McDSP 670 compressor. Thoughts?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gak

20 Apr 2015

I think this one is a miss for me. Like Concep said, it really clamps down on things. 

My ears say unless there is a secret sauce that I'm unaware of it's just not what I'm looking for at all. 

Kazz

20 Apr 2015

If you can find anything about the VST/AU/etc. versions, the controls and DSP code should be the same, so the sound and almost all of the info about it should be the same.

BillyKodak

20 Apr 2015

I appreciate the input guys. :-) I guess it all depends on the context. To my ears it sounds really smooth, and I'd extend that sentiment to the Moo compressor which I've just bought. Cheers, Kodak.

gak

22 Apr 2015

gak wrote:I think this one is a miss for me. Like Concep said, it really clamps down on things. 

My ears say unless there is a secret sauce that I'm unaware of it's just not what I'm looking for at all. 
I may have been wrong. 

gak

22 Apr 2015

You know, sometimes you have to find the right application.......

For example. When trying all the typical things (like drum bus) this isn't really the ticket. I thought that with the comments Billy made that I'd be able to put it on something and get gain w/o clipping. That doesn't work very well imho. Again, doesn't mean I'm not doing something wrong but it has 3 knobs...I seriously doubt I'm controlling it wrong :rofl: And if you turn down the threshold too much, it's too obvious.

BUT, if you have something like reason drums 2 or kong setups where the separate outputs are there, then things get interesting. Again as an example: The reason drums usually have a ton of crap that I don't like (and kong usually has what is imho a pretty lousy compressor if you don't build from scratch) and using this per output seems to be a dyno way of getting more oomph and less "crush" dynamics. One great thing is as far as I can tell, it's pretty light on the CPU load so this isn't a concern unless you have a fairly old computer.

Much testing to do further though.

EthicistBeats

25 Apr 2015

Hey guys, i made a combi to emulate the fairchild's Lat-Vert signal processing [mid-side]. It's a simple patch, two c670's connected via a thor [selig's m-s encode patch]. I havent done too much experimenting with it, besides one track, so im not exactly sure how well it compares to the original [i've been meaning to test it against the waves puigchild, but havent yet and want to upload this patch before this thread completely dies.] Hopefully it's close. Peace.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/423 ... t-Vert.cmb

• Information