Might buy the AD 480 but...

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marco Raaphorst

14 Apr 2015

I am trying out the AD 480 and am impressed. For me it's the most natural sounding reverb in Reason. I have the Uhbik A which I bought because it can do nice sounding early reflections.

Thing I hate though, and this often keeps me from buying RE's: I can not sell the Uhbik A. I am sure than when I the AD 480 I will never touch the Uhbik again. This feels wrong to me. Money badly spend. 

Anyone?

normen

14 Apr 2015

Stop feeling bad ;) You'll invest more money, energy and time into "useless" things over the course of your life. Maybe see it as if you had bought the time you had gaining experience with Uhbik A and its parameters, thats something you'll never lose. Like the "time you wasted" with your first girlfriend :)

Marco Raaphorst

14 Apr 2015

like that Normen, thanks! :D

challism

14 Apr 2015

I agree with Normen.  It isn't a waste, Marco.  Just think of it as another piece of gear you own, and it isn't your favorite anymore because you have a newer, better piece of gear.  But you were able to use it up until you got the newer RE.  You may also find it useful to pull out some time in the future; it might just end up being the perfect reverb for a future project.  You never know.  But isn't it nice to know that it'll be there, in your rack, should you need it?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Marco Raaphorst

14 Apr 2015

yes challism you're also right. I am a minimalist by nature but I have't bought too many stuff I find totally unusefull so I should simply chill and enjoy the experience I had with it. and yeah you never know what the future brings. maybe I start using the Uhbik A again.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2015

Marco, 

In an soft piano ballad, put an Uhbick A reverb on the first send and add it to the piano track. Instant magic. Wouldn't change it for Tsar 1 or any other.

I have Uhbik A, Tsar-1 and AD 480. I use them all in different situations (and even RV7000).

selig
RE Developer

14 Apr 2015

Another 480 fan here too! And don't forget all the things like movies, a nice dinner, etc. that we pay for and use only once.

And to add to what's already been said, you can run the Ubik INTO the 480 since the Ubik does nice early reflections (and that may be the only weak spot in the 480 IMO). 

But I DO understand your minimalism - I tend to store or give away the things I no longer use, but there are a few I keep around even though it may be years between uses (my PCM-70 reverbs, for example). 

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

craven

14 Apr 2015

some really good vibes in this thread!
:ugeek:

Marco Raaphorst

14 Apr 2015

mcatalao wrote:Marco, 

In an soft piano ballad, put an Uhbick A reverb on the first send and add it to the piano track. Instant magic. Wouldn't change it for Tsar 1 or any other.

I have Uhbik A, Tsar-1 and AD 480. I use them all in different situations (and even RV7000).
I understand. And I use the RV7000 also. For guitars mainly (spring is in the air!).

Marco Raaphorst

14 Apr 2015

I was helping a friend with mixing. He has the ALL hardware, well almost. See https://www.flickr.com/photos/raaphorst/16524867413/
UAD, Eventide and even Tchad Blake's Sansamp... I mean, we are in the Netherlands... :) Even more so: in my hometown, The Hague. And I must say: great sound. My friend is using Logic and uses a lot of hardware synths, the old Juno's and even a Talkbox. 

Although I am a minimalist I like to sit in that studio and just have a great time :D

lowpryo

14 Apr 2015

buyer's remorse is a real problem, you just have to persist through it! I have a number of RE purchases that I regret, to the point where if I could delete them from my account with no refund, I would. because they're annoying to scroll past all the time, and it's annoying to avoid syncing them. however, I don't think the Uhbik-A should be one of those. it sounds amazing for small room reverbs. it will complement the AD480 very nicely!

Thesim

14 Apr 2015

Wow marco I would also like to sit in that studio, in fact he'd never get rid of me

Yonatan

14 Apr 2015

Oh, so many new interesting REs that are coming. Will wait a bit until I try them out,
so I can use them in one dedicated song-project, and then see how much I will miss them when there is a summer sale or Black Friday.   

Marco Raaphorst

14 Apr 2015

I think for short chamber like verbs, early reflections, Uhibik is my favorite. When I use reverb it's often this type I will use. At the moment I am thinking about not buying the AD 480 :) Strange how the mind works... and how music works :)

geronimo

14 Apr 2015

Don't forget Renoun: it's surprising _

Marco Raaphorst

14 Apr 2015

thanks for the tip! never tried that.

• Information