Mixfood Orange Rack Extension coming soon

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Gaja

16 Mar 2015

DiZo wrote:your LFo is trigged and its an env. see on malstrom
Kind of. I understand it's like any normal LFO but with the possibility to make it stop after one cycle instead of repeating it to infinity.
Thanks for looking into the colouring. I care more about sound though than I care about knob colours, so my decision to purchase this hting will not depend on whether or not the knobs are orange or copper or grey, but on whether or not I'm inspired by sound and layout to create nice sounds. The sound doesn't need to be unique for me, if it's easier for me to get there.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2015

lowprio wrote:
selig wrote: Don't compromise!!! ;)

I'm confused why only one oscillator is orange - if this isn't being used to indicate "something" then it's just random IMO. I still like the one with orange knobs the best. It allows you to keep the identity of the name but not overwhelm the user with other colors or without leaving the color orange out completely. 
lowprio wrote:  
I think the orange oscillator 2 is a great way to quickly differentiate the 3 different sections of the synth. When all the oscillators are the same color, it's hard to kinda pull it apart and separate them. Maybe it would be better if oscillator 2 was orange, and oscillator 3 was like a darker, charcoal color? 3 separate colors for the 3 separate oscillators!

either way, I'm sure all of this feedback is overwhelming. we all clearly have different tastes, so you aren't gonna please everyone! this was a great conversation, but now just lock something down and move on, I'd say.

But all the oscillators are NOT the same color as you suggest - the background of each is different making it very easy to see the sections at a glance. Are we talking about the same render here?

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

pbc278

16 Mar 2015

About the color, I have a good idea what everybody wants, so now I'll just pick what I think is right  ;)
About the one shot LFO: it's not something that is part of the IDT toolkit. So Maybe there's a creative way to build it into the machine.

Thanks everybody for your comments. I liked it a lot to discuss it on ReasonTalk, after all I am creating a consumer-product.
Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

Majestik Monkey

16 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote:In Reason it looks like this:

Yehhhhh i like this ... very easy to look at ' I wish they would change that freakin Name ! its a Synth Not a BLENDER ;)  

pbc278

16 Mar 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote: Yehhhhh i like this ... very easy to look at ' I wish they would change that freakin Name ! its a Synth Not a BLENDER ;)  
Well, are you an animal ;-)

The name is based on my music company's name. Mixfood Music. (I make only remixes to be played in Radio non-stop mixes).
A second explanation is that this device is a waveform-mixer. You create sounds by layering (mixing) waveforms... And therfore I think it's also a blender  :crazy:

Also "Orange" is because I'm Dutch, and our national color is Orange... "Made in Holland" so to speak. The number 1 DJ country (in dance music I mean). 

I'm very happy with it. Also "Mixfood Orange" can be pronounced good all over the world.

Good enough?
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote:About the color, I have a good idea what everybody wants, so now I'll just pick what I think is right  ;)
That's the spirit! :)

It's awesome that you have been open to suggestions. Anything I posted was just to convey some general ideas for you to possibly work with...

Clearly, someone like myself with 20 different suggestions would be happy with it looking any of the 40 different ways.

I wasn't expecting you to turn around with so many new renders. Folks will remember that. Regardless if it is the look they prefer, they will understand you as a dev that seeks to appease the masses. And you can't please everybody, but it's the thought that counts! 

It is a consumer product, but it is your baby. Follow your gut!

pbc278

16 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote:About the color, I have a good idea what everybody wants, so now I'll just pick what I think is right  ;)
joeyluck wrote:
That's the spirit! :)

It's awesome that you have been open to suggestions. Anything I posted was just to convey some general ideas for you to possibly work with...

Clearly, someone like myself with 20 different suggestions would be happy with it looking any of the 40 different ways.

I wasn't expecting you to turn around with so many new renders. Folks will remember that. Regardless if it is the look they prefer, they will understand you as a dev that seeks to appease the masses. And you can't please everybody, but it's the thought that counts! 

It is a consumer product, but it is your baby. Follow your gut!

Yeah, my baby. I've had her for 4 months now... And look how she's grown ;-)... She's about to be born soon (I hope ;-).
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

Grinder One

16 Mar 2015

Yep, you're the man behind the wheel Bou and you have to have the last say. As someone said earlier, we all have slightly different taste and changing one thing to suit one person, will not suit the next person. It's been a great thead and I'm positive that Orange has benefited as a result. But of course, you could tweak forever and there comes a time(just like with music), where you have to call it finished.....or at least, finished for now :)

Someone said that it's the sound that's important and of course, that's true...the sound is the most important thing but, I like to have the best of both worlds...I like my cars to be fast but, I also like my cars to look sexy. Then there's ease of use or specifically, the pleasure in using something. I can get a lot more creative when a device is a joy to work with and that's why layout is important to me and it can get tedious or tiring when there are many knobs and dials that all look the same.

Anyway, good luck with it and keep us posted...I look forward to checking this one out.

Mart.

stratatonic

16 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:With orange screens and a silly orange in the logo ;P

I like the silly orange in the logo - with the black outline of the "O"...rather than just an orange orange like was posted later on, fwiw...

Any idea about pricing, and/or intro pricing?
Last edited by stratatonic on 25 May 2017, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

dannyF wrote:I actually am starting to like this one A LOT.
Yeah, I think making the screens and buttons orange is a great way to sneak in the orange evenly throughout.  Or, if anything, just the OSC buttons and waveform screens in orange...

If the waveforms are orange, then the sound MUST be orange! Haha ;)

eusti

16 Mar 2015

dannyF wrote:

I actually am starting to like this one A LOT.
Agreed!

D.

Julibee

16 Mar 2015

I'm with Selig on this one (shocking, I know)... Don't compromise, and make all of the knobs orange.  There's enough difference between the oscillators with the paneling colors.

I don't mind dannyf's with orange print, though. That's nice, too.

I want this one.  I really, really do.
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Grinder One

16 Mar 2015

Julibee wrote:I'm with Selig on this one (shocking, I know)... Don't compromise, and make all of the knobs orange.  There's enough difference between the oscillators with the paneling colors.

Lol...and suddenly dannyF gets all the credit...it was joeyluck's design  :comp:

ps...I really like that one too now :)

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

Julibee wrote:I'm with Selig on this one (shocking, I know)... Don't compromise, and make all of the knobs orange.  There's enough difference between the oscillators with the paneling colors.

What's funny is the orange knobs is a compromise in response to some folks' reactions to the original design with orange and blue paneling...

You can blame me for all of the cheap mockups in this thread lol, including the one with the orange print. I realize now that maybe I should have submitted them to Bou via email rather than posting them all here and the images becoming topic for debate of 'this of that vs. the original design.' As I was simply just trying to convey individual concepts (that could be used or not used) rather than proposals for complete design...

And I too like to see it myself before making the suggestion (to see if it would make sense first before suggesting to someone else who has to do the real work). So many times people might make a suggestion of "you should try this or that" and the dev can't see it until they themselves do it. I feel like making a crude mockup at least let's them see it first...

So, I just hope that my offerings here aren't seen as disrespectful. I am not a graphic designer, I do not claim to be. I changed some hues, dumped some paint, copy and pasted some knobs. And I do not claim that any of my mockups is the way to go. Clearly with the number of ideas I submitted, I'm not picky...just like to brainstorm ideas :)  

lowpryo

16 Mar 2015

lowprio wrote:

I'm confused why only one oscillator is orange - if this isn't being used to indicate "something" then it's just random IMO. I still like the one with orange knobs the best. It allows you to keep the identity of the name but not overwhelm the user with other colors or without leaving the color orange out completely. 
lowprio wrote:  
I think the orange oscillator 2 is a great way to quickly differentiate the 3 different sections of the synth. When all the oscillators are the same color, it's hard to kinda pull it apart and separate them. Maybe it would be better if oscillator 2 was orange, and oscillator 3 was like a darker, charcoal color? 3 separate colors for the 3 separate oscillators!

either way, I'm sure all of this feedback is overwhelming. we all clearly have different tastes, so you aren't gonna please everyone! this was a great conversation, but now just lock something down and move on, I'd say.
selig wrote:

But all the oscillators are NOT the same color as you suggest - the background of each is different making it very easy to see the sections at a glance. Are we talking about the same render here?

sorry, I wasn't talking about your render, I was talking about his when I was defending the "orange" osc 2. yes your features the same separation, but it doesn't immediately "pop out" at quick glance as much as his did.

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2015

lowprio wrote:

lowprio wrote:  

selig wrote:

lowprio wrote:
sorry, I wasn't talking about your render, I was talking about his when I was defending the "orange" osc 2. yes your features the same separation, but it doesn't immediately "pop out" at quick glance as much as his did.
To be clear, that wasn't my render - I simply copied the address from a previous post.
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

Grinder One wrote:
Lol...and suddenly dannyF gets all the credit...it was
Grinder One wrote:joeyluck's
Grinder One wrote:design  :comp:

ps...I really like that one too now :)
Haha I wouldn't call it design...

And dannyF can have the credit if it's accompanied by blame later :P  

Julibee

16 Mar 2015

GAH! Sorry, Joey!!!!!  
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

Julibee wrote:GAH! Sorry, Joey!!!!!  
Hehe no need to apologize. Credit for some crude mockups isn't necessary :)

One thing I did discover out of all of this is that I do want to see someone release a synth with those different color knobs. Might not work well for this synth with this name, but somebody should jump on that concept. I'd also like to see a device completely gold-plated. 

Hey Selig, maybe a limited edition Leveler in shiny gold for April Fools Day? ;)

snowcat

16 Mar 2015

Hey, joeyluck, how about a synth that appears invisible (or at least, "Wonder-Woman's-invisible-jet" style) and only when you touch the panel do the knobs appear...or fade up...or glow!

Invent the life you want to live.

Last Alternative

16 Mar 2015

Damn I feel lost just looking at it. I choose Joeyluck's color knob version but 3D would be even better. Honestly though I probably won't buy it so my opinion means nothing.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

tiker01

16 Mar 2015

dannyF wrote:
Something like this would be good maybe with light grey/dark grey panels and orange mix knobs on the OSC and orange Master Level knob.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

snowcat wrote:Hey, joeyluck, how about a synth that appears invisible (or at least, "Wonder-Woman's-invisible-jet" style) and only when you touch the panel do the knobs appear...or fade up...or glow!

Would be cool to see a synth with a clear casing so you can see all it's innards.

Majestik Monkey

17 Mar 2015

Majestik Monkey wrote: Yehhhhh i like this ... very easy to look at ' I wish they would change that freakin Name ! its a Synth Not a BLENDER ;)  
pbc278 wrote: Well, are you an animal ;-)

The name is based on my music company's name. Mixfood Music. (I make only remixes to be played in Radio non-stop mixes).
A second explanation is that this device is a waveform-mixer. You create sounds by layering (mixing) waveforms... And therfore I think it's also a blender  :crazy:

Also "Orange" is because I'm Dutch, and our national color is Orange... "Made in Holland" so to speak. The number 1 DJ country (in dance music I mean). 

I'm very happy with it. Also "Mixfood Orange" can be pronounced good all over the world.

Good enough?
Errrr . . . . Point taken & well explained  :t2018:  
I am looking forward to trying {MixFood-Blender} The Orange 1  :thumbup:

mind2069

17 Mar 2015

dannyF wrote:
tiker01 wrote:
Something like this would be good maybe with light grey/dark grey panels and orange mix knobs on the OSC and orange Master Level knob.
This is the best one but the dark gray is way too dark, Hard to read the fonts

• Information