Selig Audio Entire Product Line 50% off!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:The link to the Leveler manual isn't working: http://www.seligaudio.com/images/pdf/Se ... v1.1.0.pdf
I've re-submitted the page with the new link - may take a few days and in the mean time here's the proper link:

http://www.seligaudio.com/images/pdf/Se ... 0Guide.pdf

Thanks for pointing this out!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2015

gak wrote:I think for vocals, leveler is likely to be a no-brainer. I'm having a tough time understanding where the value is for other things. I don't want to do a rushed demo just to save 50%. 
The Leveler wasn't originally designed for vocals, it was designed to increase low and mid level audio signals as a "targeted" upwards compressor concept. The fact it works for vocals is just something that seemed obvious to promote - it's hardly a "vocal" effect, though I almost always use it on vocals. It is also quite handy for managing micro or macro dynamics, with a hallmark being the ability to raise the apparent loudness without raising the peak or noise floor level (when set correctly). 

Also worth noting that it's hardly ever used at 100% blend because the effect is so "concentrated". The benefits here are the ability to get the same amount of gain other compressors can get but while using only 50% blend (or less), which of course allows you to retain much more of the original signal/dynamics than other compressors. Another hallmark is that the peaks, which are the most affected part of the signal when using downwards compression, are the LEAST affected with the Leveler which also contributes to this device not sounding "compressed" because the clues we often use to identify compression (squashed transients) are not present!

So for macro dynamics (vocal etc. leveling) it works great, but also for micro dynamics (adjusting the decay of individual hits/notes), the Leveler has a unique place IMO.

One extreme example I give of micro dynamic manipulation is taking a sampled piano note (ID8) and remove ALL the decay across 96 dB of dynamic range - basically making a decaying sound "sustain" with no decay! Works great for creating erie effects from cymbal crashes etc. ;)

Applications include:
Vocal Leveling
Adding loudness
Increasing sustain
Drum enhancing (smoothing or sharpening)
Soft "gating", removing reverb
Bass taming (especially for multi-osc patches that "beat" against each other)
Targeting the mid levels, ignoring peaks above a set level and noise below a set level
Special FX

Selig Audio, LLC

MDTerps2015

08 Mar 2015

BPGeez wrote:Fuck yeeesssssss!!!! How long will this go on??
I hope at least until next Friday. Kind of stuck on whether or not to spend the money today but if i can wait til Friday its a sure buy first thing Friday morning. Thats next Friday lol. 
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Ronin

08 Mar 2015

I never really do this, but i bought leveller without trialling it on the basis of the feedback people have given. Hopefully im not disappointed, i doubt i will be.

ps. It seems like one of those unique devices in reason that is not replicated by any other compressor.

Gaja

08 Mar 2015

Ronin wrote:I never really do this, but i bought leveller without trialling it on the basis of the feedback people have given. Hopefully im not disappointed, i doubt i will be.

ps. It seems like one of those unique devices in reason that is not replicated by any other compressor.
I don't think you'll be disappointed. I have used it exclusively for vocals so far, and if you works with vocals you'll certainly get good value out of it. I found it to be really helpful, when trying to get a dynamic vocal performance to be equally present throughout the entire song.
I'm sure I'll be equally satisfied with the result of using the leveller on other sources.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Yonatan

08 Mar 2015

Leveler was a must buy, De-esser went in too as it´s great at its task, and Gain also went along without really knowing in what instances it might come to use, better read to find out. 

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2015

Yonatan wrote:Leveler was a must buy, De-esser went in too as it´s great at its task, and Gain also went along without really knowing in what instances it might come to use, better read to find out. 
Gain is designed to be a handy multi-tool device. It can do the obvious precise gain adjustments in 0.1 dB steps (and allow you to automate level in 0.1 dB increments instead of the random 0-1000 values used for the SSL faders). It's also handy as a peak hold meter, showing you the loudest peak level on any audio path at any point. 

Don't forget Gain also works on CVs, allowing you to control CV levels more easily than the back panel (non-automatable) CV trim control. I also find it handy to use as a CV source on devices like Parsec or Noxious that don't have a "constant" source in their mod matrix - useful for driving LFO values to super low levels, or envelopes to super long time constants etc., like you would use a Rotary for in Thor. 

There are all the 'extras' like separate L/R pan controls with multiple pan laws to choose from (with CV outputs that follow the selected curve), the SSL inspired "Auto-Fade" feature, mono switch, and polarity inversion!

It has something for everyone, even though everyone probably won't use every function.

Selig Audio, LLC

JoshuaPhilgarlic

08 Mar 2015

Yay, I got Leveler now, thanks a lot Selig :s0801: . After testing I bought it mainly for mastering to get a bit more loudness (even though I'm not a fan of the loudness war :x - but a little bit more would be nice ;) ).

But I've two little issues (I bought it anyway, damned):

1. The PDF isn't up-to-date - what's the AUTO button good for? It has to do with the Peak/Target thing, that's obvious, but what does it exactly??

2. I checked it with this track ...

At the end there's a noise burst with a bit of reverb decaying for 3-4 seconds. When I use Leveler for compression it's cropped pretty fast instead because Leveler's slowest recovery is just 250ms. Any idea to prevent that??

paulred67

08 Mar 2015

I bought them all. Thank you Selig. The only thing I regret is that I bought ReMark without discount when it was released. 50% from 0,00 EUR woud help. :D
Studio One 6, Melodyne 5 Studio, Nord Stage, Roland RD-88, VR-730, Jupiter-Xm, JD-08, Arturia V Collection X, Pigments 5, Korg Collection 3, East West Cloud, Sampletank 4, Miroslav Philharmonic 2, Syntronik, Sampletron, Hammond B-3X, Blue 3, Pianoteq.

Morph

08 Mar 2015

Yeah got the whole set, just hope i can use them for something :D

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2015

JoshuaPhilgarlic wrote:Yay, I got Leveler now, thanks a lot Selig :s0801: . After testing I bought it mainly for mastering to get a bit more loudness (even though I'm not a fan of the loudness war :x - but a little bit more would be nice ;) ).

But I've two little issues (I bought it anyway, damned):

1. The PDF isn't up-to-date - what's the AUTO button good for? It has to do with the Peak/Target thing, that's obvious, but what does it exactly??

2. I checked it with this track ...

At the end there's a noise burst with a bit of reverb decaying for 3-4 seconds. When I use Leveler for compression it's cropped pretty fast instead because Leveler's slowest recovery is just 250ms. Any idea to prevent that??
"Auto" is the Auto Reset for the Peak Hold display, like with the Big Meter in Reason. It is a 3 second reset of the peak hold level, useful for when you may be adjusting levels and need the display to update automatically.

You can force the Recovery time slower by using the CV input on the rear - the values are not internally "clamped" in any way. But this will affect all parts of the signal, not just the end, which may not then have the intended results. As an alternative you can also use the Peak Detector output to drive the Recovery time for an "auto recovery" type of effect. But I should add that I've only needed to do this once myself, for a special effect. For normal use I almost never use a slower Recovery time than the default setting. Hopefully this addresses your question - if I could hear the example in question I may be able to offer other suggestions.
Selig Audio, LLC

Roly

08 Mar 2015

Bought all three. Too good an offer to resist.

childofsaturn

08 Mar 2015

I'm looking forward to picking up Gain and DeEsser. I already have Leveler, which I love and use all the time (frequently on drums, thanks for the tip Selig!). I'm a little nervous I might miss out since I can't afford the purchase until the 16th of the month. Since there's clearly a shyness in mentioning the duration of the sale, I'll politely request it be extended at least until then ;) .

challism

08 Mar 2015

I hadn't ever tried Leveler or DeEsser.  But I knew I would buy them even without trialing them, because of the high and frequent praise they both receive in the Propellerhead community.  I savor my trials, so I was waiting until I had the cash before trialing these two gems.  But at 50% off, it's an INSTANT BUY!  No trial needed!  Now I own the entire Selig RE collection!!
Thank you so much, Giles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

JNeffLind

08 Mar 2015

Recommend to all to jump on this. Paid full price and don't regret it. 

gak

09 Mar 2015

gak wrote:I think for vocals, leveler is likely to be a no-brainer. I'm having a tough time understanding where the value is for other things. I don't want to do a rushed demo just to save 50%. 
selig wrote:
The Leveler wasn't originally designed for vocals, it was designed to increase low and mid level audio signals as a "targeted" upwards compressor concept. The fact it works for vocals is just something that seemed obvious to promote - it's hardly a "vocal" effect, though I almost always use it on vocals. It is also quite handy for managing micro or macro dynamics, with a hallmark being the ability to raise the apparent loudness without raising the peak or noise floor level (when set correctly). 

Also worth noting that it's hardly ever used at 100% blend because the effect is so "concentrated". The benefits here are the ability to get the same amount of gain other compressors can get but while using only 50% blend (or less), which of course allows you to retain much more of the original signal/dynamics than other compressors. Another hallmark is that the peaks, which are the most affected part of the signal when using downwards compression, are the LEAST affected with the Leveler which also contributes to this device not sounding "compressed" because the clues we often use to identify compression (squashed transients) are not present!

So for macro dynamics (vocal etc. leveling) it works great, but also for micro dynamics (adjusting the decay of individual hits/notes), the Leveler has a unique place IMO.

One extreme example I give of micro dynamic manipulation is taking a sampled piano note (ID8) and remove ALL the decay across 96 dB of dynamic range - basically making a decaying sound "sustain" with no decay! Works great for creating erie effects from cymbal crashes etc. ;)
selig wrote:
Applications include:
Vocal Leveling
Adding loudness
Increasing sustain
Drum enhancing (smoothing or sharpening)
Soft "gating", removing reverb
Bass taming (especially for multi-osc patches that "beat" against each other)
Targeting the mid levels, ignoring peaks above a set level and noise below a set level
Special FX

MannequinRaces

09 Mar 2015

Thank you Giles!  My collection is now complete!  Outstanding deal for anybody who hasn't jumped on these yet.  Looking forward to what you cook up next.

dvdrtldg

09 Mar 2015

How come if any other developer has a sale, the internet almost crashes with the number of people batch about how they bought [device X] only a month ago, and demanding that they be granted some sort of special retrospective discount.

Selig has a sale, and people are lining up to say they're GLAD they bought his REs at full price.

I'm a proud owner of (full-price) Leveler & Gain, will probably pick up DeEsser this time around. Great stuff.

Kategra

09 Mar 2015

Yes, I bought DeEsser full price and it's one of the best purchases I made for Reason.
For leveling - I prefer to do it manually (normalize RMS on smaller intervals to even them out) in audio editors, and then automate channel volume in Reason to accentuate certain parts to fit the song. I also have a lot of compressors already; I don't have excess money, so I can't justify buying Leveler now despite it's out the blue 50% discount.

challism

09 Mar 2015

POPULAR RIGHT NOW: SELIG PRODUCTS!  DUH!!!!!!!!!!! OF COURSE THEY ARE!
Only a complete moron wouldn't be buying the entire collection right now (in my humble opinion).

I would even bet that Selig is about to break the all time Propellerhead record for most REs sold in a single day.

--->  Speaking of complete morons.... can anybody tell me where I can find the Selig ReMark user manual?  I can't figure out how to use that thing.  ;)

Attachments
selig.jpg
selig.jpg (317.53 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Gaja

09 Mar 2015

Only a complete moron wouldn't be buying the entire collection right now (in my humble opinion)
or someone without money.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Kategra

09 Mar 2015

challism wrote: POPULAR RIGHT NOW: SELIG PRODUCTS!  DUH!!!!!!!!!!! OF COURSE THEY ARE!
Only a complete moron wouldn't be buying the entire collection right now (in my humble opinion).

I would even bet that Selig is about to break the all time Propellerhead record for most REs sold in a single day.

Or people who don't need it!
I won't buy a RE thinking that maybe I'll find a use for it; that would be the real moronic thing to do, especially when I can never resell it!

mcatalao
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2015

Oh man, INSTABUY!

I talked with Selig sometime ago about the possibility of a combo but this is even better!

I just started to change my vocal chain from different de-essing solutions to Selig De-esser and it is so natural! 

Great stuff!

Ostermilk

09 Mar 2015

dvdrtldg wrote:How come if any other developer has a sale, the internet almost crashes with the number of people batch about how they bought [device X] only a month ago, and demanding that they be granted some sort of special retrospective discount.

Selig has a sale, and people are lining up to say they're GLAD they bought his REs at full price.

I'm a proud owner of (full-price) Leveler & Gain, will probably pick up DeEsser this time around. Great stuff.
Perhaps it's because the perceived value of them is high enough among those that already own them.

I paid full price for Leveler and I'm just surprised to see so many here that don't own it yet, it's a fantastic tool and is great value at its RRP and unique in how it deals with dynamics.  I just think it's great for those where the price has seemed prohibitive up 'til now get a chance to get hold of it.

The de-esser is the first one I've ever bothered with, always prefering to tame sibilants using manual means because of the amount of control I get.  This is the first de-ess plug-in I've ever found that hits the right spots to the right degree without too much intervention from me and trust me I've tried plenty.

Gain also is such a simple multi-utilitarian device that will get you out of all manner of scrapes and this price renders it a complete no-brainer.

My 2 pennies FWIW.

dhruan

09 Mar 2015

Hmmm, I wonder how long this sale will run? If for a week and some more then yay, if not, oh well.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

• Information