ReQ-131 v2 Video

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

27 Apr 2015

We've spoken to Props and awaiting trial resets, not sure exactly when but hopefully quite soon. We wanted a reset on it since there's quite a significant difference since version 1

nikolafeve

27 Apr 2015

Feature suggestion: it could be so useful to have a spectrum analyser option!!
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

Shokstar

27 Apr 2015

nikolafeve wrote:Feature suggestion: it could be so useful to have a spectrum analyser option!!
press F2, done! :D

plaamook

28 Apr 2015

Yeah, I just bought it. I've been waiting for this to happen for some time now. The whole blend thing is crazy. Well done LabOne.

DSP seems ok. I'm on a 13" MBP 2.9GHz 16GB Ram HDD with loads of other apps running and I didn't get any twitching in Reason until I had like 25 of the things stacked up on an NNXT running a loop on a Matrix.

Along side the GQ-7 its like battle of the equalizers out there!
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

Tincture

28 Apr 2015

Glad to see this update. Looks like it'll be a lot easier to use and some very nice new features too. 12E seems reasonable to me.

Yonatan

28 Apr 2015

Great gak, then let us hear how the new version makes it in the Rack. 
I love the new clearer look, the ability to "draw a curve" with the mouse and "blending" would be worth upgrading
The only thing left is how it impacts the CPU. There is not a word about it in the list, so if it still heavy, I still have to wait but am sure that Lab will try to fix that when knowing about its importance for holding many back on it.
plaamook above said the CPU seems fine with this upgrade, so I am holding the finger on the trigger. I really like those dedicated developers like Labone and a bunch of others, making this RE market a living thing despite the absence of many VST-plugin-makers.  :)

Arsenic

28 Apr 2015

€12 for this update brings the total to €41 for me. Sorry, but no way.

devilfish

28 Apr 2015

Arsenic wrote:€12 for this update brings the total to €41 for me. Sorry, but no way.
Same here...
I bought Cubase Pro 8, 2 weeks ago, and now I will only buy VST stuff .. Or use one of the thousands of freeware Plugins ;)
RE's : RIP!
It's my money^^

Bonkhead

28 Apr 2015

HeartbreakOne wrote:I assume the updates caused the surge in DSP usage. ...... I can only assume that DSP will be an issue of concern even more so than before.  And if it's not a free update, I can't justify paying for it again.  Because I have really 'paid' for purchasing the one I have now, in blood, sweat and MANY, MANY tears.
HeartbreakOne wrote:Someone please post your DSP hit results when you get it.  One will do.  I just want to know if they streamlined it or not. 

I run about 52 ACTIVE Req131 v2's on my 2 year old i7 3770 before it says computer too slow (at 95% cpu limit)
That's on multiple chains and it's not a typo, that is more than FIFTY modules. It's very cpu efficient for what it does, even more than req v1.
Single chain for my computer is max cpu hit at at least 22 modules, but who wants more than 3 in one chain ?
Trails will be reset so you can leave the capslock off.

First you assume a high cpu hit, then say it is not you, it is labone's fault for not wanting to pay for the upgrade. Meanwhile you have no idea how much work went into this. Sorry, it is you from where I'm sitting. No harm done, go test v2 out and be amazed :)

jfrichards

28 Apr 2015

I'm looking forward to having enough money to get the upgrade.  I have a few other devices higher on my wish list, but the improvements look very good.  I use the v1 in most of my songs, in exactly the same way I use my real 31 band EQ.  There are surgical tweaks that cannot be done with other EQs, or at least not so quickly.

selig
RE Developer

28 Apr 2015

gak wrote:I'm trying to find something surgical for guitar stuff so I'm glad I can still trial this. The original version was a hog cpu wise so will be interesting to see how this goes.

I think the price is quite fair btw.
Not sure what you mean by "surgical", but a graphic EQ is not considered surgical by most, fwiw. That's the realm of parametric EQs, which can achieve a MUCH more narrow cut/boost characteristic. 
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Arrant
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2015

Great update, I would easily pay $15 just for the curve drawing feature and the rest is pure bonus :)

jfrichards

28 Apr 2015

selig wrote:...Not sure what you mean by "surgical"...
Not speaking for gak, but the surgery I do with a 31 band on guitar goes something like this:  I'll drop the bottom 5 or so bands down to -6 or -12 for high pass, then drop the 20K for low pass.  Then I'll try to find the exact "shimmer" frequency somewhere between 4K and 16K and boost it when the rest of the song is playing to see how it can make the beauty of the guitar stand out.  The way I find frequency bands for boosting or cutting at this point is to raise the band up all the way to hear what I'm dealing with, then drop it all the way down to see if it's a frequency I want at all, then I set the appropriate level for it based on both what character it gives to the instrument and how it fits in while the rest of the song is playing.  I do this for numerous sections of the song.  After I've got my shimmer so that it's clear but not clashing with strings, electric piano tines, hihats, etc., I go through the remaining 20 or so bands raising each one all the way to hear what it is, dropping it all the way to see if I want it, and setting a level that does those two things also (instrument character and clash-avoidance).  After doing all this, it is often quite surprising what the shape turns out to be.  Often it is very complex, like with two camel humps and some single bands very high or low.  I then bypass the EQ and occasionally, it sounds better with no EQ at all (I still don't consider it a waste since that only happens one out of 50 times).  If I were to try that with several parametrics, it would take way longer (I used to do that in Reason with several MClass or PEQs before REQ131 came along).  I had seen many 31 bands in studios set with very complex shapes for guitar and thought it was too much, but now I do it myself.  Another surgical use for the 31-band is simply to get rid of unwanted frequencies, but that is done equally well or better by parametrics for me.

As you say, the band is not as narrow as a parametric can be, so sometimes I have to drop the two adjacent bands a teeny bit to narrow the boost.  I really like working with the 31.  This explanation was all using v1, so it'll be interesting to see how the updates help.  I can see one whereby I could draw a curve to start instead of starting with flat and then work on the individual bands for fine tuning.

Edit: One warning is that I notice a little distortion when boosting with REQ131, so I don't use it when the guitar is prominent or solo in the song, but I can make my mid-priced Dean acoustic sound more like a Breedlove or Martin when I do it right.

Emian

28 Apr 2015

Arsenic wrote:€12 for this update brings the total to €41 for me. Sorry, but no way.

how?

i payed 15 EUR for v 1.0, + 12 for the update makes only 27 EUR, instead of 32 EUR for new users  ....

Attachments
REQ_131.JPG
REQ_131.JPG (19.68 KiB) Viewed 2445 times

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Arsenic

28 Apr 2015

Emian wrote:
Emian wrote:  
how?

Because it was originally €29. They then reduced it to €15 - That's how.

nikolafeve

28 Apr 2015

nikolafeve wrote:Feature suggestion: it could be so useful to have a spectrum analyser option!!
Shokstar wrote:
Lool thanks ;)

Seriously a spectrum analyser in the display of this EQ could be SUPER useful. 
LAB ONE what do you think about this idea? Is it possible ?
thx
Reason 10 - UA Apollo Twin -  OSX 10.13.6 - MacBook Pro 15inch 2018 - 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7 - RAM 16GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 - Radeon Pro 555X 4096 MB

gak

28 Apr 2015

Yeah, it's still pretty hungry. Nice update though. One that rstouch should have in it's arsenal as it would be really handy to have the touch screen for that. 

EnochLight

28 Apr 2015

nikolafeve wrote:Seriously a spectrum analyser in the display of this EQ could be SUPER useful. LAB ONE what do you think about this idea? Is it possible ?
thx
Oh it's possible (see Synapse Audio's GQ-7 RE).  I don't know if they'd do it, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

LEDBOO

29 Apr 2015

Same here...
I bought Cubase Pro 8, 2 weeks ago, and now I will only buy VST stuff .. Or use one of the thousands of freeware Plugins ;)
It's my money^^

I haven't bought a RE in a while. Or make music in Reason. But this was my favorite EQ. Glad to see the update. I've been on a Logic/Maschine, Komplete Kontrol10/Akai Renaissance/Arturia (SparkLE, AnalogLab)/Pro Tools/ VST AU journey. Lol. I sunk my fingers FabFilter an never looked back...........til now. I'm Updating.

devilfish

29 Apr 2015

Shokstar wrote:
nikolafeve wrote: Lool thanks ;)

Seriously a spectrum analyser in the display of this EQ could be SUPER useful. 
LAB ONE what do you think about this idea? Is it possible ?
thx
It is... And V3 will be 15€ again :D

devilfish

29 Apr 2015

LEDBOO wrote: Same here...
It's my money^^

I haven't bought a RE in a while. Or make music in Reason. But this was my favorite EQ. Glad to see the update. I've been on a Logic/Maschine, Komplete Kontrol10/Akai Renaissance/Arturia (SparkLE, AnalogLab)/Pro Tools/ VST AU journey. Lol. I sunk my fingers FabFilter an never looked back...........til now. I'm Updating.

Same here ... Never touched Reason since saturday. Cubase was my First Seq. and will be my last, i think :)
The cubase Performance is really really good !
And i Love all the Freeware Plugins ;)

Tincture

29 Apr 2015

Reason was my first way of producing music since Dec 2001. Still my only. All of my costs are right here. So are the benefits.

O1B

30 Apr 2015

Tried… Instant BUY.. as stated somewheres…
A/B is priceless.  
Blend… Lord.
Freq SHIFT… Hallelujah! 
the Sonics - Harmonically pleasing .. with Power maintained.  
the Layout… intuitive.  right down to "COPY to B" on the L and "RESET A" on the R

I like the sliders from the Original.. maybe  Red Ellipses , instead.

Good for Cutting to make room but maintaining freq balance - if there was any.
Great for Boosting … Gets the Job done nicely on an 808 Kick… 

Great EQ.

Emian

03 May 2015

Emian wrote:
Emian wrote:  
how?

Arsenic wrote:
Because it was originally €29. They then reduced it to €15 - That's how.

that i didn't know, appologies ....

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

ProfessaKaos

03 May 2015

The new interface sort reminds me of the graphics of the old Atari 2600.
Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

• Information