FREE A/B Audio & CV Switch by pongasoft

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

23 Mar 2015

submonsterz wrote:only problem with this device is its simple enough to had been an sdk1 device ......
but sadly props roll the sdk how they do forcing upgrades even to run such a simple thing :frown: .
The increased cost (and frustration) of supporting multiple SDKs going forward would also cause complaints…I can see both sides here. They have to cut things off at some point, and there will ALWAYS be complaints no matter how they decide to move forward. :)

Selig Audio, LLC

submonsterz

23 Mar 2015

submonsterz wrote:only problem with this device is its simple enough to had been an sdk1 device ......
but sadly props roll the sdk how they do forcing upgrades even to run such a simple thing :frown: .
selig wrote:
The increased cost (and frustration) of supporting multiple SDKs going forward would also cause complaints…I can see both sides here. They have to cut things off at some point, and there will ALWAYS be complaints no matter how they decide to move forward. :)
look at my post here to feel my frustration even more on this !!

http://www.reasontalk.com/post/show_sin ... stcount=32

selig
RE Developer

23 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
look at my post here to feel my frustration even more on this !!

Understood - though I don't really see any other option. Again, there has to be a cutoff, and there will always be those that complain NO MATTER the cut off date. Extend SDK1 for another year, and there will still be folks that complain. Extend it 10 years and maybe the complaints from users will lessen (but the developers will not appreciate it). 

From the developer perspective, you want the MOST users on the MOST current SDK. You do NOT want to develop for or support two SDKs. You do NOT want to miss out of speed increases etc. of the newer SDKS. 

Option 1: Keep multiple SDKs around and charge more for development (passing these costs on to the end users). This allows simpler devices to use the older SDKs (IF the developer chooses to do so), but at higher cost to the end user, and more frustration for developers who must maintain two complete working versions of the SDKs and not get confused when working between them. 

Option 2: Keep moving forward and hope users follow. New REs will only be available on more recent host versions, which gives a reason for folks to update beyond the features of the host app. Users still on older versions don't have the newer features OR the newer REs, which shouldn't surprise anyone IMO. But development costs will be lower, which is a win for most IMO.

(insert other options I'm now aware of "here"!)

Currently SDK 2 REs support the two latest major versions of the host app. I don't exactly know how this compares to similar products/industries, but this seems reasonable IMO. Of course if I only owned R6.5, I'd not be quite as happy as I am now if there was a particular RE that I couldn't own. 

I can also suggest that this "trend" will continue with each new SDK - note that there has NOT been a new SDK with each new Reason version. But this is a double edged sword - many are complaining the SDK isn't moving forward fast enough, so again where should the line be drawn where it wouldn't negatively affect ANYONE? 

:)

Selig Audio, LLC

challism

23 Mar 2015

Thanks so much to the Dev (pongasoft) for not only giving us this sweet RE for free.... BUT also adding a CV inputs.  :)   You rock, pongasoft!!!!

You should just bite the bullet and go ahead and upgrade to v7 or v8.  You can still find v7 upgrade codes on ebay.  It will open up your world of REs 1000%.  :)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

submonsterz

23 Mar 2015

challism wrote:Thanks so much to the Dev (pongasoft) for not only giving us this sweet RE for free.... BUT also adding a CV inputs.  :)   You rock, pongasoft!!!!

challism wrote:
You should just bite the bullet and go ahead and upgrade to v7 or v8.  You can still find v7 upgrade codes on ebay.  It will open up your world of REs 1000%.  :)
that's the point I own two licenses one with all my paid res is a 6.5 one and I have a separate 7.1 license.... cant transferre my res to me 7.1 account  so im stuffed ......

ScuzzyEye

23 Mar 2015

submonsterz wrote:that's the point I own two licenses one with all my paid res is a 6.5 one and I have a separate 7.1 license.... cant transferre my res to me 7.1 account  so im stuffed ......
But you can transfer your 7.1 license to your account with all the REs.

Grinder One

23 Mar 2015

selig wrote: Now that's what I call service!
Nicely done, pongasoft.
Agreed...really liking this dev.

pedrocaetanos

24 Mar 2015

selig wrote:
Oddly no way to switch via CV…  ;(
JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote: There's an update available providing... guess what ;) ?!?
selig wrote:
Now that's what I call service!
Nicely done, pongasoft.
Indeed, well said!
Customer service like this would be good on a paid product - now considering the the price of this little thing... ;)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

frog974new

24 Mar 2015

nice update :)
now we've a great switch tool

challism

30 Mar 2015

Thanks again to the dev (pongasoft) for making this RE available for FREE!  I find myself using this all the time now. :)   GREAT DEVICE!!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

CharlyCharlzz

02 Apr 2015

Deep Schulzz wrote:Just downloaded this free RE. It's installed plus appears in my account.  But - again - the authorisation process failed.......arghhh.
Again & again i get the error message that the authorisation process failed = check your internet connection bla, bla. But the internet connection is 100% ok.
So at the moment I have lost ALL my Rack extension stuff. This sucks.  The authorisation process is much too unreliable. :?
I never had a single trouble with it and i use reason everyday almost ,
from time to time instaling the latest authoriser version and synch etc... did keep me away from those troubles .

I like this RE , a user of the old puf asked me once if I did A/B my mix's when I had troubles with that and it did change my life in some ways because I never heard about a/b before .
simple things can help big times .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

• Information