Noxious spring sales at -40%

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
zvork

08 Apr 2015

Until the 1st of May, Noxious Additive Wave Synthesizer is at 39€ / 49$ instead of 69€ / 79$
Welcome back sunshine!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/noxious/

tiker01

08 Apr 2015

zvork wrote:Until the 1st of May, Noxious Additive Wave Synthesizer is at 39€ / 49$ instead of 69€ / 79$
Welcome back sunshine!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/noxious/
Really tempting!!!!

Zvork or perhaps someone else could please make a new video demo of Noxious as the one in the shop is showcasing version 1.1!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

ReasonUser

08 Apr 2015

The demo sounds are really nice. I wonder why the reviews are so low.

MDTerps2015

08 Apr 2015

I wondered the same thing. Why are the reviews so low. And it does need a new demo video
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

zvork

08 Apr 2015

Requests for a new demo video seem legitimate. Will push that on the "TODO" list.

mrj1nx

08 Apr 2015

I remember trialing this ages ago, really liked the sound of it, but it crushed my cpu, just using a single patch in a song was enought to grind it to a halt. (i ended up with parsec instead which i so far has pretty much not touched but still look forward to taking the time and play around with more when time allows.) Has there been any significant optimizations?

Speaking of trialing, the trial system is pretty bad, I always end up using the trial and then not having the time to try stuff properly, and then when i actually do get the time, the trial ends... I guess theres no way to reset the trial?

Puckboy2000

08 Apr 2015

mrj1nx wrote:I remember trialing this ages ago, really liked the sound of it, but it crushed my cpu, just using a single patch in a song was enought to grind it to a halt. (i ended up with parsec instead which i so far has pretty much not touched but still look forward to taking the time and play around with more when time allows.) Has there been any significant optimizations?

Speaking of trialing, the trial system is pretty bad, I always end up using the trial and then not having the time to try stuff properly, and then when i actually do get the time, the trial ends... I guess theres no way to reset the trial?
I tried it it when it came out. I really wanted to like it but found the sounds to be just OK. Has the patch library been added to? Does anybody know of any refills that might change my mind? I would reconsider if I found out the patches were improved.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than than that" - George Carlin

jappe

08 Apr 2015

ReasonUser wrote:The demo sounds are really nice. I wonder why the reviews are so low.
If the Prop's would allow reviews, we would know.

zeebot

08 Apr 2015

Well if anyone is interested here is a track I never put forward for the Noxious competition when it was released.

All Noxious apart from drums, a piano and a twinkly pad noise from Antidote.

From memory it was a good synth but I just couldn't get on with the GUI, might give it another look seen as it has had updates :)

I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

mbfrancis

08 Apr 2015

ReasonUser wrote:The demo sounds are really nice. I wonder why the reviews are so low.
I remember when it came out I tried it, and was totally - I mean totally - underwhelmed by the presets.  Like they all sounded like mud to me.  There was a huge back/forth on the PUF between tweakers /sound designers who said the synth was actually amazing and preset people like me who just didn't see the evidence and were made to defend our reliance on presets to judge something (ha!).  At the time, I didn't leave a rating, because I clearly didn't understand the thing and didn't want to discourage people who might understand and love it from trying it, but I suspect many people who tried it rated it poorly based on the original presets.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

JoshuaPhilgarlic

08 Apr 2015

I guess 'cause those who rated didn't understand Noxious ;) . When Noxious was released it had to compete against synths like Antidote, Predator or even Polysix. People were adapted to warm analog sounds - but on the other side heard myths about the richness of additive synthesis. Noxious 1.0 was different: it sounded harsh and was only mono. And so many people had been disappointed and reviewed it poorly. Later, Props introduced Parsec. This one is easier to use with an "analog feel" (that people like) by default. So, Noxious again failed in comparison. But Zvork provided significant updates since that time - true stereo, better usability etc. ... I'm sure Noxious is the best additive synth RE in Reason, 'cause it's far more flexible than Parsec. But it still carries around the bad rating of countless people who had no clue :nono: .

eusti

08 Apr 2015

Reviews in the shop would really help!

D.

zvork

09 Apr 2015

Don't forget for those of you who trialed version 1.0 that the trial period has been reset recently. You should see that performance has been vastly improved.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

09 Apr 2015

zvork wrote:Don't forget for those of you who trialed version 1.0 that the trial period has been reset recently. You should see that performance has been vastly improved.
... something I can confirm as a long-term Noxious user who saw all the improvements it got since its first release! :)
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

selig
RE Developer

09 Apr 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: I guess 'cause those who rated didn't understand Noxious ;) . When Noxious was released it had to compete against synths like Antidote, Predator or even Polysix. People were adapted to warm analog sounds - but on the other side heard myths about the richness of additive synthesis. Noxious 1.0 was different: it sounded harsh and was only mono. And so many people had been disappointed and reviewed it poorly. Later, Props introduced Parsec. This one is easier to use with an "analog feel" (that people like) by default. So, Noxious again failed in comparison. But Zvork provided significant updates since that time - true stereo, better usability etc. ... I'm sure Noxious is the best additive synth RE in Reason, 'cause it's far more flexible than Parsec. But it still carries around the bad rating of countless people who had no clue :nono: .

I don't see Noxious as more flexible than Parsec, but that's not ultimately important to me. 

What's important is if it's INSPIRING or not! Antidote is not more flexible than Thor IMO, but it's as inspiring to me. Same with Noxious vs Parsec; with Noxious you can't layer two sounds like Parsec, you don't have as many interesting modifier types, no looping envelopes, no "scale" on it's Mod Matrix (e.g. no way to scale envelopes with velocity), only four CV ins (no direct control of the modifiers as in Parsec), etc.

Having said all that, I STILL find inspiration with this synth, in some ways more than with Parsec. 

Additional "pluses":
Two dedicated filters, up to six additional modifiers, two poly LFOs w/delay, a logically laid out interface (to me), and hours of fun!

In the end I use both, each for the different path they take me down. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

mbfrancis

09 Apr 2015

zvork wrote:Don't forget for those of you who trialed version 1.0 that the trial period has been reset recently. You should see that performance has been vastly improved.
Thank you, I appreciate this - I will absolutely try this synth again.  
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

arqui

11 Apr 2015

selig wrote: with Noxious you can't layer two sounds like Parsec
You can combine 2 Noxious with Morfing fx in a combinator. :)

Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

TheMiles

11 Apr 2015

I would greatly appreciate if the top left Partial display was dynamic. It should display the changes made by lfos and envelopes to the different modifiers.

I am not entirely sure I made my point clear, but it would be awesome to see the sounds actually move and evolve in that display.

selig
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

TheMiles wrote:I would greatly appreciate if the top left Partial display was dynamic. It should display the changes made by lfos and envelopes to the different modifiers.

I am not entirely sure I made my point clear, but it would be awesome to see the sounds actually move and evolve in that display.
+1 on this suggestion - I always expect to see it move but it doesn't. ;(
Selig Audio, LLC

tiker01

11 Apr 2015

TheMiles wrote:I would greatly appreciate if the top left Partial display was dynamic. It should display the changes made by lfos and envelopes to the different modifiers.

selig wrote:
You mean like NI's Razor?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Reasonistas
RE Developer

11 Apr 2015

Here is what Noxious sounds like (version 1) with straight up factory patches. I agree with Giles that Parsec and Noxious are both inspiring in their own ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZLTF2WjGc4
ImageImageImage

TheMiles

12 Apr 2015

selig wrote:
tiker01 wrote: You mean like NI's Razor?
Judging from the demo videos on youtube, I'd say yes.

selig
RE Developer

12 Apr 2015

selig wrote:
tiker01 wrote: You mean like NI's Razor?
Yes, but it's even simpler to explain: it when a modifier is modulated it should look exactly like it does when you turn the know manually!   :)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information