Mixfood Orange Rack Extension coming soon

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

14 Mar 2015

Saw this over at Rack Extenionists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oSZ2dF6e44

Attachments
mixfood_orange_back.JPG
mixfood_orange_back.JPG (105.44 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Gaja

14 Mar 2015

Ah nice to see the IDT getting some love.
Looks interesting.. I like that you can get the individual oscillators signal and process that further. Lots of possibilities!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

pjeudy

14 Mar 2015

Yes developers bring more IDT !
Will wait to hear more..the Youtube video attached doesn't allow to hear the versatility of this Sample based synth!  it's the sound (s) That it can produce that will be the selling point to me!

**UPDATE** 
What I like so far:
each OSC section has it's own filter/envelope
it's own widening parameters.
it's own effect section.
it's own EQ.
3 independent out put for OSCs Dry and wet :-)
last 2 OSC have 2 LFO...ETC...

WOW!! ...fingers crossed on the actual sounds and filter/envelope quality need to hear more sounds!!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

KaliKush84

14 Mar 2015

+1 for more instruments

pbc278

14 Mar 2015

As it is not released yet, maybe I can tweak it a little more. Are there any reasonable whishes for this device? Keep in mind it's IDT, so keep it realistic.... Or maybe some things you would like to see in this type of device in general for future releases. We as developers would like to make devices we all can have fun with and use in our productions, so any good requests are very welcome so "supply and demand" can come together...

Thanks upfront for your input ;-)

Greets from Holland,
Boudewijn Corbach
Greets from the Netherlands,
Studio Corbach
Bou

----------------------------     
GET MIXFOOD HERE

Grinder One

14 Mar 2015

pbc278 wrote: As it is not released yet, maybe I can tweak it a little more. Are there any reasonable whishes for this device? Keep in mind it's IDT, so keep it realistic.... Or maybe some things you would like to see in this type of device in general for future releases. We as developers would like to make devices we all can have fun with and use in our productions, so any good requests are very welcome so "supply and demand" can come together...

Thanks upfront for your input ;-)

Greets from Holland,
Boudewijn Corbach
1 shot LFO is always useful ?

Mart.

tibah

14 Mar 2015

So, this is based on single-cycle wave-forms I suppose? Did you make them yourself or are they available to everyone?

Some of the layouts are a bit odd. OSC 1 & 2 look the same. OSC 3 has a different order, with things switched around. We could argue if all OSCs need there own bank of effects. Not sure about the concept here.

Overall, if the effects are good, sure why not use them. But we all may have our favorites, stock devices or REs to use for that already. If this is only IDT "default" units chained together, with a couple of free waves from the internet... well, I guess you can tell I'm not that impressed.

dvdrtldg

14 Mar 2015

Please, for the love of god, change the colour scheme

Shokstar

14 Mar 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:Please, for the love of god, change the colour scheme
+1 and the name of the RE

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2015

If it has to have so many knobs then I agree that the name and color scheme are a challenge so play up the "wall of knobs" thing and give it a technical name like MO-3300 and make the colors either more muted or just use grays and nicer knobs.

Is it possible to create a patchbay for the LFOs etc on the back to allow a matrix type thing. That would appeal to many and open things up a ton?

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

joeyluck

14 Mar 2015

As far as the colors, I think you at least have something unique ;)

But maybe less color would help?

Here is an idea without changing much. This is with the color saturation down 50%
It's a little easier on the eyes.
I also think you might want to stray away from diamond plate rack ears... Personal opinion. it just doesn't seem natural for a synth and doesn't feel like it fits.

Anyways, doesn't have to be something flat like this, maybe a light gradient on the rack ears, but just to convey the idea:

Attachments
MO-less_color_saturation.png
MO-less_color_saturation.png (609.52 KiB) Viewed 2687 times

Grinder One

14 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:As far as the colors, I think you at least have something unique ;)

But maybe less color would help?

Here is an idea without changing much. This is with the color saturation down 50%
It's a little easier on the eyes.
I also think you might want to stray away from diamond plate rack ears... Personal opinion. it just doesn't seem natural for a synth and doesn't feel like it fits.

Anyways, doesn't have to be something flat like this, maybe a light gradient on the rack ears, but just to convey the idea:

I like that...it also helps with the lettering(control names and parameters) but that got me thinking, it would look even neater if the rotaries were black in colour...I think that would make things even easier to see.
I'm really like-ing the look and design of this synth myself, I'm a fan of seperate amp env's, it can really help with the creation of nice slow pads that have harmonic movement.

Mart.

joeyluck

14 Mar 2015

Grinder One wrote: I like that...it also helps with the lettering(control names and parameters) but that got me thinking, it would look even neater if the rotaries were black in colour...I think that would make things even easier to see.
I'm really like-ing the look and design of this synth myself, I'm a fan of seperate amp env's, it can really help with the creation of nice slow pads that have harmonic movement.

Mart.
I was actually thinking of how it could be broken up with different color knobs...

This is just a very crude example to convey the basic idea... simply desaturated the image and chose colors at random. I just bucket dumped colors.

Attachments
MO-knob_colors.png
MO-knob_colors.png (486.17 KiB) Viewed 2663 times

snowcat

14 Mar 2015

Love this charcoal with color knobs, joeyluck...
Invent the life you want to live.

dvdrtldg

14 Mar 2015

^^^^ much better

joeyluck

14 Mar 2015

snowcat wrote:Love this charcoal with color knobs, joeyluck...
Doesn't play well with the name though I guess...

Grinder One

14 Mar 2015

Wow yea....even better :thumbup:

stratatonic

14 Mar 2015

So what's wrong with orange? Bou the dev is from the Netherlands. Orange - Dutch. What?

joeyluck

15 Mar 2015

stratatonic wrote:So what's wrong with orange? Bou the dev is from the Netherlands. Orange - Dutch. What? 
Haha. Nothing wrong with orange :) Like I said, I was just trying to convey an idea. But for sake of clashing colors (and lack of graphic design skills), I just desaturated the image first.

But maybe with this idea in mind, orange can still be maintained in the name and maybe the rack ears?

Attachments
MO-orange_rack_ears.png
MO-orange_rack_ears.png (498.86 KiB) Viewed 2640 times

pjeudy

15 Mar 2015

What ? you guys haven't heard..?

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

thotbott

15 Mar 2015

This thing is the awesome. Not going to say much as I don't know what I'd be allowed talk about it from beta testing, but I have been finding it a joy to abuse trying to find bugs :) the sounds are lush, the few effects I got to use sound rich and from the short time I got to play with it ( am currently at work) I want to try and make some awesome patches for it. That charcoal colour scheme looks sick too. It's akin to ammo with all the wave forms, but much easier to use ( I <3 ammo don't get me wrong, just need a degree in physics to use some of the stuff :P ) all in all, from a quick initial test this will be a beast

pbc278

15 Mar 2015

Wow, thanks for the input on the colors you guys ;-) I see what I can do.. If you start out with an initial design it's hard to look at it again through objective eyes. But there are a lot of possibilities, also with the knobs I can use, so I will try address it and post some pictures for you all to look at and advise.

Also someone was asking about the samples and the simple effects that are already available in standard Reason:
The samples (currently Mixfood Orange hosts 1200 of them) are ALL done by.... ME ;-) I carefully sampled them myself and looped them in Adobe Audition one-by-one. If you find there's something about the quality of them, I will address it right away. Sound/Sample quality is king for me in an IDT device! I don't use downloaded samples, I made every 1200 myself. 

The FX in IDT are (I think) all based on the standard effects already present in Reason, that's correct. But In combination with unique waveforms and in the hands of us creative people they can create magical sounds! For me IDT is about fun. I'm trying to create a fun device with great sound quality, something that I would like to play with myself. There are a few IDT devices already in the shop and we all use the same tools. And even though we all do, there's a lot of different things we can create with it.

For now I have some work to do (designing IDT devices take a lot of time). Also I will be making a lot of patches with and without combinators, and that will also take some time. I will post a video of some unique patches (to show off how versatile it really is) soon. With individual Audio-out of each oscillator (dry and wet) there are a ton of patches I can create. Even in combination with many RE's there's so much you can do. I just can't stop playing with it... But it all takes time, so I'll be really busy ;-)

Stay tuned...
Bye for now Boudewijn

EDIT: Just a quick change of colors:
One

Two

Attachments
design_2.jpg
design_2.jpg (260.56 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

Lizard

15 Mar 2015

I love the look of number two!  :)

IDT is different then the latest version of SDK.  With IDT you are working within a box that Propellerhead gives you.  It has certain limitation because you can't add your custom code.  Like it has been described by Propellerhead themselves it is a customizable sample player.  A device created with "code" under the latest SDK is unrestricted by the developer and his/her talents by what they chose to add.  So you have to always keep that in mind.  I've been attempting to learn IDT for a while in my jam-packed life that to see and hear what Boudewijn has created certainly has me impressed.  I've been learning first-hand how complex developing a device is that all developers have my respect.  How you script an IDT may be easier to understand than C++ but in all is still a challenging task.  Developing a GUI is still developing a GUI.  Editing and changing given elements of the SDK is still the same.  It's a lot of try and fail which adds up to a lot of hard work.  I'm not sure that the IDT was originally designed for the purpose of creating a synth like this so I believe this is a fine demonstration of what can be currently done.  Fantastic job!

pbc278

15 Mar 2015

In Reason it looks like this:

Attachments
MixfoodOrange_front_new.jpg
MixfoodOrange_front_new.jpg (460.56 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
Studio Corbach
Bou

GET MIXFOOD HERE

Grinder One

15 Mar 2015

Oh man...I love that. It's gone from looking like a toy, to looking like a serious piece of kit.

Mart.

• Information