Red Rock Sound's Ivoks and C1-L1 sale! ($ 10 off!)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

User avatar
submonsterz
Posts: 975
Joined: 07 Feb 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

7 euros on ivoks
and correct 10 euros on C1-L1
:) .

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

submonsterz wrote: 7 euros on ivoks and correct 10 euros on C1-L1 :) .
True. Sorry for that. Though it's 7 EUR or  $ 10 on the Ivoks.

D.

Edit: Corrected the thread title as well.

User avatar
mrj1nx
Posts: 90
Joined: 18 Mar 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

Edit: I must have misread... :)
 

User avatar
challism
Posts: 1526
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

Already own both... and love them.  Highly recommended!

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

challism wrote:Already own both... and love them.  Highly recommended!
Have Ivoks and love it! Not so sure about the compressor... What is so special about it?
Please share, challism!

D.

User avatar
Concep
Posts: 103
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

C1-L1 is my favorite compressor in Reason for it's versatility.

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

Concep wrote:C1-L1 is my favorite compressor in Reason for it's versatility.
I do have some compressors, but have to admit that I'm not really adept at using them / comparing them... Any pointers? I guess at this point I don't need any more, with my limited knowledge and all...
;)

D.

User avatar
challism
Posts: 1526
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

challism wrote:Already own both... and love them.  Highly recommended!
eusti wrote:
Have Ivoks and love it! Not so sure about the compressor... What is so special about it?
Please share, challism!

D.
I really like the character it adds to a channel.  It is far from transparent.  For transparent, I usually go with Selig Leveler.  Anyway, if I want a more gritty sound I reach for C1L1.  I like the "mid-scoop" knob quite a bit.  I also like the "mode" knob (switches between 7 different stereo/mono combinations/variations, seems to put out a slightly different sound for each setting).  And the settings on the back are cool, too (more options... saturation on/off, limiter pre/post, dither hi/low).  It also has a filter, but I honestly can't hear it.  I think it may have something to do with the sidechain, maybe?  I don't do much sidechaining.  Anyway, I like this device, but Ivoks is easily my favorite of the 2 on sale right now.

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

challism wrote:Already own both... and love them.  Highly recommended!
eusti wrote:
Have Ivoks and love it! Not so sure about the compressor... What is so special about it?
Please share, challism!

D.
challism wrote:
I really like the character it adds to a channel.  It is far from transparent.  For transparent, I usually go with Selig Leveler.  Anyway, if I want a more gritty sound I reach for C1L1.  I like the "mid-scoop" knob quite a bit.  I also like the "mode" knob (switches between 7 different stereo/mono combinations/variations, seems to put out a slightly different sound for each setting).  And the settings on the back are cool, too (more options... saturation on/off, limiter pre/post, dither hi/low).  It also has a filter, but I honestly can't hear it.  I think it may have something to do with the sidechain, maybe?  I don't do much sidechaining.  Anyway, I like this device, but Ivoks is easily my favorite of the 2 on sale right now.
Thank you, Challism! I reviewed the videos as well and must say I'm intrigued now! :)

D.

User avatar
Concep
Posts: 103
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

Concep wrote:C1-L1 is my favorite compressor in Reason for it's versatility.
eusti wrote:
I do have some compressors, but have to admit that I'm not really adept at using them / comparing them... Any pointers? I guess at this point I don't need any more, with my limited knowledge and all...
;)

D.
I don't have many tips besides use your ears.  All compressors color the sound, but I don't really see this one as being that colored.   I like the variable knee control.  I find myself using the knee about halfway a lot.  I also the variable oversampling on the back.  This can drastically change the quality on certain tracks.  The mid scoop in nice on some things, and the limiter can be helpful when you have some fast peaks.  The mode selector, two compressor types (alpha, and sigma), dry mix, and side chain filter come in handy.  Also, on the back, you can play with different attack and release time multipliers and dividers if the standard times don't fit.  It's possible to get very fast or very slow times depending on which setting you use.

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

Thanks, Concep! Will test it!

D.

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

Anyone know how long for?

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

Unfortunately I have no idea... You could ask them on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/redrocksoundrussia?fref=ts

D.

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

I don't have facebook :frown:  

I'll DL the demo though today since I've had my eyes on it. 

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

gak wrote:I don't have facebook :frown:  

I'll DL the demo though today since I've had my eyes on it. 
Ok. I just asked on FB. Will report back when I hear something.

D.

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

This may be an insta buy :)

As some have seen I've been looking at a comp along these lines that has a special way of working. I felt immediately at home with it (yes, in this very very short period of time) and though I'll put it through more of a ringer in the next couple of hours I'm about 99% certain I want it. 

I've missed this. 

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1591
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 07 Apr 2015

I likes the C1-L1. Couldn't tell you why. I am Compressor Dilettante™.
Also big shout out to very underrated RoughRider. I love it.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Apr 2015

Thanks, Motuscott!

Will look into the RoughRider as well!

D.

User avatar
eusti
Posts: 2437
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 08 Apr 2015

Just heard back from Red Rock Sound via FB regarding my question
about how long the sale is going to be going:

"I think to the end this month."

Hope that helps!

D.

psychasm
Posts: 139
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 Apr 2015

Gonna give the compressor a try. Are there any other positive reviews regarding C1-L1 this compressor?

User avatar
challism
Posts: 1526
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 08 Apr 2015

psychasm wrote:Gonna give the compressor a try. Are there any other positive reviews regarding C1-L1 this compressor?
There were a bunch of positive reviews on the PUF before they lost their minds and deleted the entire thing.  It's a very popular compressor.  But it wasn't all love.... I've read a lot of people say they don't like the color this ads to the signal.  To each their own.  I love it.

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 08 Apr 2015

eusti wrote:Just heard back from Red Rock Sound via FB regarding my question
about how long the sale is going to be going:

"I think to the end this month."

Hope that helps!

D.
Thanks!

User avatar
gak
Posts: 2840
Joined: 05 Feb 2015

Post 08 Apr 2015

psychasm wrote:Gonna give the compressor a try. Are there any other positive reviews regarding C1-L1 this compressor?
challism wrote:
There were a bunch of positive reviews on the PUF before they lost their minds and deleted the entire thing.  It's a very popular compressor.  But it wasn't all love.... I've read a lot of people say they don't like the color this ads to the signal.  To each their own.  I love it.
Yeah, it's it's own beast. I'm way into flavor comps. One thing that I'm diggin' that you wouldn't normally think of with a comp is to put it at the end of a guitar group and the use the "mid scoop" for flavor. 

But it's really easy to lift loops/parts where the hats/cymbals are to buried and help bring them up. The SSL doesn't seem to do this very well imho w/o drastically changing the snare/kick sound.

User avatar
Prints
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 09 Apr 2015

I'm interested in IVOKs, but I can barely find any demos or reviews of it. There are no good demos of it, and the few reviews that do exist are very sparse. Can anyone post a good demo, running through all the presets. I'd like to get a better idea of the synth's range, and how the bandpass filter sounds. I would demo it, but my internet at home is temporarily down until I get a new router.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 6 guests