Noxious 3.4 stars?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
arqui

19 Apr 2015

Hi Everyone.

I don´t believe the score so low in the store.
Noxious is amazing and you can get very easily spectacular sounds.
you are saying?

I'm beginning to think that the star system is not very convincing.

greetings.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

EnochLight

19 Apr 2015

arqui wrote:Hi Everyone.

I don´t believe the score so low in the store.
Noxious is amazing and you can get very easily spectacular sounds.
you are saying?

I'm beginning to think that the star system is not very convincing.

greetings.

The star system may not be very convincing to you, but it's generally an accurate rating for older devices that have had time in the shop (read: enough people to try and rate it). New devices have too small of a sample group, IMHO, but that's true for any rating system. Assuming people are rating honestly of course, this is real feedback from those who have tried it.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

MDTerps2015

19 Apr 2015

I am in trial with Noxious and personally I wont even touch it again. I think its the worst designed synth in the shop and if it takes me more than a week to figure it out, then it pretty much not worth my time. Anyway to each their own. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Karim
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2015

Personally. I don't like at all :-(

I bought lot of instruments but this one I pass...
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

RFX

19 Apr 2015

Well, it can make decent sounds, but I couldn't get my head around it. It's really confusing to use to be honest.

I tried making something but I couldn't manage to come up with anything, since this synth just confuses me. If you're good at using it, use it.

arqui

19 Apr 2015

Thanks all
Now I see why the score so low. not everyone likes noxious.
ok, for me is an incredible synthesizer.
Again I believe in the star system, lol :)

pbc278

19 Apr 2015

The rating system is totally unfair. If a developer updates a device the 'Old' ratings still apply. There's no way to rate different things about a device, so this rating system is not representative/ not fair for older devices imho. I think Noxious has improved a lot since it first came out...
Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

NaviRetlav

19 Apr 2015

The original release of noxious wasn't great, but after few updates it's a totally new synth.
I bet that most of the bad rating for this synth comes from the first version. Even my self, for original release I would gave it only 3 stars, but now for the current version I rated it 5.   :)

If you don't believe that it can make some epic sounds, than check our Noxious ReFill Demo: https://soundcloud.com/naviretlavstudio ... ll-noxious

selig
RE Developer

19 Apr 2015

Interestingly, I found Noxious to be very simple and inspiring, almost too simple (wish there were two main oscillators for layering, etc). But I agree, to each their own, and what works or makes sense to one personmay appear totally obscure to others. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

electrochoc (PRX-A)

19 Apr 2015

I too find Noxious easy to use and intuitive, after I have learnt how it works (that was done quickly in my case, after a few "tweak-and-see-what-happens" time!). But it's true that it works differently than a subtractive synth (most ot the available synths), and this might repel some people.

But it's true that the first version of Noxious has some flaws that were corrected since then, and many low rates it received might date back from that time. Noxious has notably been improved in those ways:

- More modifiers and filter types. The first version of Noxious was more limited in terms of how you can sculpt your sound. Many modifiers were added along the way, among which some are now my most-used ones.

- More waveforms and a variation knob. Thanks to the variation knob, the number of possible waveforms from which you can start to tweak has exploded since the first version!

- More usable patches (presets). According to what I read, the patch bank that comes with Noxious (its preset bank) has been greatly improved too. The initial patch bank was considered as weak and not showing the power of Noxious. I said "According to what I read", because I am myself someone who never use patch banks (I am a pure tweaker!).

- Better DSP performance. Back in the old days, a few Noxious in your rack were enough to get the "computer too slow" message. The "Partial Count" and "Precision" faders were even there so you can lower the quality of the sound from Noxious to get better performances! One of the recent updates focussed on solving those performance issues, so Noxious is now pretty light on CPU, except when dealing with some (at least one) CPU-hungry modifiers.

The low rate for Noxious was set before those improvements came out, and it's sad that the shop still carries those low rates... It's a better synth today, with more creative possibilities, and more usabality. It has its own character, and is suitable in some situations more than others. I use it mainly as a strange high-pitch ambiance souds source (putting a LFO or an env on the variation knob gives great results for that!), as a source for synthetic digital-sounding metallic sounds (it competes with the PX7 that I now have for that), and it's my main source of hand-made organ sounds. I consider it at 49$ as a steal for any tweaker!
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

tumar

19 Apr 2015

I tested (probably) 1st edition. As I remember, it was poor synth for me (sound), even in RE world, where plugins are rather miserable compared to vst/au and I don't have any huge expectations. Maybe Noxious was completly redesigned since then, but because of ultimate one-month demo policy we can't try it again.

eusti

19 Apr 2015

tumar wrote:I tested (probably) 1st edition. As I remember, it was poor synth for me (sound), even in RE world, where plugins are rather miserable compared to vst/au and I don't have any huge expectations. Maybe Noxious was completly redesigned since then, but because of ultimate one-month demo policy we can't try it again.
I think the trial has been reset for this one. Not 100% sure...

D.

Faastwalker

19 Apr 2015

arqui wrote:I'm beginning to think that the star system is not very convincing.
You've only just worked this out?! :? The 'Star' system is a travesrty! Complete waste of time IMO. Just ignore & pretend it doesn't exist. Then it will never bother or influence you again ;)

eXode

20 Apr 2015

I think Zvork deservers credit.

They've done a great deal of changes to Noxious, including lots of performance improvements, the Width and Variation parameters, new filter models, the ability to run the filters in parallell, etc. It's modifiers are really interesting imho and give me more detailed control than parsec. I'm also pretty certain that they did indeed reset the trial as well.

eusti

20 Apr 2015

Thank you for confirming the trial reset, eXode!

D.

mrj1nx

20 Apr 2015

Weird, for me it stil says tried, so can't trial it again.

psychasm

20 Apr 2015

Busy trialling this this and not really liking it. Thor Maelstrom and Subtractor can pretty much do anything that I have wanted to hear and more when coupled with stock devices such as the Phaser and ECF.

dvdrtldg

20 Apr 2015

This is an amazing synth for strange atmospheric soundscapes. Of course strange atmospheric soundscapes might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I get beautiful weird evolving noise out of Noxious that I definitely can't get out of any other synth, including Parsec. Needs a bit of help from other devices if you want to get a really big sound, but I love it.

eusti

20 Apr 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:This is an amazing synth for strange atmospheric soundscapes. Of course strange atmospheric soundscapes might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I get beautiful weird evolving noise out of Noxious that I definitely can't get out of any other synth, including Parsec. Needs a bit of help from other devices if you want to get a really big sound, but I love it.
Maybe you could give us some audio examples?

D.

Prints

20 Apr 2015

Noxious is a fine synth; especially for less than $50. I don't know how someone could take pride in their inability to make sense of it as though it were flawed; it's rather straight forward, and I revel in its abilities that differentiate it from the standard VA synth. "I can't figure it out. I give up. I give it three stars.." lol I'd feel more embarrassed than want to give an opinion on something I didn't understand. Whatever I guess; this just ends up making the synth even more special to those who do understand it.

Prints

20 Apr 2015

Here's a song I made with Noxious before all the updates. It was for the contest they had when it first came out.

https://soundcloud.com/prints/nox

Morphic1977

20 Apr 2015

electrochoc wrote:
- More usable patches (presets). According to what I read, the patch bank that comes with Noxious (its preset bank) has been greatly improved too. The initial patch bank was considered as weak and not showing the power of Noxious. I said "According to what I read", because I am myself someone who never use patch banks (I am a pure tweaker!).

- Better DSP performance. Back in the old days, a few Noxious in your rack were enough to get the "computer too slow" message. The "Partial Count" and "Precision" faders were even there so you can lower the quality of the sound from Noxious to get better performances! One of the recent updates focussed on solving those performance issues, so Noxious is now pretty light on CPU, except when dealing with some (at least one) CPU-hungry modifiers.
Hello guys,

I would like to ask how big was the improvement of the performance of this synth after the updates? Can anyone answer if there are still patches which can change your PC to hot air oven ?

I remember that when I was trialing the synth, it was too heavy on my PC. At the same time, original presets were not something unique / bombastic. But I can not remember what version I was trialing. Is there a way how to find it? I could then make better picture if this synth is worth of the sale price now.

One final question, do you thnik that Noxious can produce sounds aimed for EDM production? I am especially interesting in fat aggresive / trance solo leads.

Thanks

Martin
:reason: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :re: :refill:

Nektar Panorama P4, Many of REs and couple of refills...

eusti

20 Apr 2015

Prints wrote:Here's a song I made with Noxious before all the updates. It was for the contest they had when it first came out.

https://soundcloud.com/prints/nox
Thanks for sharing, Prints! Some nice sounds in there! :)

D.

arqui

20 Apr 2015

electrochoc wrote:

Morphic1977 wrote:
Hello guys,

I would like to ask how big was the improvement of the performance of this synth after the updates? Can anyone answer if there are still patches which can change your PC to hot air oven ?

I remember that when I was trialing the synth, it was too heavy on my PC. At the same time, original presets were not something unique / bombastic. But I can not remember what version I was trialing. Is there a way how to find it? I could then make better picture if this synth is worth of the sale price now.

One final question, do you thnik that Noxious can produce sounds aimed for EDM production? I am especially interesting in fat aggresive / trance solo leads.

Thanks

Martin

Noxious is open to try again if you wish.

TheFilterMob

20 Apr 2015

Personally, I 'd like to say NOXIOUS IS GREAT, it's very easy to program and if you don't learn how to program it in a few days to a week , you're probably just not ever going to understand how a simple synthesizer is programed.  A lot of people just don't like stuff they don't understand but one thing I can say is that the Noxious is a great synth! The only pitfall is that it does use a lot of cpu power, other than that I'd say its' a powerhouse……Just my opinion! 
I'm a Propellerhead for life!

• Information