Spectralizer RE: unable to get SugarBytes support

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
alex

12 Apr 2015

Hi,

for the ones who own Spectralizer from SugarBytes, I'm demoing it and I'm suprised by the insteresting and weird sounds you can get out of it (mostly FX). I think it's a very cool and original sounding RE unfortunately I believe I've found a bug.

Here's the problem:
when saving and reopening a project, the delay knob value in tonal mode gets instead the free mode value, if previously tweaked, even though visually it shows the correct position.

How to reproduce it:
- put a spectralizer on a sound, a rex loop for example
- put dry/wet know all the way to the wet side and raise a bit the bands knob, let's say 50 (half way), in order to get a more prominent effect
- now set delay knob mode to free and delay knob value to its maximum (120 ms)
- change delay knob mode to tonal and set its value to minimum (32 Hz)
- listen to at how the effect sounds like and save the project
- reopen the project, press play and you'll notice the effect has changed

In my observations the delay knob (in tonal mode) show its position to minimum (32 Hz) BUT the actual sound you get is the one at its maxium postion (1050 Hz) which match the free mode one.

Tested on Windows 7 sp1 64 bit, Reason 8.1, Intel Core i5.

I've opened a support ticket to sugarbytes but after two weeks still no replies. Instead I ended up being subcribed to their newsletter (without any explicit agreement) and I received a "spring sale" mail news for vst products which I don't use. I wrote them again one week ago but still no luck. I feel like I'm being ignored.
So I contacted Propellerhead but they said nothing can be done by their part since it's not their product.
I really would like to buy this RE but without a decent support and an annoying bug I think I'll pass.

Anyone would like to confirm this bug or could suggest me if there is something else I can do?

Thanks,
Alessandro

The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

Gaja

12 Apr 2015

Sugarbytes have been slaughtered in the PUF and I believe they have lost interest in the platform pretty rapidly as a result. I don't think you'll have any luck with their support (hope I'm wrong though), I believe they have abandoned the format so much that they don't care about bugs in the plugs or whether or not somebody buys into it, which their response (that is sending you their newsletter instead of help) clearly shows.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

softska

12 Apr 2015

Don't recall them being particularly good at support even for vst. Maybe you will have some luck on their official forum on kvr instead — not optimistic, but good luck

ahs

12 Apr 2015

i think now the props are in charge to correct this error because what if you own several re's with no support anymore and the props change something in the code and the re's don't work anymore as expected !?

Gaja

12 Apr 2015

ahs wrote:i think now the props are in charge to correct this error because what if you own several re's with no support anymore and the props change something in the code and the re's don't work anymore as expected !?
I don't think that would be possible. They have a contract with over 1000 developers guaranteeing that every RE will be available in the store forever, so that wouldn't happen for the legal issues alone. On the other hand I don't think that would be possible at all, because they only provide the SDK and all the actual plugin code has to be supplied by the developers. But then again I'm no programmer, so I can't say for sure if they might be able to do that.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

kloeckno

12 Apr 2015

No developer is going to give Props their source code for an RE, so no, they won't be able to fix most bugs. And that won't change any time soon.

gak

12 Apr 2015

We should have a list of the stuff like this. Then people can know that there is a possibility of running into issues before hand.

alex

14 Apr 2015

Thank you very much for all the responses. Good to know they have an official forum @kvr. I will ask for support there. I didn't thought of that!
I don't know what happend between them and Propellerhead. I can recall there was an additional RE, called SB Ring Mod or something but it was removed very quickly from the shop... I feel sorry for that. I don't understand either the criticts to their products since I find this plugin collection not bad at all: is relatively cheap and offer high quality audio processing and makes your life easy if you're looking for that "happy accident" to happen.
I own the slice arranger which is really cool precisely because you don't have to worry about its "internals" or take deep control over all parameters: sometimes you just want to stick an RE on a track and tweak the knobs until something "magic" happens! :)

I'll let you know if I'll have any news.

Ciao,
Alessandro
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

ScuzzyEye

14 Apr 2015

alex wrote: I don't know what happend between them and Propellerhead.
I don't think it was Propellerhead, but the Propellerhead User Forum just being its usual self. I don't know if it was because SugarBytes were one of the initial developers that expectations were unreasonably high, or what, but the some PUF users reacted unkindly, and unrelentingly. SugarBytes didn't take it well, and packed up their bags, and left. Frankly I didn't blame them. It seems other developers have done the same thing, maybe not for exactly the same reason, or as publicly, but there are ones who have obviously stopped releasing REs.

I'm not saying there's no place for bad reviews, but unending negativity directed to a developer or a devices does no one any good. Constructive criticism, saying what exactly you don't like about how something functions, or behaves, or asking if a feature could be added works out much better in the long run, and has with quite a few REs resulted in improved devices.

I'm saying, if all you have to add to a conversation is, "it's ugly, this sucks, I'm not buying it." Then maybe those things are better left unsaid.

joeyluck

14 Apr 2015

No problem with them wanting to move from the format (if that is the case). But if so, they need to remove the products from the shop.

Gaja

15 Apr 2015

joeyluck wrote:No problem with them wanting to move from the format (if that is the case). But if so, they need to remove the products from the shop.
Either that or write on the shop page tat you're no longer developing and te devices will stay "as is" for all eternity.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

MirEko

19 Apr 2015

Sad they got runout of town as their latest synths are all really interesting and some would if made great REs.
They are skilled developers.

But most of the flak was about price as I recall, there was 5 or 6 RE at $29 each.. But each of the RE was just a simplified module taken from Turnado (which you can buy for iPad for around $20, I got it on sale for $10).

People felt like they were cashing in on a relatively empty market by just ripping out the code from their turnado modules, massively simplifying them and then releasing them as cash cows.

I'm a huge sugarbytes fan, and I think their RE offering was a bad show, and the subsequent ignoring of issues and updates is sad. I want them to return but even if they won't, they should at least fix the broken fisher price REs they left..
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

Gaja

19 Apr 2015

Fisher price :D lol
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information