What about IDT (= Instrument Development Kit) ?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
JoshuaPhilgarlic

23 Mar 2015

I know these new sample-based REs like Republik, Meteora and the Combo Organs are made with the "Instrument Development Kit". As far as I understand IDT provides to create REs without deeper knowledge of coding. But how should I as a humble costumer imagine that? Is it some kind of model kit where developers stick their building blocks together? What kind are the filters for instance? Those of Thor? Can devs influence the sound of those, or are those filters just provided as is??

Is there a satisfying answer not violating NDA :roll: ???

Benedict
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2015

One should not talk about Fight Club ;)

That said things are not quite the same as Synth Edit or one of those visual Lego environments. There is still a fair bit of a learning curve before you can make a simple synth.

From what I could tell (which is nothing) the Filters etc are stock devices and probably more in line with the NN types - but as you can see already there are more types + fx.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

CharlyCharlzz

23 Mar 2015

I will say what they all sayed to me , get the sdk and see from yourself .
I did not , if I ever do anything like this one day maybe I just fallow props path and make something newer , ready for the futur ............... or just make the futur :D
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

submonsterz

24 Mar 2015

Best to just copy paste and highlight the bits people want to see :) .

Propellerhead Releases Instrument Development Toolkit for Rack Extensions

Sample library producers can now easily create instruments, no coding experience required

Stockholm, Sweden, August 29, 2014 – Propellerhead today announced that the new Instrument Development Toolkit (IDT) for Rack Extensions is now available, making it easy for sample library producers and instrument designers to build and sell Rack Extensions for the award-winning Reason platform. The new toolkit enables developers to create stunning instruments and bring them to market with minimum effort and maximum support.
“We created the Propellerhead Rack Extension plug-in platform to enable developers to go from initial idea to completed selling product faster and easier,” stated Mats Karlöf, Manager Third Party Developer Relations. “Now, with the Instrument Development Toolkit, it's easy to build powerful Rack Extension instruments for Reason, even without prior coding experience. The recently released A-List series and Jiggery Pokery instruments demonstrate that developers can easily create Rack Extensions that sound incredible and work flawlessly within Reason.”
Since its release in 2012, Propellerhead’s Rack Extension (RE) platform has emerged as a powerful audio plug-in format, with over 800 active developers and nearly 250 instruments and effects now available via the Propellerhead online store. Rack Extensions integrate seamlessly into the Reason rack, combining excellent sound, smooth workflows, and rock-solid stability with the intuitive routing, automation, deep editing, and flexibility that Reason users expect. Propellerhead’s online store manages all trials, sales, distribution, updates and license management of all RE’s, serving as a single point of contact for every Reason user.
The new Instrument Development Toolkit makes it possible for developers to easily build professional sample-based instruments without writing C++ code. Current Kontakt and NN-XT instrument designers can import their libraries into IDT, greatly accelerating the process of developing instruments. IDT’s vast built-in effect library, full-featured sampler engine, flexibility and powerful scripting language facilitate the creation of one-of-a-kind instruments.
The Instrument Development Toolkit is now available for download and immediate development. Developers can sign-up now at Propellerhead’s website: www.propellerheads.se/developer
Further Information: www.propellerheads.se
Visit the Rack Extension store: shop.propellerheads.se

Ocean of Waves

24 Mar 2015

It isn't that easy, I'll tell you that

Kategra

24 Mar 2015

It's easy. Why would Propellerhead say it, if it wasn't true?

pbc278

24 Mar 2015

Kategra wrote:It's easy. Why would Propellerhead say it, if it wasn't true?
Did you make an IDT device? Are you talking from your own experiance ;-)

Props better rewrite that piece... It's not extremely complicated, but it takes a lot of skill in different areas (scripting, design, some coding, sampling, looping samples, marketing). And you'll have to learn to talk "IDT".
It took me 4 months to learn IDT and build (http://www.reasontalk.com/post/show_sin ... tcount=136).
I would say (and my wife and kids too), I spent about 800-1000 hours creating my Mixfood Orange (sample-based synth) IDT device.
And I'm an allround IT-guy with some programming skills (jquery, html, php, java), design skills (photo-video-audio editing) and currently studying Marketing...

So if you have some spare time, or a team of people who can spare some time and skill.... 

Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

JoshuaPhilgarlic

24 Mar 2015

They said the same about RE making, but devs seem to have a different experience ;) .

Goan

24 Mar 2015

submonsterz wrote:IDT’s vast built-in effect library, full-featured sampler engine, flexibility and powerful scripting language facilitate the creation of one-of-a-kind instruments.
While the whole IDT thing is not mindblowing, i do feel very offended that we don't get to use these features in reason. We've been requesting a better sampler for years, now it's there, but behind walls, not for us. 
Goan doesn't do Goa, he likes samples, weirdness, beats
Tools of choice: Reason, iPad, MicroBrute
Listen: http://adamagon.bandcamp.com/album/the- ... e-remix-ep

Faastwalker

24 Mar 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:It isn't that easy, I'll tell you that
Struggling with the whole concept here. Especially the GUI bit. Bit of more than can be chown!!

Like anything I guess it's extremely easy if you know exactly what you are doing, very difficult if you don't know WTF you are doing!

Lizard

24 Mar 2015

Yeah.... If more could be said then all questions could be easily answered and people might understand what exactly IDT is.  But it can't... not here right?  I will add to what a few of the IDT developers have stated and first off agree that it is NOT easy to make an IDT.  It probably should be..... or maybe will be... but it is new.  It wants to be likened to refill development but it is way beyond that.  It is way far beyond creating a refill and "click...click" we've made a Re.  Gather what all other Re developers have said about making an Re and ask yourself "what did they find most challenging?"  Was it the C++ programming they already knew?  Many or most of those challenges they did face are still present with IDT.  Here are some skills you will have to possess if you wanted to develop an IDT Re :

1.  Can You Sample ?  -  The rudimentary level of an IDT Re.  Are you able to record/trim&crop/set loop points/group samples/map to keys and generaly assemble as you would in a NN-XT device?  Many do it but I know many who can not.  It is a cumbersome task in itself to do this for say 1000 samples.  Time intensive to those who have done it.  And at the end of it all you can publish it and claim the same profit margin as you would with an IDT Re.  Moving on.....

2.  Can you draw with a computer program?  Are you good with photo editing programs like Photoshop?  You are going to need one.  As you can expect developing a GUI will require some skill in creating and developing images.  Attractive GUI's are not given by Propellerhead.  They are designed by the developer.  Choosing colors and such is a skill.  One that many people get beat up on at release time.

3.  Do you have a basic understanding of 3D concepts?  You do not need to know how to make 3D objects but do you understand how things may be manipulated in 3D space.  Where are things on the X, Y and Z plane.  What is their orientation in relation to that?  What are their relative size to other objects in the same plane? 

4.  Have you ever been exposed to scripting of any kind before?  Any experience with programs like BASIC or visual basic?  Kontakt sample player perhaps?  Are you bothered by math?  X = (LFO_Rate * SCALE) / 100.  If/Then?  Case/Else?  Are you familiar with what a subroutine is or a function?  There is more to it than that but these are the basics that most scripting has.  You gotta know that and then the stuff specific to IDT.

5.  Developing an Re whether it be in IDT or within C++ is not confined to one program.  I think many people want to in their mind group it that way but it isn't.  Off the cuff I could in my head 6 programs either provided by Propellerhead or one's you have to bring to the table for design.  It is because of this simple fact that as much as it would be nice to see made available to all within Reason itself is very unlikely to happen.  There can be a lot of errors in any type of programming/scripting.  Things don't work as you want.  Frustration!!!  I would expect this not be one of the tings Propellerhead wants to be known for with their Flagship product. 

Many of the people do it because it interests them.  I'm trying it because it interests me.  I have fun creating stuff as I suspect most of the other developers too.  The time I've put into what I've been creating I'll never get back if you set a dollar value to a per/hour.  I'd get a way better return if I put that time towards my real job that's for sure.

I'll say over and over and over in posts.... applying is free.  You do not have to have a company to program... only to sell in the market.  If you apply and get accepted you can see all that it has to offer and read the documentation.  Then it can be judged for yourself if it is easy or not.  For some it is.  For me it is not.

submonsterz

24 Mar 2015

maybe I shouldn't post that here bad idea removed sorry

Ocean of Waves

24 Mar 2015

Ocean of Waves wrote:It isn't that easy, I'll tell you that
Faastwalker wrote:
Struggling with the whole concept here. Especially the GUI bit. Bit of more than can be chown!!

Like anything I guess it's extremely easy if you know exactly what you are doing, very difficult if you don't know WTF you are doing!
If you need someone who has been there you can always hook me up on Facebook or PM  ;)

• Information