Soundtoys Little AlterBoy as a Rack Extension? Yes please!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

22 Mar 2015

I realize we have Neptune, but Little AlterBoy is incredibly simple to use and sounds incredible.  Anyone else like to have this as a Rack Extension?

If you're on Twitter, please favorite this and share it:

https://twitter.com/dylanleeday/status/ ... 0765032448

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt8pFK6fJk4
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

22 Mar 2015

Done! :)

D.

EnochLight

22 Mar 2015

eusti wrote:Done! :)

D.
Cool - thanks!  That said, back in September 2013 they officially stated that they do not have the resources to support RE's.   :frown:  Hopefully they'll change their minds someday if we show enough interest..

http://support.soundtoys.com/customer/p ... xtensions-
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

eusti

22 Mar 2015

Oh well... We can still hope!

D.

FATCheese

22 Mar 2015

A little retweet never hurts!

:s0801:
Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/realfatcheese

And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !

Hell yeah E., you're a "cheesius".

SebAudio

22 Mar 2015

Hopefuly we have Neptune !

EnochLight

23 Mar 2015

SebAudio wrote:Hopefuly we have Neptune !
Hopefully?  Not sure what you mean.  Every user has Neptune, so no need to hope at all.  That said, while they have similar features that do cross over a bit, Little AlterBoy and Neptune are completely different.  Not to mention, the pitch shifting algorithm of AlterBoy seems to be as good - if not better - than Neptune's.  

Little AlterBoy isn't meant to be used to completely correct and perform a vocal performance like Neptune's primary function, though.

eusti

23 Mar 2015

EnochLight wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Hopefully?
EnochLight wrote:  Not sure what you mean.  Every user has Neptune, so no need to hope at all.  That said, while they have similar features that do cross over a bit, Little AlterBoy and Neptune are completely different.  Not to mention, the pitch shifting algorithm of AlterBoy seems to be as good - if not better - than Neptune's.  

Little AlterBoy isn't meant to be used to completely correct and perform a vocal performance like Neptune's primary function, though.
Maybe that was supposed to be "thankfully"?

D.

EnochLight

23 Mar 2015

eusti wrote:Maybe that was supposed to be "thankfully"?

D.
D'oh!  Good point.   ;)  Though, their differences still stand IMHO.  

eusti

23 Mar 2015

eusti wrote:Maybe that was supposed to be "thankfully"?

D.
EnochLight wrote:
D'oh!  Good point.   ;)  Though, their differences still stand IMHO.  
Oh, I definitely agree on the different uses and purposes for those devices!

D.

selig
RE Developer

23 Mar 2015

EnochLight wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Hopefully?
EnochLight wrote:  Not sure what you mean.  Every user has Neptune, so no need to hope at all.  That said, while they have similar features that do cross over a bit, Little AlterBoy and Neptune are completely different.  Not to mention, the pitch shifting algorithm of AlterBoy seems to be as good - if not better - than Neptune's.  

Should be comparing Polar here IMO…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Juan Rosa

24 Mar 2015

Nice device! but soundtoys say no to RE format. :P

popp

24 Mar 2015

Nonetheless, grab it while its still free, the offer runs out in a few days... Here's my sharing link: https://www.soundtoys.com/sxsw2015/&rc=268-0007-677
Super Dabbler

dconana

24 Mar 2015

I've picked up at least one other SoundToys plugin for free. Little Primal Tap, and there have been other giveaways in the past. I don't generally use another DAW but its nice to grab these FX just incase I need something in Logic or Studio One.

SoundToys are pretty damn cool. They would be even cooler if they started making Rack Extensions  :thumbup:

motuscott

24 Mar 2015

Soundtoys freebies rock, though I rarely visit AUland.
I've collected them all.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EnochLight

24 Mar 2015

selig wrote: Should be comparing Polar here IMO…
;)
Yes, that too!   ;)

pjeudy

28 Mar 2015

Juan Rosa wrote:Nice device! but soundtoys say no to RE format. :P

I'n beginning to think that it's not the RE format alone that these dev's have with Propellerhead ..but it's also Propellerhead asking them for 30%  for a new format. Doesn't Propellerheads needs developers on board to make there format succeed,more then these developers need Propellerhead's RE format?
Question do these VST plugin pay  royalties to Steinberg? If so how much?

This is an email from a developer I asked about porting his device to the REASON format Not too long ago:
thanks for your interest!

Even Propellerheads themselfes asked me to port to Rack Ext. about two years ago.

But after a first look at their software developement kit (1) I decided to turn my back on them ;)
Though maybe a bit of this offending stuff has changed with SDK 2.0 I still don't think that I'm willing to pay for their market place ... after re-writing half of the code for a very unnecessary additional plug-in interface.

Creativity already suffers enough by spending 90% of your time to port to AU/VST2/VST3/AAX.

Please tell me if I'm wrong and
1) porting to Rack Extension can be done by a simple wrapper in between
2) I can sell the plug-in from my web-page

else better ask the P.Heads to support one of the major interfaces :)
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

EnochLight

28 Mar 2015

pjeudy wrote:
I'n beginning to think that it's not the RE format alone that these dev's have with Propellerhead ..but it's also Propellerhead asking them for 30%  for a new format. Doesn't Propellerheads needs developers on board to make there format succeed,more then these developers need Propellerhead's RE format?

This is an email from a developer I asked about porting his device to the REASON format Not too long ago:

Even Propellerheads themselfes asked me to port to Rack Ext. about two years ago.

But after a first look at their software developement kit (1) I decided to turn my back on them ;)
Though maybe a bit of this offending stuff has changed with SDK 2.0 I still don't think that I'm willing to pay for their market place ... after re-writing half of the code for a very unnecessary additional plug-in interface.

Creativity already suffers enough by spending 90% of your time to port to AU/VST2/VST3/AAX.

pjeudy wrote:

I'm certain that dev isn't alone. It's well known than Sean from Vahalla DSP had that exact same response when RE's first came out, and his attitude doesn't seem to have changed last I checked. There was a whole KVR thread about it years ago.

That said, in the grande scheme of things 30% doesn't feel like much to have access to a brand new market that one would otherwise not have any access to directly. And the feedback from dev's who have ported regarding the virtually zero need for tech support and future-proofing seems like a win-win.

But... then there's devs like Togu Audio who won't port just because they don't want to have to mess with VAT or registering their company officially, etc. Wacky!

pjeudy

28 Mar 2015

pjeudy wrote:

pjeudy wrote:
EnochLight wrote: I'm certain that dev isn't alone. It's well known than Sean from Vahalla DSP had that exact same response when RE's first came out, and his attitude doesn't seem to have changed last I checked. There was a whole KVR thread about it years ago. That said, in the grande scheme of things 30% doesn't feel like much to have access to a brand new market that one would otherwise not have any access to directly. And the feedback from dev's who have ported regarding the virtually zero need for tech support and future-proofing seems like a win-win. But... then there's devs like Togu Audio who won't port just because they don't want to have to mess with VAT or registering their company officially, etc. Wacky!
Well I'm not Mr technical..but this was my response to Him:

Hello thanks for writing back...I understand your point 100% :-)
Incase you reconsider, keep in mind that:
1. Reason Rack Extension format is the only one not in the black market!
Which means for all your hard work, every device sold (not stolen) is guaranteed money for the developer!!! Sure they want a percentage, but again the format is secured !! Your plugin is out there in the wild... and that's not cool!
2.unlike Vst/AAX ...once your code is in place, you will "never have to worry about updating" your device simply to keep up with the OS/OSX ..which should leave you complete piece of mind and even allow you to focus on other devices you might have plans for :-)
3.i understand that the UI might be kind of scary... With the perfect simplicity of your device I'm sure that you could come up with a cool UI using there default development tools!
If you have the time,Take a look at there SDK 2.0 .there are many, many developers that you could ask questions in a forum : Reasontalk.com
I don't work for that site, but I do post there under my producer name "pjeudy"
Like I said I understand your point about propelleheads % cut, but is there a way it balances out for you?  they handle all operating systems update/upgrades isn't that worth something in dollars and time for you? Unlike VST/AAX.
Take another at point 2 above!
Thanks. :-)

P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

frog974new

28 Mar 2015

or may be they don't want to align their price to the creative Re fx on the shop .
each Vst/au from Soundtoys is above 200$ ...

ahs

28 Mar 2015

ILOK is  a no go for me

pjeudy

28 Mar 2015

frog974new wrote:or may be they don't want to align their price to the creative Re fx on the shop .
each Vst/au from Soundtoys is above 200$ ...
But to me the thing with those prices is that Soundtoys has proven themselves to be of top quality! People from the Rack Extension world all have seen there favorite Producer/engineer using that Plugin in countless Real world Music...!

But the problem we in the REASON sphere will have to deal with is slightly higher prices because developers will always feel like there is extra work resources to re-creating there device to the RE format. 
Even if they decide to build a device from scratch just for REASON...they will have deal with spending money to research and develop it, and then dealing with a smaller market! and loads of people criticizing anything in REASON that's not within there own personal Budget.

pjeudy

28 Mar 2015

ahs wrote:ILOK is  a no go for me
What iLock ?

frog974new

28 Mar 2015

pjeudy wrote: What iLock ?
all products from Soundtoys need a iLock key :frown:
they proced like as other Dev. , need register on their site and also to the Ilock.com ->> a bit boring

EnochLight

28 Mar 2015

iLok is very similar to the Codemeter that Reason uses (you can install the iLok service and authorize your computer, no hardware dongle needed).

• Information