1000 Developers?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
mayzon

08 Apr 2015

Hi,

I don't usually use the props site much these since the demise of the PUF unless I'm looking for RE's. So I was surprised when I logged on just now and read this.

Quote from the Propellerhead site:

''The Propellerhead Shop currently offers more than 280 instruments, tools and effects, and we're constantly adding more – with over 1000 companies developing, the Rack Extension platform is growing every day.''

So does this mean we're soon going to have a choice of over 1000 RE's for our beloved platform? Image

Or is it the marketing department earning their coin?

Mart

jfrichards

08 Apr 2015

mayzon wrote:Hi,

I don't usually use the props site much these since the demise of the PUF unless I'm looking for RE's. So I was surprised when I logged on just now and read this.

''The Propellerhead Shop currently offers more than 280 instruments, tools and effects, and we're constantly adding more – with over 1000 companies developing, the Rack Extension platform is growing every day.''

So does this mean we're soon going to have a choice of over 1000 RE's for our beloved platform? Image

Mart
Seeing as how I signed up but ended up giving it away for free as a combinator, make that 999.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9rqujm8qtnndl ... h.cmb?dl=0

I've talked to lots of developers who haven't released anything yet.

eXode

08 Apr 2015

Mart
It's fully possible that there are 1000 registered developers, however that doesn't mean that all of them are developing something.

pbc278

08 Apr 2015

When you sign up as developer you get access to all the documentation and other stuff. After reading it, maybe a lot of dev's thought it's not for them...
Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

muffins4all

08 Apr 2015

I think it means about 80% of the people who've registered as a dev take a look at the SDK and say "to hell with this!". :D

Lizard

08 Apr 2015

You are always going to have more developers than you do product.  Makes sense when you think about it.  One has to sign up to get the materials, learn it, put your ideas into action and release it.  The only way one who develops can get the information on what is necessary is to sign up for it as well as the information is not publicly released.  I'm sure if numbers could be tracked on VST development you'd see a staggering amount of developers but how many have actually made and released a product?  Not as many as I think one would expect.  I think that statement is a cross between honest truth to serve a marketing purpose letting people know there is a decent potential for development.  I know lots of people cutting their teeth with the SDK and tools that have not released anything yet (myself being one).  It continues to grow and that is the thing I think we should be hopeful for.

selig
RE Developer

08 Apr 2015

muffins4all wrote:
I think it means about 80% of the people who've registered as a dev take a look at the SDK and say "to hell with this!". :D
Indeed, like jfrichards for example. Many folks that have signed up didn't realize how much work was involved!

Another point to note is that while there may be 1000 developers, and that not all will bring a product to market, MANY are bringing multiple products to market. 

So to answer the OPs question, yes this means there will be 1000s of RE's - eventually!

;)
Selig Audio, LLC

electrochoc (PRX-A)

08 Apr 2015

selig wrote: Indeed, like jfrichards for example. Many folks that have signed up didn't realize how much work was involved!
Considering that the number of such SDK-curious folk who won't end up releasing something might be pretty high, I find the fact that 70 out of those 1000 registered developers actually released something up to now as great news! But I'm a half-full-glass guy around here... :D
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

eXode

08 Apr 2015

electrochoc wrote:But I'm a half-full-glass guy around here... :D

;)

eXode

08 Apr 2015

I just can't help myself with this one...

:D

gak

08 Apr 2015

I'm just thankful to those who are developing. 

SteveDiverse

08 Apr 2015

electrochoc wrote:I'm a half-full-glass guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1WyFdM0DGg
:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

Jagwah

09 Apr 2015

There goes that marketing department again, backed up by die hard users who can never fault them - they may as well charge ahead regardless of any obstacle / moral standing in the way lol.

FATCheese

09 Apr 2015

eXode wrote:
eXode wrote:
;)
With that logic my car is always full with gas! :P
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

Lizard

09 Apr 2015

I don't fault a marketing department in making statements to promote their products.  As a marketing departments job is to promote using positive aspects of their items and make them attractive to others how can one vilify them and their intentions?  However the statement they provided could have possibly been worded differently and be without question 100% accurate and then there is no debate.

''The Propellerhead Shop currently offers more than 280 instruments, tools and effects, and we're continually adding more – with over 1000 registered companies, the Rack Extension platform is growing every day.''

The original statement says they are constantly adding more which may not be entirely true.  Constant notes that their is a rhythm or pattern without change.  Constant is releasing something every day, once a week, etc.  We may have weeks of nothing and then 3 in a day.  A better word would have been continually noting that there is always a follow up with more.  Factually there probably exists 1000 registered developers or company names.  Where one defines "developing" is the questionable item.  If I am registered does it mean I am developing?  Not sure on that.  Lastly "growing every day" is true marketing slogan.  It is a unmeasurable term.  Growing every day? What are we measuring by?  Every day there are new developers?  Every day a new product?  Or quite simply every day Propellerhead and developers are working on Re which I am sure is a true statement.

selig
RE Developer

09 Apr 2015

eXode wrote:
eXode wrote:
;)
FATCheese wrote:
No more than the glass is always full with water…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

09 Apr 2015

FATCheese wrote:
selig wrote:
;)
Agreed. By that logic the only thing that can be said is that you car's tank is always full.
The percentage of the contents might shift wildly though! ;)

D.

avasopht
Competition Winner

09 Apr 2015

FATCheese wrote:
selig wrote:
;)
eusti wrote:
Agreed. By that logic the only thing that can be said is that you car's tank is always full.
The percentage of the contents might shift wildly though! ;)

D.
Well all matter is enormously empty, and even what we thought was solid was also hollow. All that exists are empty fields of energy dangling in an even more lonesome cosmos in the middle of an individually empty space :'(

But in regards to developers, as has been mentioned, there's absolutely no telling who is still working on creating a product, who is waiting for a specific feature and who is no longer interested.

One platform I developed for would erase your account if you've not logged on for 6 months!!

I think though that Propellerhead had a serious marketing challenge in selling a market for rack extensions to developers while selling a sense of a rack extensions eco system to users in order to create the market for the developers to target.

Offering the pay what you want ensured most users would become candidates to the new market.

But remember that we are the vocal minority and for all we know their efforts might all be paying off. In any case, I'd never have gotten back into DSP had I not been excited by the rack extension SDK.

mayzon

10 Apr 2015

Interesting, thanks for the responses.

So it does seem like marketing spiel to a degree however, its still pretty exciting as there are potentially 100's of developers yet to join in.

Lets see what the next SDK brings :)

DOKTOR242

27 Apr 2015

I doubt that a single platform plugins get that much attention ....
1000 No thanks
give me 10 but Top Gun

normen

27 Apr 2015

selig wrote: No more than the glass is always full with water…
;)
I think he alludes to the fact that air is a gas (or rather a mixture of gases :) )

Lizard

28 Apr 2015

I had a post I wanted to post to that too.... respectfully mind you.  :)   Keeping in tone with that thread and this one I'll say that over 1000 developers have looked at the SDK/IDT package and some have decided it isn't for them.  Either by the time and work invested to get or profit sharing... whatever their choice.  Some it works for and some it doesn't.  I think the community would do better to help promote the smaller developers than trying to chase down the larger ones.  It is the small and independent developers that will promote and carry the format forward.  I don't say that because I am a small developer but only because I see they are generally the ones most enthusiastic about developing for Reason.  The more the merrier.

• Information