Sonic Charge added features to Echobode and released as a VST/AU!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

29 Apr 2015

mrj1nx wrote:Mainly the fact that we get a small subset of all possible plugins available to users of 99% of other DAW's, and that the RE format however awesome and cool it is that we finally got it, still lacks many possibilities of a real VST. Like how many VST synths like RP's blue 2 is just to complext to be possible within as a RE. Just makes me feel that bitter feeling that maybe I should have kept at it with Logic instead and not be limited in the same way. Still love reason, but... 
Warning: I'm about to totally digress from this thread...  

I think many users may be setting themselves up for disappointment.  Why, you ask?  Because it won't matter how many features that Rack Extensions support - they will still all be relegated to fitting inside the Reason rack.  

Let's take inventory of the top features that seem to be missing that could (possibly, theoretically) be added someday to RE's:
  • sample loading by users
  • switchable panels (ala Kong/Thor)
  • the aforementioned missing support for true indirect "meta parameters" that Sonic Charge needs
  • access to the OS's advanced graphics acceleration
..and these are just a few of many requests that I'm sure current VST devs would love to have in Reason.  But... all of those things won't amount to a hill of beans if devs are still stuck designing for - at maximum - a 9U interface, IMHO.  Sure, having the above will help a great deal - but look at the sort of GUI that stuff such as Serum, Synplant, and other VST offer.  Would this work crammed into a 9U interface in Reason's rack?  (*edit: ok, maybe Synplant was a poor example - but there's some massive plugins out there GUI-wise)!

The bottom line is, many plugins out there would need to have a fundamental redesign just to work in Reason's rack with the things I listed above.  But the way they are currently designed is part of their existence, and to re-design them would mean losing that functionality - thus the conundrum of function/form versus cost of development for - let's face it - an extremely limited market.

For me - I use Reason for what it is, and the RE's I do use add to its functionality, and I am completely content.  Though I would love to see more popular VST product in Reason, I have no illusions to them appearing anytime soon - if ever.  And I'm fine with that.  In the meantime, I use another DAW for those plugins.   ;)

All that said, Permut8 was designed first and foremost as being a Reason Rack Extension from the get go (notice how it fits nicely in the rack)? ;)  It's just the missing features they mentioned that's holding them back.  I have no doubt that Magus and Fredrick could slam one out of the park quickly should the RE SDK give them what they want.  Here's to hoping it occurs someday soon...

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Ostermilk

29 Apr 2015

Good post EL!!!

:s0826:

hydlide

29 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote: The bottom line is, many plugins out there would need to have a fundamental redesign just to work in Reason's rack with the things I listed above.  But the way they are currently designed is part of their existence, and to re-design them would mean losing that functionality - thus the conundrum of function/form versus cost of development for - let's face it - an extremely limited market.
I will back you up for this. As a being a developer myself, cross platform and gui exchange is often a thing where "budget" / time and ROI (Return of investment) will play an important role when it comes to the "do we need this" question.

And as far the move for echobode going VST, I think that is smart regarding to aim for a wide range audience (so I understand that point of view also).

Marco Raaphorst

30 Apr 2015

it's a little sad that the Reason market is so small...

normen

30 Apr 2015

Its funny how every musician tries to be original and then they complain that their DAW is used by so few people ;)

Marco Raaphorst

30 Apr 2015

normen wrote:Its funny how every musician tries to be original and then they complain that their DAW is used by so few people ;)
yes, this is what happens when both doing music and selling sounds :)

lowpryo

30 Apr 2015

normen wrote:Its funny how every musician tries to be original and then they complain that their DAW is used by so few people ;)
I don't think people are complaining because they are lonely... they are complaining because a DAW with a tiny userbase is not attractive to third party developers. (or even PH when it comes to providing support & highly requested features)

normen

30 Apr 2015

lowpryo wrote:I don't think people are complaining because they are lonely... they are complaining because a DAW with a tiny userbase is not attractive to third party developers. (or even PH when it comes to providing support & highly requested features)
Afaics the most complaints are not about certain plugin *types* but specific *plugins* they see other people use/rave about. Like the constant "I want that FM7 Skrillex uses!" or "I want those NI sampler instruments that are on everybody's album!"

Ocean of Waves

30 Apr 2015

lol, so true! 

EnochLight

30 Apr 2015

normen wrote:Afaics the most complaints are not about certain plugin *types* but specific *plugins* they see other people use/rave about. Like the constant "I want that FM7 Skrillex uses!" or "I want those NI sampler instruments that are on everybody's album!"
If Skrillex uses Permut8, I officially withdraw my desire to have it as a Rack Extension.   :t2018: :s0238: :rofl: :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

muffins4all

07 May 2015

devilfish wrote:I got the discount Code today :D VST VST VST VST VST !!!! :)
popp wrote:

How much is the discounted sale price?
devilfish wrote: 25% off
I got a much better discount than this.  Maybe ask real nice. :D

• Information