AD 480 Reverb is in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Theo.M

25 Jun 2015

I have no idea how i missed this reverb till now..

I am gushing a bit here.. for me this has dethroned all other RE verbs... It uses much less cpu than Softube, a little less even than the latest optimised RP update.. and it sounds better to me than both (sorry Rob and Softube). it's situations like this that would make RE resale so worthwhile, as i honestly don't see myself going to the others anymore when I finally buy this.

First my only 2 complaints.. well more like FR's.. Since this is based on a 480 i would have liked to see true to lex form bass and treble *multipliers*. Once you get used to adjusting reverb that way it is rather fantastic and unique and totally different to just cutting EQ. I wonder if a future update could add a switch on the back to allow one to choose behaviour so as not to break any compatibility.
Second request would be a longer pre delay with tempo sync.. I am really into reverbing a short verb as a delay using pre delay rather than a delay in some cases these days.. I used to do it in logic a lot as it had up to 1 second (i used to use a delay calc to work out the exact ms), but i suppose i could still use softube for that (but i find it so hard on my poor cpu).

Now the good - this one is really able to fit into any mix.. In fact this is where it has the huge advantage over softube as it has much better EQ options. Furthermore it doesn't have that nasty mid range twang and seems to work on any type of sound - vocal/drum/synth/strings/guitar  - it's awesome basically.

Now RP is a very good verb, i won't take anything away from it as it was a benchmark for it's time (remember in other formats it's been around for years) and it has a bunch of amazing presets for those who do like to start with a verb preset (not me). I also like how Jon was able to squeeze another 35% performance out of it.
But it's also a reverb with seemingly endless options and can seem a little intimidating, and it always requires going through every style on every sound to find the best result. I also prefer the way the ratio of size and length interacts on 480 to RP (which is a little odd in that department IMO).

Softube still sounds good too but it has that small but annoying (imo) latency, and the only place it can really be used properly to make fit in a mix is on a send so one can EQ it, and then the latency compensation layout gets tricky. It also has the highest cpu of all the commercial verbs.

480 is light comparatively on cpu, and has zero latency - so it is useful as an insert or send - if used as an insert it's very easy to make it fix due to it's frequency and amount of EQ selection as well as a general high frequency damp. It also sounds really lush and without grain which i love, like a lex.
It really seems to be able to made to fit in any situation whatsoever with minimal tweaking.. this is the big thing about it and what makes it so rockin'. it's friendly but still very tweak-able and powerful. It can sound really rich or just as subtle blending ambience.. all of this makes it a winner in my book.
Softube does still give me lighting fast results on drums though, i will give it that, but I think this is going to be my absolute new go to.

PS someone wrote the other day they wanted a real quality verb like valhalla in reason  - well, look no further, this is a real quality verb (and valhalla plugins will never appear in this lifetime as an RE as the dev has made that clear - and once again, for me, they have too many algorithms to choose from, sometimes too much of a good thing is just that - too much).

• Information