RE compressors

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
gak

01 Apr 2015

Ok. So the thing I really feel I'm missing right now is a squishy/snare snap/effect comp (for guitars ala police type thing) in reason. I wouldn't mind having something capable of really nice parallel options to the SSL if you want something other than a worktool comp. I was hoping to wait another month before demoing anything but I'm feeling the pressure (pun?) to get this squared away in the next couple of weeks.

In my hunt, there are two that I feel might work for me, but I only want to demo one (otherwise I'd just have hit the demo and find out for myself)

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... ompressor/

Obviously I'd rather have the C1 ;) But what I don't know is if there are any known issues with it because I don't want to waste a 30 demo on something that has issues (like unbelievable cpu use or known bugs)

I don't think anything else I looked at would fit the bill, but if I missed one, feel free to point it out.

Thanks

selig
RE Developer

01 Apr 2015

gak wrote:Ok. So the thing I really feel I'm missing right now is a squishy/snare snap/effect comp (for guitars ala police type thing) in reason. I wouldn't mind having something capable of really nice parallel options to the SSL if you want something other than a worktool comp. I was hoping to wait another month before demoing anything but I'm feeling the pressure (pun?) to get this squared away in the next couple of weeks.

In my hunt, there are two that I feel might work for me, but I only want to demo one (otherwise I'd just have hit the demo and find out for myself)

Obviously I'd rather have the C1 ;) But what I don't know is if there are any known issues with it because I don't want to waste a 30 demo on something that has issues (like unbelievable cpu use or known bugs)

I don't think anything else I looked at would fit the bill, but if I missed one, feel free to point it out.

Thanks
I've gotta say that if there's on thing the SSL channel compressors are good at, it's this. It's my go-to drum compressor, possibly adding the FET to the bus. But for individual drums and adding "snap", there's nothing better IMO.

As an aside, I would think squishy and snappy would be almost opposite qualities. For me, an LA-2a is "squishy" and an 1176 "snappy". Words are just words in the end…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Last Alternative

01 Apr 2015

When in doubt I reach for Kong's transient shaper. God do I wish that was a half-rack device! It really makes things pop.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

gak

01 Apr 2015

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I should rethink my wording. But hey, if there is something I'm doing wrong and need to dig into the SSL better, then I'm ALL FOR saving cash! :D  

Is there anything about the Red Rock that is a "red flag?"

MDTerps2015

01 Apr 2015

gak wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I should rethink my wording. But hey, if there is something I'm doing wrong and need to dig into the SSL better, then I'm ALL FOR saving cash! :D  

Is there anything about the Red Rock that is a "red flag?"
I have the red rock dynamics compressor. It does use a little cpu  but i use it in my mastering chain. It works pretty good but lately i have been using cl 1 sigma compressor which i was pretty impressed with. I have the dcam's compressors the channel and the bus and those are a little harsh if you push them. 

150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

clone

01 Apr 2015

Question, 

Do you guys use multiple compressors? If you use the SSL , do you also use other in the tracks and master busses? 

Tincture

01 Apr 2015

You should try quite a few out, then come back to the MClass with slow attack @35-55ms and quick release at 180-320ms and see how their "snap" compares. I love my RE comps but apart from the very quick attack, the MCLass can do a lot.

pathammy

02 Apr 2015

If FET is one that's on your list, you should also have a listen to the DCAM ChanComp:

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/dcam-chancomp/

It's also modeled after an 1176 (right??) but for much less money than the Softube RE.

FWIW, I don't think there's a drum channel in any of the projects I've worked on recently that's not using the FET RE.  That thing rules, and is my favorite on drums.  Definitely my favorite RE.

gak

02 Apr 2015

Thanks for all the suggestions.

moofi

02 Apr 2015

I often use multiple compressors in a row. E.g. one for taming the greatest spikes and a second one for "standard" compression once the levels are closer together. Aswell using multiple compressors with softer settings in a row for shaping transients + colouring.

Btw I can recommend CL-1, especially pricewise compared to other solutions. Pretty versatile with a pleasant sound. :thumbup:
clone wrote:Question, 

Do you guys use multiple compressors? If you use the SSL , do you also use other in the tracks and master busses? 

selig
RE Developer

02 Apr 2015

moofi wrote:I often use multiple compressors in a row. E.g. one for taming the greatest spikes and a second one for "standard" compression once the levels are closer together. Aswell using multiple compressors with softer settings in a row for shaping transients + colouring.

Btw I can recommend CL-1, especially pricewise compared to other solutions. Pretty versatile with a pleasant sound. :thumbup:
clone wrote:Question, 

That's what's called "serial compression". It's actually been going on for as long as multitrack recording, if you consider that you would often compress going in and in the mix, giving you a serial compression result. It's less often employed when tracking, especially on larger sessions as all compressors are typically tied up already. But for overdubs, say vocals in particular, this is done and has been done since at least the 70s! The classic way is to use an LA-2a into an 1176, or two LA-2a, one with the "limit" switch and one without.

Speaking of which…
One of my favorite obscure compressors, the BL-40 Modulimiter by URIE, essential does just this! It's often found being used on rock/pop vocals in my experience.
BL-40 Modulimiter
Looking for a good deal on a vintage 1176 or maybe a vintage LA-3A? Look no further than the BL-40-it's both! Designed for AM-Radio broadcast use, the BL-40's original function was to "...eliminate unwanted overmodulation in radio transmission without clipping. The BL-40 also features a 'phase optimizer,' which automatically maintains the most favorable signal polarity reversing phase whenever negative peaks exceed positive peaks..."
The BL-40 uses optical compression on the first stage of gain reduction by way of the tried-and-true T4, the same one found in the LA-2A and LA-3A. This functions as the RMS detector. The next gain-reduction stage is the classic FET gain reduction of the 1176 and functions as the peak detector. I think the coolest thing about the BL-40 is that you get metering for RMS, Peak and Output levels. The most annoying thing about it is that all the controls require a mini-screwdriver hidden behind a security panel. Remember, this is a broadcast compressor-don't touch those dials!
[http://www.uaudio.com/blog/urei-obscureities/]

Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

03 Apr 2015

I use serial compression sometimes for guitars. getting a totally squashed (hello Pulveriser) sound while staying clean at the same time. I always need to fix that sharp attack of the guitar with one compress and use the second one to make the sustain longer. you can do that with Pulveriser and MClass or anything else which is inlcuded with Reason really.

gak

03 Apr 2015

I think the thing I'll have to do is go into the demos. However, after watching vids I think I'll just do the FET demo. I have a feeling that even though it's really too much money, it's exactly what I'm looking for. 

Concep

03 Apr 2015

I have both FET and C1-L1, and I have to say they are both great.  C1-L1 is my favorite because it is very versatile and can dial in a very wide range of compression.  FET has a really nice distortion to it, and the All mode is really awesome on drums.  It is also very fast attack, so it's great at catching peaks.  I would recommend waiting for a sale for FET, as it usually goes on sale about twice a year.

gak

03 Apr 2015

Concep wrote:I have both FET and C1-L1, and I have to say they are both great.  C1-L1 is my favorite because it is very versatile and can dial in a very wide range of compression.  FET has a really nice distortion to it, and the All mode is really awesome on drums.  It is also very fast attack, so it's great at catching peaks.  I would recommend waiting for a sale for FET, as it usually goes on sale about twice a year.
Anything about either one that is a bug problem or excessive cpu use? 

hydlide

03 Apr 2015

I personally (notice the word personally) like to use the FET compressor. The SSL compressors have a nice touch, but when it comes to parallel compression I personally (there is that word again) like to use the FET compressor over the SSL mixer.

Compressors are in different flavors, just like ice cream and I know that some people won't agree with me.

That is one of the reasons why I am emphasizing the word personally in this reply.

gak

03 Apr 2015

Yeah, for general purposes the SSL is more than adequate. I'm looking to go further. That "shmoooshy" snare, those baked drum buses, that andy summers guitar.

Not really needing it for bass.

dvdrtldg

04 Apr 2015

hydlide wrote:I personally (notice the word personally) like to use the FET compressor. The SSL compressors have a nice touch, but when it comes to parallel compression I personally (there is that word again) like to use the FET compressor over the SSL mixer.

Compressors are in different flavors, just like ice cream and I know that some people won't agree with me.

That is one of the reasons why I am emphasizing the word personally in this reply.
I'm getting the strong impression that this is a personal opinion

Tincture

04 Apr 2015

Yes, that is true. But please only take it in the context that it was meant. That is, a personal one. Other than personally I don't think it should be taken too much outside of a personal context, personally.

gak

04 Apr 2015

:sneaky:  at you last two :D  

Understand. I don't want to eat up RE demos unless it's absolutely necessary. So I'm fishing for info (we need a fishing smiley) 

Tincture

04 Apr 2015

Yup, Try them all... I have a LOT of them... try them on drums, bass, synths & whatever instruments you use. Try them with slow attack (& fast release) for punch, try them with max. attack for bludgeoning... just try them. No-one can decide for you. My most used are: Selig Leveler; DCAM Bus; RE-2A; FET; C670; DQ; MClass; C1-L1; Roughrider

raymondh

04 Apr 2015

I would highly recommend trialing Softube Dynamite.

"Snap" is it's middle name :)

Tincture

04 Apr 2015

The MClass is good but it can't:
Do the upwards compression of Selig's Leveler;
Match the opto response of the RE-2A;
Match the attack time of the FET;
maybe it could be made to match the DCAM Bus Comp but I love that thing at ~50% wet on drums...

So TRY those 4 at least :)

tronam

04 Apr 2015

FET
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

gak

04 Apr 2015

@Dynamite: That's for another time :)

@The others mentioned by tincture: Yeah, I can certainly see myself in that boat someday, but for now, I'm thinking the "attack" of FET is ace. I got the leveler on sale (even though it wasn't a priority) 

I'd LOVE to spend 29 bones on the dcam bus comp! That would be ACE in the extreme, but I'm not just looking for a bus comp. I'm looking for smaka rama. For twangy gooy, goodness. For "that" comp that isn't available in reason "included" .... 

Again, I'm nervous about simple demoing in an a/b environment because if for any reason (no pun intended) that I might want to revisit something.......I can't :frown:

• Information