"Meteora Sample Based Rompler" in the shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
-008'

13 Mar 2015

https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... d-rompler/

New IDT rompler synth.. discuss? First RE I've seen with a QR code on the back :) The convolution section and the FX-board are pretty big, and we all recently saw Rebublik, so it seems like you can do quite a bit with that IDT stuff!

Image  Image 

:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

EnochLight

13 Mar 2015

Only $35 bucks?  Wow - that's pretty affordable.  Will have to give this a look/listen!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

13 Mar 2015

Looks cool. Would be nice to have Audio In jacks so you could access the FX/convolution section....

Ecopro

13 Mar 2015

It sounds like something I would like to try. Good price as well.
Guts Electronic Mayhem

eusti

13 Mar 2015

Beat me to it! :)

D.

Exowildebeest

13 Mar 2015

I thought this was an April Fools because of the hilarious Engrish description...

EnochLight

13 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I thought this was an April Fools because of the hilarious Engrish description...
That did make me giggle, as well.  I think they're a Russian company though.

Attachments
RussianMeteorMeme7.jpg
RussianMeteorMeme7.jpg (28.03 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Jagwah

13 Mar 2015

I don't have the best first impressions with this device. I was very excited at the idea of a Virus TI Supersaw, it sounds nice as a chorused pad but I didn't get what I was hoping for from the lower end.

Perhaps it's just me but the 'End Filter' section seems to operate in an unusual and incorrect way.

I haven't used a device like this before, I take it this is supposed to be kind of like a refill device? I really feel it lacking in flexibility but maybe I just haven't grasped the concept yet?

pjeudy

13 Mar 2015

I'm away from my computer. ..but playing the demo that's in the shop with my ipod...it doesn't sound too hot! Will need to get my hands in this and see for my self.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Shokstar

13 Mar 2015

only what I can say is: "***t" 1 star from my side!!!

joeyluck

13 Mar 2015

Shokstar wrote:only what I can say is: "***t" 1 star from my side!!!

At least the GUI is better than most?

I haven't had a chance to try it yet...

Shokstar

13 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:
At least the GUI is better than most?

I haven't had a chance to try it yet...
really, try it by your own. This RE is not what I was looking for. maybe you like the sound of the drumkits etc. The GUI was okay for me but the order of the FX´s was not well chosen I guess. Send FX´s like Chorus, reverb etc should come at the end of the fx chain. distortion after a reverb sounds horrible :D  a good solution would be, if we could change the fx routings by hand like in RP-Distort or Battle-Axe.

MrVibehead

13 Mar 2015

+1 star from me: That are 2 stars. We need 3 people more to get a 5 star device.

Got the computer too slow message with a single instance. That's pretty cool.

Waste of time again...

Shokstar

13 Mar 2015

MrVibehead wrote:
+1 star from me: That are 2 stars. We need 3 people more to get a 5 star device.

Waste of time again...
what kind of requirement has your PC?

MrVibehead

13 Mar 2015

MrVibehead wrote:

Waste of time again...
Shokstar wrote:
MacBook Pro i7 2820QM ( But it was only a experiment. Turn all fx on at this rompler. For a normal patch you'll never do this, but nevertheless it's a cpu-hog, forget Ubik-F, forget TSAR-1, this thing is the king )

Shokstar

13 Mar 2015

MrVibehead wrote:

Waste of time again...
Shokstar wrote:
MrVibehead wrote:
MacBook Pro i7 2820QM ( But it was only a experiment. Turn all fx on at this rompler. For a normal patch you'll never do this, but nevertheless it's a cpu-hog, forget Ubik-F, forget TSAR-1, this thing is the king )
but that´s the thing, it´s availible :D one I´m one of these guys to use extreme settings :D

MrVibehead

13 Mar 2015

MrVibehead wrote:

Waste of time again...
Shokstar wrote:
MrVibehead wrote:
Shokstar wrote:
but that´s the thing, it´s availible :D one I´m one of these guys to use extreme settings :D
yes shokstar  :D .
Some sounds are really fat, but it is not a flexible synth.
For the same price I think the chip64 is a better value and it is a real synth( A rompler is not a synth in my eyes ).
Had pass this 64, because of the strong cpu-hit using the filters.
But ochen said this issue is fixed now with the last update.
Can’t check it again, trial is over   I  :frown:    PH :P

gak

13 Mar 2015

I have no idea why (maybe the demos?) but I thought this was more a drum thing. I do like some of the drum sounds in the demos.

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2015

Interesting synth. Sure it has a limited (and at times obtuse) architecture but it is also capable of doing what the Dev says and deliver strong, distinctive tones really fast. Definitely a character synth.

I just broke it by pressing two handfuls of keys at once on my P6 and it crashed (R8 sand boxed).

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

eusti

13 Mar 2015

Benedict wrote:Interesting synth. Sure it has a limited (and at times obtuse) architecture but it is also capable of doing what the Dev says and deliver strong, distinctive tones really fast. Definitely a character synth.

I just broke it by pressing two handfuls of keys at once on my P6 and it crashed (R8 sand boxed).

:)
Too many fingers , Benedict, too many fingers! ;)

D.

pjeudy

13 Mar 2015

If the developer of this device would scale back all those feature and focused on a couple of section..this might have been better in the long run!  Even playing with the presets they you can hear that they are a variation of the same sound..to a certain extent..I really..really..really..wanted to like this device!
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Majestik Monkey

13 Mar 2015

:t2018:   i like it because of its weird & qwerky fusion of intanglement ' if there is such a word ' lol Global Octave select0r is wrong ? 

Juan Rosa

13 Mar 2015

That devise needs a demo video.

turn2on
RE Developer

14 Mar 2015

HI. Thanks for discuss METEORA. 

You must know few moments about device for better understand it.

Its ROMpler. Not Synth. (IDT cant be natural Synth. You can named it Rompler or Sample-based synthesizer). You must understand, that now REs have new kind of devices. Its no synths! Its ROMplers and You must understand that devices. Developers now can use IDT elements developed by PH  in their REs.

Meteora has 4 lines (Hyper/Liquid/Sub-Bass/Drums) - virtual small ROMs, that you can use at one time with LFO, Filters and FX`s.  

You can know about hardware Romplers from Ensoniq or E-MU devices (E-MU Mo-Phatt, Xlead-1,..). 

Image  Image  

Rompler - set of ROMs with built-in sounds, its not simple sampler, its much more. 
Sounds from ROMs  can be modified with LFO, Filters and FX`s into hardware device. In 2000 romplers been very popular.
Many producers and bands use them as alternative for big-price hardware and quality sound of filters and effects.  
Hardware romplers - use its own DSP. Its cool for your PC software DSP level. 

Now talk about METEORA:

So, we must talk about why it ROMLER device for better understand!
We not named our Device as SYNTH at last moment!

All IDT Rack Extensions - just sample-based romplers. You must understand it.
Its not box for refill, its not synth! 
Only one eleement into IDT RE can generate signal without samples - SineOSC element (you can find it in Meteoras as addition OSC for base-signal instrument line).

What we must said, IDT RE - cant be synthesizers at its architecture scheme! Its romplers with various structures of concrete product. 

SO: 

1/ Now we can't realize some features on current SDK, but have big plans with future SDK version, PH work on it and have some plans that we use after SDK update. 
We have in plans - audio input for use device as fx-processor. Create more lines and optimize current lines, restructuring sections on the board of device. 

2/ Our old "must have" function for REs by PH - create hardware DSP and use it for RE. Its cool thing, your CPU can have low DSP level into Reason. But today - its dream for RE platform and only PH can do it. No info from them on this way.

3/ Why Meteora can has "computer too slow" message? We use library of samples for every instrument line.
Every line have multilayered samples.. If You press 3 keys, device play for you 2-30 layers. You must understand, ROMPLER devices use big library that eat Reason DSP level. 
You  can load now Reason Drum Kits 2.0 Refill in 24bit. Try to use it multilayered. You have this message very fast in work. Quality multilayered samples need big CPU resources. 
Now we work on optimize our lines in device for better CPU usage. Now we have about 60 files on note range of one instrument line. We can reconstruct and optimize it, but you must understand - samples need not only CPU, samples need from You - RAM. Samples fast filled your RAM, and better for work with samples on PC - have more RAM.
If You press 5 keys - really device can use many samples as multilayered. 

Meteora - software rompler. It use CPU and RAM of PC. RAM for samples. CPU for use effects, lfo, filters. 
If you have i7 and 2/4/8gb RAM - time for update your RAM. Serious musicians and studios understand it 15 years ago and today. Synthesizers and effects need CPU. Samples need RAM. 

What You must do for better DSP level of Reason - use Convolutions section right! Convolution algorithms eat CPU resources. Device has Quality knob. You must set this parameter - on Min as You can for hear clear sound. The lowest Quality parameter at  start positions from zero - distorted sound and You may listen any artefacts. You must setup every time for new sound Quality parameter on comfort minimum level without listened artifacts. It really saves your CPU usage. 

4/ IDT devices - not synthesizer, effects unit. Please don't compare IDT with other kind of devices. Rompler use samples, but give You more than any ReFills can. Its devices with own character, algorithms.

5/ Learn how use better AMP section for samples into samplers. AMP can have Big CPU usage with not understand settings.
Practice with NN-XT layers. AMP settings can really use CPU.  Please understand it.

6/ Global Octave? We use it as global parameter for instrument. If You work with drum-line, Octave parameter not pitch drum sounds, it change range of Drum Kits. On rear panel of device you can find - "Every Octave = 1 Drum Kit. Total 11 kits". If you change global Octave with drums - You change active Drum Kit (only 5 positions).
Current SDK have some nuances, we can't make some features that we need as "must have". We talk with PH about all our ideas for future SDK version, they insert in SDK plans some ideas form DEVs wishlist. We wait new SDK for make some updates with few our ideas.

Now METEORA has standard rompler scheme. It has own character, own algorithms
Yes, FX-routing - its must have function. But sorry, today we only can wait new SDK for realize it.
We can rebuild FX-scheme today, no problem. But one musician need Reverb -> Dist, other Dist -> Reverb. Now we can build only one universal scheme. And this scheme create own sound-character of device. 
If time for fx-routing come into SDK - we use it in our device. 

Now You must understand - its no just Refill into beauty box. Yes, its sample-library. But it has individual sound-modify elements. 

So, You can use NN-XT sampler with your own samples or any ReFill, connect it to many Reason devices for build sound you need. But it uses some DSP level, resources and your time. Try to use 14fx devices into Reason with multilayered samples device and you get big usage of DSP. 
Our device break scheme where you need use many third-part fx-devices to build your sound. It saves your time. 

METEORA rompler - has own elements for change sound. Individual impulses algorithms, shaper algorithms, ..etc.  

Have any Ideas? Please write to us. 

PS: Yes, We from Russia - and our native language Russian. Please, sorry us for bad English grammar. 
If You can help to correct text in PROP-Shop - write to us your corrections, and we change it. Yes, its very bad when developer write with errors and we understand it. We not have native speaker of English and search who can help us. 

PPS: METEORA have nothing in common with Linkin Park, sorry. It is play with words.

We listen all your opinions and ideas. 
From this topic we check some ideas for next updates.
Thank You!

• Information