Step and Select are in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

By the way, I agree with the points above about pattern support. This was something that we really wanted to include in Step from the beginning, but in the end we felt that it would compromise too much with the Remote support among other things.

The plan is to see what happens in the next revision of the SDK. If certain "pattern-friendly" features are added, then we will add pattern support using that (if possible).

If not, well, then there are other ways we can move forward. Without revealing too much about the SDK (I hope), we are considering the following alternatives:
  1. We could add support for a few patterns inside Step, six at the most. Then we could retain some kind of Remote support, although it would mean separate remote objects for every step property and every pattern, which would add up to 768 separate Remote objects(!). Hopefully there would be a way to create Remote codecs that could handle this in a good way?
  2. We could add support for a lot of patterns, by storing them in a more "compressed" format. This would only allow Remote control over the first pattern, that would use the current storage format.
For both of these alternatives, pattern automation would look pretty much like in Select: A single automation lane with a "staircase curve".

And since we held back on the pattern functionality we decided to create Select and offer it for free to everyone who buys Step. Then at least you don't have to pay money for a third party RE in order to have a workaround.

dvdrtldg

11 Apr 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:I can't get velocity to work - drawing in curves does nothing, unless I reduce the velocity to zero, in which case the note is silent.

Same with the velocity knob - silent at zero, then consistent velocity everywhere else, like an on/off switch. I've gone through the manual - what am I missing here?
selig wrote:
What you describe sounds exactly like you're using a patch on the receiving end that doesn't respond to volume velocity. BTW, a velocity of 0 is considered a "note off", so that's why it behaves like an on/off switch. Make sure the patch is actually velocity sensitive (or try a different patch) and you should see a difference. :)
buddard wrote:
Ah, of course! I thought that the problem was that there was no visual feedback.  :s0959:

Thanks, Selig!
That's it alright... thanks guys

frog974new

11 Apr 2015

buddard wrote:By the way, I agree with the points above about pattern support. This was something that we really wanted to include in Step from the beginning, but in the end we felt that it would compromise too much with the Remote support among other things.

The plan is to see what happens in the next revision of the SDK. If certain "pattern-friendly" features are added, then we will add pattern support using that (if possible).

If not, well, then there are other ways we can move forward. Without revealing too much about the SDK (I hope), we are considering the following alternatives:
  1. We could add support for a few patterns inside Step, six at the most. Then we could retain some kind of Remote support, although it would mean separate remote objects for every step property and every pattern, which would add up to 768 separate Remote objects(!). Hopefully there would be a way to create Remote codecs that could handle this in a good way?
  2. We could add support for a lot of patterns, by storing them in a more "compressed" format. This would only allow Remote control over the first pattern, that would use the current storage format.
For both of these alternatives, pattern automation would look pretty much like in Select: A single automation lane with a "staircase curve".

And since we held back on the pattern functionality we decided to create Select and offer it for free to everyone who buys Step. Then at least you don't have to pay money for a third party RE in order to have a workaround.
may be the first option is better for Liver ( live performance ) .

alex

18 Apr 2015

Dear Buddard / Robotic Bean,

I've just got StepRE and I'm having lots of fun with it.
With great surprise I've also noticed that StepRE is able to record patterns coming from other devices like matrix
using the loopMIDI/EMI routing trick.

Why do that? Personally I find very effective and inspiring to tweak a given pattern from StepRE panel because
it's super easy to quantize it to a built-in scale or manipulate other parameters like velocity, not to mention the wonderful offset feature.

Obviously recording a pattern in this way does not retain its tied/legato notes.

So, would you consider to introduce the ability to record legato/tied gate events (in the case it could be technically possible)?
If I'm not missing something it should happen when a given note duration overlap the next one.

Forgive me if I said something technically inaccurate.

Regards,
Alessandro
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

buddard
RE Developer

18 Apr 2015

alex wrote: With great surprise I've also noticed that StepRE is able to record patterns coming from other devices like matrix
Actually, another user alerted me to the fact that there's an even simpler way to do this: Just put Step in a Combinator and connect Matrix to the CV/Gate inputs on the Combinator! This had never occurred to me before!  :)
Obviously recording a pattern in this way does not retain its tied/legato notes.

So, would you consider to introduce the ability to record legato/tied gate events (in the case it could be technically possible)?
If I'm not missing something it should happen when a given note duration overlap the next one.
This is definitely possible, and it's something that we've actually been considering since the final stages of the beta. We had to leave it out of 1.0 due to time constraints, but it's already in our "backlog". If we can make it work in a satisfying way, it's in!  :)

The only downside I see with it is that it may cause a lot of accidental ties when recording. But we're definitely going to try it out!

Thanks for the feedback!

Emian

18 Apr 2015

alex wrote: With great surprise I've also noticed that StepRE is able to record patterns coming from other devices like matrix
buddard wrote:
Actually,
buddard wrote:another user
buddard wrote: alerted me to the fact that there's an even simpler way to do this: Just put Step in a Combinator and connect Matrix to the CV/Gate inputs on the Combinator! This had never occurred to me before!  :)

That would be me , posted earlier in this tread :)

That way its so easy & fast to have fun with melodies !
i'm glad to own all Robotic Bean RE's, because to me they're of the most inspiring ones, give quick results, & whenever i have no inspiration, those RE's help me trough.
& they also work perfectly toghether ;) !

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

alex

19 Apr 2015

@Buddard: great! Thank you very much! I look forward for the next update then. :)

@Emian: Nice tip! This simplifies a lot the workflow!

Ciao!
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

• Information