Step and Select are in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
buddard
RE Developer

10 Apr 2015

ncurry

10 Apr 2015

Congrats! Flexible and powerful little device.

eusti

10 Apr 2015

Congrats, looks great!

D.

Emian

10 Apr 2015

She's a beauty ! :)

A nice trick :

* open a starter combi & connect a matrix to the combi.
* randomize pattern of the Matrix until it sounds cool .
*record with Step & remove Matrix
*now transpose/add Tie or Rest/change direction/ ....

WAY Cool device ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

JoshuaPhilgarlic

10 Apr 2015

challism

10 Apr 2015

Congrats Niklas.  I hope you sell a million licenses!  I'm really excited for you guys.

:)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Puckboy2000

10 Apr 2015

Can't wait to dive into it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

Tincture

10 Apr 2015

Because this device is all about playing with the sequence (rather than necessarily the pitches, although it can transpose as well :) ), for me, this is one device where I'm not bothered about Notes to Track. It quickly makes a whole range of illiteration's possible. 

JoshuaPhilgarlic

10 Apr 2015

Tincture wrote:Because this device is all about playing with the sequence (rather than necessarily the pitches, although it can transpose as well :) ), for me, this is one device where I'm not bothered about Notes to Track. It quickly makes a whole range of illiteration's possible. 
Agree! BTW I'm wondering why people cry for note-to-track all the time but never for pattern change? All this pattern based stuff is just half-backed without the ability to change those patterns like it's already possible with Matrix or Redrum. For me note-to-track is just a goody, but pattern change is a basic requirement!

doctecazoid

10 Apr 2015

Viewed the video.  Read the user guide.  Bought the bundle.  Brilliant piece of kit!

Emian

10 Apr 2015

Tincture wrote:Because this device is all about playing with the sequence (rather than necessarily the pitches, although it can transpose as well :) ), for me, this is one device where I'm not bothered about Notes to Track. It quickly makes a whole range of illiteration's possible. 

that is so exactly how i tought of it :) ! it's a FUN toy, quick & easy to use (as was Euclid).
things like these are great when out of inspiration, so stimulating !!

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

stxlm

10 Apr 2015

That was an insta-buy! Gave me a reason to buy ABL2 as well. :)

If there's a wish-list: I love the randomize and alter features of Matrix. Is that possible to implement later? 
(Tried recording a matrix pattern, and while that is great, I don't get the ties & rests.)

joeyluck

10 Apr 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Agree! BTW I'm wondering why people cry for not-to-track all the time...
Well I wouldn't say cry for...LOL
Just patience over here :) I think it will be something that becomes possible sometime down the road. Without it, it feels like REs aren't fully integrated with Reason.

I spend much time in the Sequencer and I like to see the notes in the sequencer. If I change keys for the bridge, without notes-to-track, I would make changes in the sequencer and then have to look elsewhere and make changes elsewhere. For me, it would actually be most ideal if the Sequencer simply had step record. But the next best thing would be something like this with note-to-track. 

There is a workaround, but then that sort of defeats the purpose of the simplicity a device such as this is to add. At that point, it would be more efficient if I just click individual 1/16 notes in the sequencer...

dvdrtldg

10 Apr 2015

I can't get velocity to work - drawing in curves does nothing, unless I reduce the velocity to zero, in which case the note is silent.

Same with the velocity knob - silent at zero, then consistent velocity everywhere else, like an on/off switch. I've gone through the manual - what am I missing here?

joeyluck

10 Apr 2015

For me note-to-track is just a goody, but pattern change is a basic requirement!
nikolafeve wrote: 100% agree!!
What do you mean by 'pattern change'?

JoshuaPhilgarlic

10 Apr 2015

For me note-to-track is just a goody, but pattern change is a basic requirement!
joeyluck wrote:
Ok, 'Pattern Select' seems to be the proper name ;) . This one...

I think this should be basic functionality for a pattern based device!
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto_2015-04-10_um_23.11.01.png
Bildschirmfoto_2015-04-10_um_23.11.01.png (15.2 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

eusti

10 Apr 2015

joeyluck wrote:
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Ok, 'Pattern Select' seems to be the proper name ;) . This one...
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:
I think this should be basic functionality for a pattern based device!
I agree. Use it all the time with OctoRex.
But I'd still love to see note to track... For when you're finished playing around and being inspired and want to shift things around either rhythmically or timing wise...

D.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

10 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:I agree. Use it all the time with OctoRex.
But I'd still love to see note to track... For when you're finished playing around and being inspired and want to shift things around either rhythmically or timing wise...

D.
Sure, note2track is cool for tweaking when the basic pattern programing is done. Even though I rarely use it I understand that people like it. But I think pattern select is a much more basic feature and I fear that Props forget this about all that calls for note2track ;) . It's cool that Step is bundled with Select, but it's still a clumsy workaround - and a waste of resources! Why use multiple Steps and Select when one single device would be sufficient - if Props finally offer this very basic feature that their stock devices provide for centuries now???

eusti

10 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:I agree. Use it all the time with OctoRex.

D.
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: Sure, note2track is cool for tweaking when the basic pattern programing is done. Even though I rarely use it I understand that people like it. But I think pattern select is a much more basic feature and I fear that Props forget this about all that calls for note2track ;) . It's cool that Step is bundled with Select, but it's still a clumsy workaround - and a waste of resources! Why use multiple Steps and Select when one single device would be sufficient - if Props finally offer this very basic feature that their stock devices provide for centuries now???
I completely agree: I want REs do be able to do the same things as stock devices can: Sample loading, REX loading, Pattern automation, note to track, etc.
I understand the want to sandbox stuff, but I want the REs to be more powerful!

D.

challism

10 Apr 2015

For you guys who want pattern select (and who doesn't, right?), I find that Select CV Switch (bundled with Step) is a good solution to this problem.  You will need multiple instances of Step to accomplish this, but it's better than nothing, yeah?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

buddard
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:I can't get velocity to work - drawing in curves does nothing, unless I reduce the velocity to zero, in which case the note is silent.

Same with the velocity knob - silent at zero, then consistent velocity everywhere else, like an on/off switch. I've gone through the manual - what am I missing here?
That sounds strange, I've never heard about this problem before... What happens when you move the Width knob, do you see the velocity bars becoming narrower/wider?

Do you have Euclid or synchronous? Can you draw in their displays?

If the problem persists, please file a support request at http://roboticbean.com/creative/support/

selig
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:I can't get velocity to work - drawing in curves does nothing, unless I reduce the velocity to zero, in which case the note is silent.

What you describe sounds exactly like you're using a patch on the receiving end that doesn't respond to volume velocity. BTW, a velocity of 0 is considered a "note off", so that's why it behaves like an on/off switch. Make sure the patch is actually velocity sensitive (or try a different patch) and you should see a difference. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

frog974new

11 Apr 2015

challism wrote:For you guys who want pattern select (and who doesn't, right?), I find that Select CV Switch (bundled with Step) is a good solution to this problem.  You will need multiple instances of Step to accomplish this, but it's better than nothing, yeah?
my 2 cents on this ;)
yep the bundle is a good solution but !!
to have flexilibity for one Re we need to by the others Re Oo

buddard
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

selig wrote:
What you describe sounds exactly like you're using a patch on the receiving end that doesn't respond to volume velocity. BTW, a velocity of 0 is considered a "note off", so that's why it behaves like an on/off switch. Make sure the patch is actually velocity sensitive (or try a different patch) and you should see a difference. :)
Ah, of course! I thought that the problem was that there was no visual feedback.  :s0959:

Thanks, Selig!

• Information