Noxious 3.4 stars?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Morphic1977

20 Apr 2015

electrochoc wrote:
- More usable patches (presets). According to what I read, the patch bank that comes with Noxious (its preset bank) has been greatly improved too. The initial patch bank was considered as weak and not showing the power of Noxious. I said "According to what I read", because I am myself someone who never use patch banks (I am a pure tweaker!).

- Better DSP performance. Back in the old days, a few Noxious in your rack were enough to get the "computer too slow" message. The "Partial Count" and "Precision" faders were even there so you can lower the quality of the sound from Noxious to get better performances! One of the recent updates focussed on solving those performance issues, so Noxious is now pretty light on CPU, except when dealing with some (at least one) CPU-hungry modifiers.
Morphic1977 wrote:
Hello guys,

I would like to ask how big was the improvement of the performance of this synth after the updates? Can anyone answer if there are still patches which can change your PC to hot air oven ?

I remember that when I was trialing the synth, it was too heavy on my PC. At the same time, original presets were not something unique / bombastic. But I can not remember what version I was trialing. Is there a way how to find it? I could then make better picture if this synth is worth of the sale price now.

One final question, do you thnik that Noxious can produce sounds aimed for EDM production? I am especially interesting in fat aggresive / trance solo leads.

Thanks

Martin
arqui wrote:

Noxious is open to try again if you wish.

Well, I am logged in, and I am still seeing it as TRIED. I am not able to try it again, only to buy.
That is why I asked those question. I heard that the trial was reset only for those who tried version 1, but I am not sure if it is true.
:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

tumar

20 Apr 2015

TheFilterMob wrote:Personally, I 'd like to say NOXIOUS IS GREAT, it's very easy to program and if you don't learn how to program it in a few days to a week , you're probably just not ever going to understand how a simple synthesizer is programed.  A lot of people just don't like stuff they don't understand but one thing I can say is that the Noxious is a great synth! The only pitfall is that it does use a lot of cpu power, other than that I'd say its' a powerhouse……Just my opinion! 
Jesus! Such hate! Take it easy, man... Maybe you are not going to understand some things. Just knock to your head that Noxious is not state of the art on (overcrowded) synth market.

dvdrtldg

20 Apr 2015

Morphic1977 wrote: Hello guys,

I would like to ask how big was the improvement of the performance of this synth after the updates? Can anyone answer if there are still patches which can change your PC to hot air oven ?

I remember that when I was trialing the synth, it was too heavy on my PC. At the same time, original presets were not something unique / bombastic. But I can not remember what version I was trialing. Is there a way how to find it? I could then make better picture if this synth is worth of the sale price now.

One final question, do you thnik that Noxious can produce sounds aimed for EDM production? I am especially interesting in fat aggresive / trance solo leads.

Thanks

Martin
I can't give you a before/after update comparison, but the current version is still pretty heavy on CPU. As for EDM production and fat aggressive lead sounds, I'd say look elsewhere. It probably wouldn't be impossible to achieve, with some help (or a lot of help) from other devices, but why not just go with a different synth that's fit for purpose. Noxious imo is best suited to more subtle, nuanced sounds.

Shokstar

20 Apr 2015

You can get great results out of Nouxious, if you know what do you want :)  

Listn, all sounds are made with Noxious during the Beta, I´ve figured out to use a chorus and a reverb RE to spice the sound up during the sounddesign process (turn on/off the chorus and/or reverb). 

https://soundcloud.com/shoko-at-work/noxious-shop-demo

arqui

20 Apr 2015

Shokstar wrote:You can get great results out of Nouxious, if you know what do you want :)  

Listn, all sounds are made with Noxious during the Beta, I´ve figured out to use a chorus and a reverb RE to spice the sound up during the sounddesign process (turn on/off the chorus and/or reverb). 

Hi Shokstar!!!
One question! How do you make the scrach and tape stop in this song? is amazing!!!

regards
Alfredo

Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Shokstar

20 Apr 2015

Shokstar wrote:You can get great results out of Nouxious, if you know what do you want :)  

arqui wrote:
Hi Shokstar!!!
One question! How do you make the scrach and tape stop in this song? is amazing!!!

regards
Alfredo

This Tape-Stop effect was made with Glitch-RE by Ochen K. you also can do the same effect with Buffre, GSX or Polar as well :)

with Glitch-RE was it really easy, turn on and off the effect and adjust the Tape-Stop length, done :)  

Morphic1977

21 Apr 2015

Hello,

great device for making tapestops, vinyl spins, scratching, and stutter is also BeatChop Realtime slicer. I made a song for Quad song contest using this device. You can hear those effects starting from 1:02 to 1:20 and then from 3:25 to 3:42.

Listen to Jet sQUADron (Trance Mix) by MORPHIC CELLS #np on #SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/morphic1977-1/je ... trance-mix

arqui

21 Apr 2015

Morphic1977 wrote:Hello,

great device for making tapestops, vinyl spins, scratching, and stutter is also BeatChop Realtime slicer. I made a song for Quad song contest using this device. You can hear those effects starting from 1:02 to 1:20 and then from 3:25 to 3:42.

Listen to Jet sQUADron (Trance Mix) by MORPHIC CELLS #np on #SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/morphic1977-1/je ... trance-mix
Thanks is realy good too.
I have only buffre I go try with it. but yours are amazing. Very thanks and congratulations.
Glitch is very cheapest, maybe I will buy it.

PD: you have a lot of Re!!!  :crazy:

Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Morphic1977

03 May 2015

Hi guys,
I have finally decided to buy Noxious. I would give it 4 stars, the presets which come with it are not something special, but when you start to tweak parameters you can get very interesting results. As to DSP performance, it is much better than it was in previous versions (I can not tell which version, as I can not remember which version I tested). There is simple solution how to decrease the load on your PC, try to lower polyphony to 4 to 5 notes if some presets seem to hit your CPU hard. Anyway, for 39 euros it is nice toy :-)

Ashpool

04 May 2015

I am a pretty good customer and I love to be convinced of a product to buy it. And when I have heard
that Noxious is on sale I almost bought it on the fly just because it is an Additive Synth and we do not
have much versatility in the rack when it comes to additive synthesis. Like the OP I wondered why it
was rated so low and decided to try Noxious first before buying it.

For me, it was a very good decision!

Yes the presets did not impress me that much. I took the time to listen to all of them and tried to use
then in any context. I was not able to and so I tried to build my own sounds. Then I have noticed that
Noxious is not that complicated as it looks at first glance. After some time I knew how to tweak the
sounds in the direction I wanted. Nevertheless, in my opinion Noxious sounds pretty boring on its own.
Sure, if you use several Noxious or other FX from the rack to pump up Noxious sound you can get
great results. But on its own... no, I was not impressed.

As I said in the beginning: I'm a pretty good customer and I love to get new stuff. And that's why I am
a bit disappointed that Noxious couldn't convince me. I really tried the complete 30 day trial to find a
reason for buying this RE.

I have bought Parsec a while ago and like it a lot. Maybe if Zvork comes up with Noxious 2.0 and add
another OSC for example or provide better sounds in any way, I would love to give it another try but
for now I think 3.4 stars are totally justified. Noxious seems to be designed for very special purposes
that did not meet my personal needs.

By the way, I have had no CPU issues at all with Noxious.

submonsterz

04 May 2015

Ashpool wrote:I am a pretty good customer and I love to be convinced of a product to buy it. And when I have heard
that Noxious is on sale I almost bought it on the fly just because it is an Additive Synth and we do not
have much versatility in the rack when it comes to additive synthesis. Like the OP I wondered why it
was rated so low and decided to try Noxious first before buying it.

For me, it was a very good decision!

Yes the presets did not impress me that much. I took the time to listen to all of them and tried to use
then in any context. I was not able to and so I tried to build my own sounds. Then I have noticed that
Noxious is not that complicated as it looks at first glance. After some time I knew how to tweak the
sounds in the direction I wanted. Nevertheless, in my opinion Noxious sounds pretty boring on its own.
Sure, if you use several Noxious or other FX from the rack to pump up Noxious sound you can get
great results. But on its own... no, I was not impressed.

As I said in the beginning: I'm a pretty good customer and I love to get new stuff. And that's why I am
a bit disappointed that Noxious couldn't convince me. I really tried the complete 30 day trial to find a
reason for buying this RE.

I have bought Parsec a while ago and like it a lot. Maybe if Zvork comes up with Noxious 2.0 and add
another OSC for example or provide better sounds in any way, I would love to give it another try but
for now I think 3.4 stars are totally justified. Noxious seems to be designed for very special purposes
that did not meet my personal needs.

By the way, I have had no CPU issues at all with Noxious.
try looking first that parsec has delay and reverb effects on board add them to noxious and then see if you cant get the same sort of sounds ;) . I went noxious and not parsec and predator and not antidote different horses for different courses I think.
but if you want to compare synths you first need to weigh in the things that one has and one hasn't got then add into the one that hasn't and then try see if you get same results and sounds .

Ashpool

04 May 2015

You are absolutely right! It is not fair to compare both Parsec and Noxious.
But as I said, I already owned Parsec and tried to find a reason to buy Noxious.
I just picked Parsec because there is no other Additive Synth or is there?

It was not my intention to make Noxious bad. It is just my opinion.
And if someone out there is interested in Noxious and already has Parsec he or she
maybe wants to read as different opinions as possible to make his own decision.

Yes, adding Delay, Reverb or unison can blow up any synth and I am aware that
Parsec has on-board FX but Noxious has none. But even without Reverb and Delay
the Sound Engines of Parsec do fit my needs more than Noxious Modifiers. And I
tried to find a reason to buy Noxious. I was able to get good sounds from it but
was never really excited by the sound of Noxious itself.

I'm sorry if I have offended you (or other Noxious users). :frown:
That's just what I (!) think about Noxious.

• Information