCV input so you need to use the Polymodular System.

Aquila

05 May 2015

Ah I see. I may have also assumed that PolyCV was the same CV technique that Pitchblende used with AutoTheory, which works with many devices.

Never mind, I'll just work with audio loops for now then ;)

ScuzzyEye

05 May 2015

Aquila wrote:Ah I see. I may have also assumed that PolyCV was the same CV technique that Pitchblende used with AutoTheory, which works with many devices.
The CV technique that AutoTheory uses is the same one that the RPG-8 uses when the arpeggiator is turned off. In fact, it's required to be supported by polyphonic instruments. What it doesn't allow is the release of one note in a chord, only new notes can be added. That's what PolyCV has allowed, the free start and release of over-lapping notes via CV.

tiker01

05 May 2015

Any news if any developers are adopting polyCV? As far as I know it is free for all DEVs. I would love to see an update to Autotheory!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Aquila

05 May 2015

Aquila wrote:Ah I see. I may have also assumed that PolyCV was the same CV technique that Pitchblende used with AutoTheory, which works with many devices.
ScuzzyEye wrote: The CV technique that AutoTheory uses is the same one that the RPG-8 uses when the arpeggiator is turned off. In fact, it's required to be supported by polyphonic instruments. What it doesn't allow is the release of one note in a chord, only new notes can be added. That's what PolyCV has allowed, the free start and release of over-lapping notes via CV.
That's very interesting to know, thanks!

rcbuse
RE Developer

05 May 2015

Lots of people have asked for Korde to be able to output the pseudo polyphonic CV that all the stock reason synths support.  I've been holding off on adding it, and finally decided to just make a separate device that will do the conversion.  At least this way it can be used with all the other sequencers like matrix and whatnot.  It will be headed for acceptance testing very soon.

Image  Image
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-05-05_at_6.31.15_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-05-05_at_6.31.15_PM.png (51.67 KiB) Viewed 2940 times

tiker01

06 May 2015

rcbuse wrote:Lots of people have asked for Korde to be able to output the pseudo polyphonic CV that all the stock reason synths support.  I've been holding off on adding it, and finally decided to just make a separate device that will do the conversion.  At least this way it can be used with all the other sequencers like matrix and whatnot.  It will be headed for acceptance testing very soon.

Image  Image
So this is not the PolyCV Blamsoft has developed, is it?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.

meowsqueak
RE Developer

06 May 2015

tiker01 wrote:Any news if any developers are adopting polyCV? As far as I know it is free for all DEVs. I would love to see an update to Autotheory!
PolyCV for AutoTheory remains a possibility, however (as I understand it) for it to be effective it needs support from instruments, as that's where AutoTheory makes use of polyphony. There's a little bit of chicken-egg going on here, I suspect.

I'm not sure whether PolyCV on AutoTheory's CV inputs would be useful. Thoughts?

rcbuse
RE Developer

06 May 2015

tiker01 wrote: So this is not the PolyCV Blamsoft has developed, is it?
No, this doesn't use PolyCV at all.  There is already a free device that would do this for PolyCV: https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... akout-box/

tiker01

06 May 2015

tiker01 wrote:Any news if any developers are adopting polyCV? As far as I know it is free for all DEVs. I would love to see an update to Autotheory!
meowsqueak wrote:
PolyCV for AutoTheory remains a possibility, however (as I understand it) for it to be effective it needs support from instruments, as that's where AutoTheory makes use of polyphony. There's a little bit of chicken-egg going on here, I suspect.

I'm not sure whether PolyCV on AutoTheory's CV inputs would be useful. Thoughts?
Well. Yeah I thought that by now may and all new Re-s will have PolyCV capability. In terms of Autotheory it would be possible to have optionally merged Chord and Melody CV outs. This was if a synth supports PolyCV one instance would be enough to play chords and melody and maybe note release of chords could be implemented somehow.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite

Aquila

08 May 2015

rcbuse wrote:Lots of people have asked for Korde to be able to output the pseudo polyphonic CV that all the stock reason synths support.  I've been holding off on adding it, and finally decided to just make a separate device that will do the conversion.  At least this way it can be used with all the other sequencers like matrix and whatnot.  It will be headed for acceptance testing very soon.

Image  Image
Thankyou so much rcbuse. I saw it in the shop this afternoon and grabbed it straight away!

Olivier

08 May 2015

Image  Image
I really appreciate that you release this as a seperate device. (i would've payed for it). Also, i wish more Dev's would think like this. This is what the power of the Rack is about. Modular goodness.

:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

electrofux

08 May 2015

meowsqueak wrote:

I am sequencing chords with Autotheory and Thor and because of mono cv it is impossible to trigger the black keys (Chord Variations) in the Chord Section while a Chord (I-VII) is playing.

Though a separate CV in for the Chord variations would be sufficient.

Edit: just wondering what happens if i trigger the I-VII Chord via the Autotheory CV-in and the Variation via the Combinator CV-In, hmmm have to try that.

Edit2: got it working. The Thor Sequencer sends Note/Gate data to autotheory to trigger the chords Curve 1 sequences the Octave and Curve 2 sends note data to the Combinator Note CV in which then forwards it to Autotheory. Curve2 only sends the black keys to make variation of chords, white keys are filtered out and kill the Combinators Gate in so that nothing overlaps.
It needs some CV devices to make it work (Lolth for delaying the gate signals for the Chords so that the Octave settings are in effect first, ModSelsor to make black and white key values accessable/possible to filter out and CV-8/CV8x4 Generator to assign black keys note values again) but now it is nice to sequence autotheory from my launchpad.

• Information