Envelope Generators

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zakalwe

14 Apr 2015

So, I'm getting into MIDI triggering envelopes from combinators so i can use filter banks with NN-XT.  currently i'm using subtractor as it can handle legato trigger mode.  this works quite well but having control over curve and other advanced stuff would be cool.

I'm demoing CV mutant and Charlotte at the moment.  these have a lot of features but I haven't figured out if i can even get a basic legato trigger mode out of them!  can any one help me out with them or is there a native rack or another RE I might consider?

challism

14 Apr 2015

I can't find anything in the CV Mutant manual talking about legato triggers.  I assume you are trialing Version 2.  http://multi-d.nl/manual%20%28v2%29.html

This is from the Charlotte manual.

Perhaps Matt (JP) and Koen (Multi-D) can chime in and give you some more info.  It doesn't look like Charlotte or CV Mutant offer full legato triggering.
Attachments
Charlotte.jpg
Charlotte.jpg (129.11 KiB) Viewed 2215 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

zakalwe

14 Apr 2015

yeah i had a dig in the manual and that's what i found too.

i mean i guess i could MIDI trigger a subtractor and shape the signal with these RE but it's defeating the purpose of having a dedicated unit a bit.

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 Apr 2015

One of the reasons I made the Shape RE was to function as an envelope generator.  There is a switch in the back to set it so it won't retrigger. 

zakalwe

14 Apr 2015

cool, i'll have a look at the demo.

bsp

09 May 2015

I just ran into the same issue.. the missing legato mode in Charlotte (or e.g. CV Mutant).

Searched the web, found this thread but no answer.

So here is one:

Create a Thor instance and in its mod matrix, route "Voice Key -> Gate" to "CV Out1" (set amount to at least 20%).

Connect "CV Out1" to the gate input of Charlotte/CV Mutant/..

Make sure that the env module does _not_ receive notes (or in case of Charlotte, set gate trig to CV).

Voila, legato mode :-)

Blamsoft
RE Developer

09 May 2015

You might want to try Movement. It has legato.

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... generator/

Xcone

14 May 2015

CV Mutant does not support legato. CV Mutant was designed to shape/translate existing signals like BSP describes. The other features are just shortcuts so you don't have to use external CV sources for everything. So they only cover the basics. Legato isn't among them.

I'll write it down, though. Might be a nice thing to add for when I get some time to create an update.

Greetings,
Koen

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 May 2015

Why not try the ENVs in Thor as they will do what you need with all the options and no extra cost?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

chimp_spanner

14 May 2015

I'm surprised that there isn't a simple 1U device with a gate input, ADSR controls and a set of outputs, even as a free RE. I've tried Charlotte, and I own Movement as part of the Polymodular System but tbh I find them a little too complicated. For really simple synths I've been using Pulsar as it has an AR envelope output, but it's still a bit messy (visually) having all that extra LFO stuff about.

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 May 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:I'm surprised that there isn't a simple 1U device with a gate input, ADSR controls and a set of outputs, even as a free RE. I've tried Charlotte, and I own Movement as part of the Polymodular System but tbh I find them a little too complicated. For really simple synths I've been using Pulsar as it has an AR envelope output, but it's still a bit messy (visually) having all that extra LFO stuff about.
As Benedict suggested, I would really try using Thor.  Just wire your trigger up the gate CV input, and use the CV global envelope output, thats a pretty fancy ASDR right there with delay, hold, and looping!

Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-05-14_at_8.46.45_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-05-14_at_8.46.45_AM.png (21.47 KiB) Viewed 1950 times

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 May 2015

Hey Mr Panda

Why don't you make an RE with pictures of the elements of Thor that people could be using instead of getting stressed; Env, Filt, Mod Matrix. That sort of thing? If you feel you need the marketing clout then you can put my name on it (and give me half of the money) :s0238:

Benedict Roff-Marsh

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 May 2015

Benedict wrote:Hey Mr Panda

Why don't you make an RE with pictures of the elements of Thor that people could be using instead of getting stressed
Stressed?  Not really sure what you mean or how to respond. 

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 May 2015

Sorry Mr Panda

Just joking that we see people getting stressed and looking for REs when Thor could already have solved the problem.

The idea of people buying an RE that reminded them what they already have amused me.

Carry on.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

rcbuse
RE Developer

14 May 2015

Benedict wrote:Sorry Mr Panda

Just joking that we see people getting stressed and looking for REs when Thor could already have solved the problem.

The idea of people buying an RE that reminded them what they already have amused me.

Carry on.

Ah! Now I get it.  :)   So true..  

theAnt2002

21 May 2018

:thumbs_up: I know this is an old thread, but europa is perfect for shaping envelopes to control parameters of other devices.

By routing CV out you can achieve loads of great effects, including midi retriggered bass and pad ducking in a similar way you can with xfer lfo tool.

Ive made some useful combinators that use CV out from europa envelopes.

EdGrip

21 May 2018

The distressingly-named Reasonistas SideChain ReAction Enveloper is excellent for generating envelopes - unfortunately it's not currently on sale, but it is an excellent utility device.
It offers LOTS of sync control, though maybe not as precise as a dedicated ADSR EG if you want specific millisecond durations.

• Information