Mixfood Orange Rack Extension coming soon

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
thotbott

15 Mar 2015

how have i never noticed that, and ive that drum synth bought :P that makes life a lot easier for me. well, a bit easier, i try to make crossbreed kickdrums which ive seen producers spend weeks making :L

pbc278

15 Mar 2015

Here's another quick listen.. Some presets without any processing, only a hi-hat sample playing along. Each 'song' is one track, one preset only.

Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

pbc278

15 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:Glad you were able to find some way to incorporate orange back into it :)
Yes... thanks for the idea.. I said I liked it. Now I can use the word "Juicy" or "Fruity" in my marketing... lol
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

Rice

15 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote:

EDIT: just realized there was already an example with the knobs I'm seeing:
Digging this one the most so far

Rice

15 Mar 2015

Where's ScottyM when you need'em??

pbc278

15 Mar 2015

dannyF wrote: Too boring!
Nothing quite like 'design by committee' !  :s0959: :s0959: :s0959: :s0959: :s0959: :s0959: :s0959:
Hey dannyF, it's not released yet ;-) I'm glad you liked the Orange and Blue though... I will play with the colors some more, you never know what might happen!
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

joeyluck

15 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:Glad you were able to find some way to incorporate orange back into it :)
pbc278 wrote:
Yes... thanks for the idea.. I said I liked it. Now I can use the word "Juicy" or "Fruity" in my marketing... lol
Haha! No prob. Now let's give the rack ears orange peel textures! Lol.
It looks very professional.

joeyluck

15 Mar 2015

dannyF wrote: Too boring!
Nothing quite like 'design by committee' !  :s0959: :s0959: :s0959: :s0959: :s0959: :s0959: :s0959:
pbc278 wrote:
Hey dannyF, it's not released yet ;-) I'm glad you liked the Orange and Blue though... I will play with the colors some more, you never know what might happen!
dannyF wrote:  
I'm glad you are giving all voices a chance. For me, I like distinction. I like to see solid branding. You could use the 'orange knobs' as your distinquishing characteristic on this and all your devices.
Lets face it, the layout here is bog standard ( linear ) and that's fine as long as there is something else to balance that factor. That's why you need to ( imo ) pizzaz it up with something outrageous ( ie orange knobs ) or some non standard use of color.
dannyF wrote:I am very excited about this synth and can't wait to get my hands on it, so I hope you don't mind my passion here!
dannyF wrote:  

I'm sure I'd like this synth no matter how it looks. I'm just slinging around ideas myself just to offer ideas when other people chimed in about the colors. And it's fun! My first suggestion was just to bring down the color saturation a bit. I really like what Bou came up with on his own. But yes—more incorporation of orange would be great (knobs or screens).

One thing I really like that Bou came up with are the sections that are somewhat of a gold color...  Which made me think—we have no REs that I can think of that use a nice brushed gold look. So, I don't think that should go away as it does look nice and it's different than other stuff we have seen. It looked more 'gold' when the grey sections were darker... 
Is it gold? Or is it just me? Is the dress gold and white or black and blue? Lol

Juan Rosa

16 Mar 2015

too big, the RE's needs fold, like NNXT, Thor etc.

Gaja

16 Mar 2015

dannyF wrote:
I think this one is close to perfect! Can we see a full on front facing view? 
As another idea you could make the second oscillator section orange, the third osciallator back to the metal look. Not sure if that would make it look too broken up. 

I agree, this is the iteration I personally like best. Like danny said, the orange knobs give it some excitement, provoking my creative senses (whatever these are). This design somehow asks me to play with it, and I admit I'd really love to right now :)
Cheers!
Fredhoven

pbc278

16 Mar 2015

Front

Back

This is the current state of the design... a good compromise?
Attachments
Preview_Snapshot_back_root_Panel.png
Preview_Snapshot_back_root_Panel.png (283.77 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

Tumble

16 Mar 2015

Looks really good

But maybe the faders could be brigher

Gaja

16 Mar 2015

Very nice!
I agree with tumble, make the faders a bit brigter and it'll really shine.
The knobs look a bit copperish now, which I find a bit weird, but maybe that's just the lighting
Cheers!
Fredhoven

pbc278

16 Mar 2015

Well I'll try to turn the copper into orange, but it's hard to determine the outcome in Reason. In the design-tool it looks a bit more orange and in Reason it looks more redish ;-) I see what I can do about the sliders. indeed maybe a bit higher (not wider), so they look bigger.
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

Grinder One

16 Mar 2015

Yep, the orange knobs work well with the silver. I want to hear this now...and I don't mean a soundcloud, I mean a youtube of the oscillators being played with :-)
I'm gonna mention a 1 shot LFO setting again though, not sure if it's possible with IDT...but I think more synths can make use of this option. I like Malstrom and Ammo 100LA for this cool feature.

Mart.

pbc278

16 Mar 2015

Grinder One wrote:Yep, the orange knobs work well with the silver. I want to hear this now...and I don't mean a soundcloud, I mean a youtube of the oscillators being played with :-)
I'm gonna mention a 1 shot LFO setting again though, not sure if it's possible with IDT...but I think more synths can make use of this option. I like Malstrom and Ammo 100LA for this cool feature.

Mart.
What is a 1 shot LFO? can you post an example...
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

DiZo

16 Mar 2015

your LFo is trigged and its an env. see on malstrom

tiker01

16 Mar 2015

Just a quick suggestion. Please add some values next to the Master Volume knob.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

zeebot

16 Mar 2015

Sounds really good from what I've heard from the demos.
Design needs calming down a bit, not really sure why the determination to include orange? Why not change the name and let the design dictate. Some of the rehashes look great.
I know sometimes its hard to drop a concept if it was the inspiration, please dont call it fruity or fruit..just reminds me of fruity loops.
Simply call it O-synth or something?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote:This is the current state of the design... a good compromise?
I like it!

But to be honest, I feel like it singles out a section when the others are missing out on the orange action. Could maybe outline the other knobs in orange?

Or, I think the easiest way to incorporate orange evenly throughout without it being overwhelming is to do so in the screens, diodes, and OSC buttons...

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote:Image 
This is the current state of the design... a good compromise?
Don't compromise!!! ;)

I'm confused why only one oscillator is orange - if this isn't being used to indicate "something" then it's just random IMO. I still like the one with orange knobs the best. It allows you to keep the identity of the name but not overwhelm the user with other colors or without leaving the color orange out completely. 

I love the orange concept, helps differentiate this synth from others both by name and by appearance!
Selig Audio, LLC

Grinder One

16 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote:
Grinder One wrote:Yep, the orange knobs work well with the silver. I want to hear this now...and I don't mean a soundcloud, I mean a youtube of the oscillators being played with :-)

Mart.
pbc278 wrote:
What is a 1 shot LFO? can you post an example...
Yea I could post an example if you need it but, I think it should be simple enough to explain. The LFO moves through the desired shape only once. So if you send it to the filter cut off for example with a sinewave at a nice slow rate, the cutoff frequency will slowly move from half open to fully open, then to fully closed and back to half open and then stop...rather than to keep looping. Have a play with the one shot feature in Malstrom's LFO to fully understand.

Mart.

lowpryo

16 Mar 2015

selig wrote: Don't compromise!!! ;)

I'm confused why only one oscillator is orange - if this isn't being used to indicate "something" then it's just random IMO. I still like the one with orange knobs the best. It allows you to keep the identity of the name but not overwhelm the user with other colors or without leaving the color orange out completely. 

I think the orange oscillator 2 is a great way to quickly differentiate the 3 different sections of the synth. When all the oscillators are the same color, it's hard to kinda pull it apart and separate them. Maybe it would be better if oscillator 2 was orange, and oscillator 3 was like a darker, charcoal color? 3 separate colors for the 3 separate oscillators!

either way, I'm sure all of this feedback is overwhelming. we all clearly have different tastes, so you aren't gonna please everyone! this was a great conversation, but now just lock something down and move on, I'd say.

joeyluck

16 Mar 2015

lowprio wrote:
selig wrote: Don't compromise!!! ;)

lowprio wrote:  
I think the orange oscillator 2 is a great way to quickly differentiate the 3 different sections of the synth. When all the oscillators are the same color, it's hard to kinda pull it apart and separate them. Maybe it would be better if oscillator 2 was orange, and oscillator 3 was like a darker, charcoal color? 3 separate colors for the 3 separate oscillators!

either way, I'm sure all of this feedback is overwhelming. we all clearly have different tastes, so you aren't gonna please everyone! this was a great conversation, but now just lock something down and move on, I'd say.
True.

But the panels do a good job separating things as is. No need to differentiate using different panels and knobs. That's all :) I agree with Selig that when I see one OSC with orange knobs for a synth called 'such-and-such orange,' it makes the user wonder if that OSC is special...

• Information