New Rack Extension EQ with custom display coming?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

15 Apr 2015

I saw this posted over at the Rack Extensionists FB group:

Could this possibly be an SDK 2.0 follow-up to Lab One's ReQ131?

Attachments
p17ptr107qrjn17psftc4l13vd7.png
p17ptr107qrjn17psftc4l13vd7.png (222.5 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

devilfish

15 Apr 2015

yes!

We have waited long enough!

Emian

15 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:I saw this posted over at the Rack Extensionists FB group:

Could this possibly be an SDK 2.0 follow-up to Lab One's ReQ131?

lol i asked the same thing on FB :) i sure hope its an REQ131 update !!!! "excited" :)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

normen

15 Apr 2015

Tincture wrote:I hope so, I'd use it a LOT more, it's fiddly as is.
How is it more "fiddly" than the thing its supposed to emulate? :)

Tincture

15 Apr 2015

Tincture wrote:I hope so, I'd use it a LOT more, it's fiddly as is.
normen wrote:
How is it more "fiddly" than the thing its supposed to emulate? :)
If I had a Graphic EQ in front of me I'm sure my fingers could make small adjustments easily without accessing the wrong slider. Also, if I wanted to make curves I could use my fingers in a different manner.

I just find as it is I'm doing a LOT of clicking to get what I want. Maybe I'm just special ;)

gak

15 Apr 2015

Controlling that thing with a mouse must be a total mess.....

joeyluck

15 Apr 2015

gak wrote:Controlling that thing with a mouse must be a total mess.....
Actually the custom display should make it easy. As you should be able to click and drag to 'draw.'

But it does look a bit busy...

normen

15 Apr 2015

Tincture wrote:If I had a Graphic EQ in front of me I'm sure my fingers could make small adjustments easily without accessing the wrong slider. Also, if I wanted to make curves I could use my fingers in a different manner.

I just find as it is I'm doing a LOT of clicking to get what I want. Maybe I'm just special ;)
Mh, I find real graphic EQs notoriously inconvenient as well I have to say, true with the curves though.

gak

15 Apr 2015

One thing about true "31 band graphic eq's" that was invaluable in the old days was for feedback control. I'm not sure I've ever really gotten them to give desirable results in the daw stage (I couldn't sell the GEQ waves fast enough, the only waves product that I've ever considered absolutely useless)

But that said, with the update this is looking to receive does look really cool.

normen

15 Apr 2015

gak wrote:One thing about true "31 band graphic eq's" that was invaluable in the old days was for feedback control. I'm not sure I've ever really gotten them to give desirable results in the daw stage (I couldn't sell the GEQ waves fast enough, the only waves product that I've ever considered absolutely useless)

But that said, with the update this is looking to receive does look really cool.
You'd use them for EQing PA systems as well as for monitors, yeah. For a DAW where you can open an unlimited amount of parametric EQs I don't see the point of a 31band at all..

devilfish

15 Apr 2015

gak wrote:One thing about true "31 band graphic eq's" that was invaluable in the old days was for feedback control. I'm not sure I've ever really gotten them to give desirable results in the daw stage (I couldn't sell the GEQ waves fast enough, the only waves product that I've ever considered absolutely useless)

normen wrote:
You'd use them for EQing PA systems as well as for monitors, yeah. For a DAW where you can open an unlimited amount of parametric EQs I don't see the point of a 31band at all..
Why should i do something with 4-10 parametric EQs, when i can do it with one 31 Band EQ???
Please tell me ??

selig
RE Developer

15 Apr 2015

normen wrote:
devilfish wrote: Why should i do something with 4-10 parametric EQs, when i can do it with one 31 Band EQ??? Please tell me ??
Because you can't do the same thing with a parametric you can with a graphic (that's why they have both been around for years now). For one thing, there are gentle boosts/cuts that can easily be done with one band of parametric EQ, but would take many bands of graphic EQ (each with it's own phase shift, FWIW). There are also narrow cuts/boosts that cannot be done with a parametric, giving another vote to the parametric EQ solution. 

With a parametric's versatility I have to wonder why anyone would use 4-10 parametric EQs on a single source, but to each their own… :)
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

15 Apr 2015

devilfish wrote:Why should i do something with 4-10 parametric EQs, when i can do it with one 31 Band EQ??? Please tell me ??
I didn't say you should do anything.

Tincture

15 Apr 2015

One thing that has always bemused me about these two (Red Rock's incl.) is that people assume that because there are 30 or so bands, they are very narrow Q cuts! It's such nonsense. If people were to look at the breadth of one -12db cut I think they'd be very surprised! Precise and "parametric" they ain't ;)

The day that one of these can more precisely do the job of "4-10 Parametric EQs" I'll be taking a much closer look!!!! Don't get me wrong; I have and like REQ131; but use it where it's best suited (love its mid/side modes)... and if it gets easier to use... whoa! :)

normen

15 Apr 2015

Tincture wrote:One thing that has always bemused me about these two (Red Rock's incl.) is that people assume that because there are 30 or so bands, they are very narrow Q cuts! It's such nonsense. If people were to look at the breadth of one -12db cut I think they'd be very surprised! Precise and "parametric" they ain't ;)

The day that one of these can more precisely do the job of "4-10 Parametric EQs" I'll be taking a much closer look!!!! Don't get me wrong; I have and like REQ131; but use it where it's best suited (love its mid/side modes)... and if it gets easier to use... whoa! :)
In german these are called "Terzband EQ" which means "3rd(interval)-band EQ", making it much clearer what the Q factor of the single bands is :) Btw, you can get more narrow cuts/boosts in a graphic when you move the knobs right next to the cut/boost in the other direction.

Tincture

15 Apr 2015

Interesting that... the raising of the sliders either side to narrow the Q :) It's nice that we can 'see' these things these days ;) Oh to have those ears.

Jagwah

15 Apr 2015

I love the dry / wet knob on REQ-131, makes for an awesome effect in many different situations.

EnochLight

15 Apr 2015

normen wrote: For a DAW where you can open an unlimited amount of parametric EQs I don't see the point of a 31band at all..

devilfish wrote:Why should i do something with 4-10 parametric EQs, when i can do it with one 31 Band EQ??? Please tell me ??
normen wrote:I didn't say you should do anything.
Normen, I can see how with your earlier statement that you seemed to suggest using an unlimited amount of parametric EQ's [instead of a single 31 band] was a solution.  Or did you mean something else?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

16 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:Normen, I can see how with your earlier statement that you seemed to suggest using an unlimited amount of parametric EQ's [instead of a single 31 band] was a solution.  Or did you mean something else?
I didn't say anything about what "devilfish" should do though. As for me, yes, I never, ever used a Graphic EQ in a DAW (or more than 3 parametric ones). If anything "devilfish" should explain something to me afaics.

EnochLight

16 Apr 2015

normen wrote:I didn't say anything about what "devilfish" should do though. 
My point being, it (you suggesting using multiple parametric eq's instead of a graphical eq) can be interpreted as being one and the same (saying anyone, hypothetically can/should do this).  Regardless, no worries.  It's clear that much gets lost in translation.   ;)
normen wrote:As for me, yes, I never, ever used a Graphic EQ in a DAW (or more than 3 parametric ones). If anything "devilfish" should explain something to me afaics.
I can't speak for devilfish, but think of the graphic EQ mode in Propellerhead's own BV512.  It just another way to approach equalization, even if it's just for creative effect purposes.  

selig
RE Developer

16 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:
Normen, I can see how with your earlier statement that you seemed to suggest using an unlimited amount of parametric EQ's [instead of a single 31 band] was a solution.  Or did you mean something else?
Isn't it clear what he meant, especially since it would be LITERALLY impossible to ever use an UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF PARAMETRIC EQ?  Not sure how anyone could take his statement literally… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

16 Apr 2015

EnochLight wrote:My point being, it (you suggesting using multiple parametric eq's instead of a graphical eq) can be interpreted as being one and the same (saying anyone, hypothetically can/should do this).  Regardless, no worries.  It's clear that much gets lost in translation.   ;)
Its basically what I said but only regarding me. And yes, anyone CAN do this. And it IS the same, sans the additional phase shift from all the sequential EQ stages in the graphic EQ (as Giles indicated).

I can't think of many applications where one wouldn't be able to do the same with a parametric EQ and NONE when you have an unlimited amount of parametric EQs, especially as you'll never need 31 parametric EQs to do something you'd do with the 31 sliders of a graphic one. (Sure you could make a theoretic setting in a graphic where you'd actually need 31 parametrics but thats the point where the usefulness of that would have to be explained to ME instead :) )

When I'm asked (with three question marks) why somebody in particular SHOULD do this my answer is "I didn't say you should do anything".
EnochLight wrote:I can't speak for devilfish, but think of the graphic EQ mode in Propellerhead's own BV512.  It just another way to approach equalization, even if it's just for creative effect purposes.
Exactly, its just another way to approach it, not something where a graphic EQ is actually the only solution.

submonsterz

16 Apr 2015

Whats an EQ?

EnochLight

16 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote:Whats an EQ?
Equestrian Quarterly.  Normen and I ride high band pass ponies on the weekend and love the magazine.

• Information