Selig Audio Entire Product Line 50% off!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
deankay

18 Mar 2015

selig wrote: Image 

For a limited time, get 50% off the entire range of Selig Audio Rack Extensions:
Selig Leveler was $69, now $35
Selig DeEsser was $59, now $29
Selig Gain was $19, now $9
Selig ReMark was free, now 50% more free!

Spread the Word!

:s0221:
(you heard it here first folks!)
[EDIT: there's a minor bug update for the Leveler for those who already own it (thank-you!)]

Now that the reason these went on 50% sale has been exposed(Backline Rig) ;)
Please keep the sale up till the end of the month. I really need the Desser.
Pretty Please!!

selig
RE Developer

18 Mar 2015

selig wrote: No - the entire price reduction concept is an experiment for me since I'm totally new to the business/marketing world.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
By way of direct feedback to a developer, I will say that I purchased 'Leveler' & 'DeEsser' purely because they were on sale. I have often thought that they may be of use for the podcast editing jobs I sometimes do. I still don't quite know how they can be applied for my purposes, and I don't think I have even installed them yet - but because of the sale you have two purchases, where there would otherwise have not been a sale (to me) if they were at full price.
I've implied this question in the past but never really flat out asked it - are you saying that it's all about the "sale" and not the actual price? For example, IF the product had originally been priced @ $139, you would have purchased it @ a "sale" price of $69 (the actual FULL price) without thinking. But at $69 "regular price" you wouldn't have purchased it? Same price - only difference is that one is "half off".

This is what I believe I've heard others (and you) say, but I have to wonder: doesn't the ACTUAL price (rather than the fact it's "on sale") have ANY bering, or is it all about "the sale" here? Serious marketing question I've always wondered…

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

18 Mar 2015

selig wrote: No - the entire price reduction concept is an experiment for me since I'm totally new to the business/marketing world.
Namahs Amrak wrote:
By way of direct feedback to a developer, I will say that I purchased 'Leveler' & 'DeEsser' purely because they were on sale. I have often thought that they may be of use for the podcast editing jobs I sometimes do. I still don't quite know how they can be applied for my purposes, and I don't think I have even installed them yet - but because of the sale you have two purchases, where there would otherwise have not been a sale (to me) if they were at full price.
selig wrote:
I've implied this question in the past but never really flat out asked it - are you saying that it's all about the "sale" and not the actual price? For example, IF the product had originally been priced @ $139, you would have purchased it @ a "sale" price of $69 (the actual FULL price) without thinking. But at $69 "regular price" you wouldn't have purchased it? Same price - only difference is that one is "half off".

This is what I
selig wrote:believe
selig wrote: I've heard others (and you) say, but I have to wonder: doesn't the ACTUAL price (rather than the fact it's "on sale") have ANY bering, or is it all about "the sale" here? Serious marketing question I've always wondered…

Yup, it's perceived value. The only thing I think is a mistake is introductory pricing. That gives your product a first impression, perceived value. Kind of sets it in stone. I will never think of Antidote being valued at $149, because it was intro priced at $99 and then it went on sale again for $99. And knowing that, I would never pay $149 for it. To me, it's a $99 RE and it would have to be less than $99 to be considered 'on sale.'

And look at the Uhbiks...
Most everyone knows they were intro priced at 50% of what they are now. 
And we were told that it was a limited time because it was a way accommodate folks who already owned the Uhbik VST (even though at $19 each it was more than the VST bundle and it does not accommodate for anybody entering the RE market after that point).
And having that lower price in place for the VST bundle also sets the value. And, early on in interviews, they had said that the Uhbiks would be $9 each! So, you have all these inconsistencies in setting value through pricing.

And you have a point. For instance, many people scoffed at Softube's Tube-Tech for $350. But you better believe that some of those same folks that found the price ridiculous and others who said they had no use for it, will jump on it for 50% off at $175, because "How could I possibly pass up this bargain?!"

selig
RE Developer

18 Mar 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
selig wrote:

This is what I
selig wrote: I've heard others (and you) say, but I have to wonder: doesn't the ACTUAL price (rather than the fact it's "on sale") have ANY bering, or is it all about "the sale" here? Serious marketing question I've always wondered…

joeyluck wrote:
Yup, it's perceived value. The only thing I think is a mistake is introductory pricing. That gives your product a first impression, perceived value. Kind of sets it in stone. I will never think of Antidote being valued at $149, because it was intro priced at $99 and then it went on sale again for $99. And knowing that, I would never pay $149 for it. To me, it's a $99 RE and it would have to be less than $99 to be considered 'on sale.'

And we were told that it was a limited time because it was a way accommodate folks who already owned the Uhbik VST (even though at $19 each it was more than the VST bundle and it does not accommodate for anybody entering the RE market after that point).
And having that lower price in place for the VST bundle also sets the value. And, early on in interviews, they had said that the Uhbiks would be $9 each! So, you have all these inconsistencies in setting value through pricing.

And you have a point. For instance, many people scoffed at Softube's Tube-Tech for $350. But you better believe that some of those same folks that found the price ridiculous and others who said they had no use for it, will jump on it for 50% off at $175, because "How could I possibly pass up this bargain?!"
This appears to suggest I should price my devices higher from the start and never put them on sale - what would be the exceptions to this? 

Selig Audio, LLC

ReasonUser

18 Mar 2015

I've been a Reason user since Record v1.0, and never purchased a RE before this sale.

Now I own all three... DARN YOU!!    :s0959:    :s0230:

joeyluck

18 Mar 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
selig wrote:

This is what I

joeyluck wrote:

selig wrote:
This appears to suggest I should price my devices higher from the start and never put them on sale - what would be the exceptions to this? 

No—still do sales! I think you priced well. Could have maybe priced higher with the praise you've received, but as a beginning developer establishing your name, how can you know? And how can you know what people are willing to pay?

I think Softube has a great strategy. Make great quality plugins and establish the value with a premium price. I would suggest to avoid intro pricing. But that's just my opinion on how it affects my personal perception of value.

And then, like Softube, do a couple BIG sales throughout the year. Sure, that may mean that people might wait for the sale, but they will likely be very successful sales.

I don't have much knowledge or market research to say what a reasonable price is for certain tools. So I guess the other part of the strategy is to still try and be competitive and not just set prices high only to achieve a higher perceived value.

I think you're doing everything pretty well :)

challism

18 Mar 2015

Now I think I understand the reason for this Selig 50% off sale.... because Propellerhead just put together these sweet bundles and alll Seligs stuff is all included on one of them (https://shop.propellerheads.se/bundle/outboard-rig/) along with a ton of other REs.  All for $199USD.  Crazy cheap!  Clearly, Selig knew about this and offered a last minute sale before the bundle hit the shop.  Smart move.  I would have done the same thing.  I sort of wish I could go back and hold off a bit longer, spending another $126 I could have also owned:
  • • 4Dyne
  • • Black Knight 5 Band Equalizer
  • • DCAM BusComp
  • • DCAM ChanComp
  • • DCAM EnvShaper
  • • EVE-AT4 3-Band Equalizer
  • • G8 Dynamic Gate
  • • Ozone Maximizer
  • • RE 200 Bass Enhancer
  • • RE 202 Exciter
  • • Selig DeEsser
  • • Selig Gain
  • • Selig Leveler
  • • Softube TSAR-1R Reverb
  • • Softube Valley People Dyna-Mite
  • • Synapse DR-1 Deep Reverb
Anywho, I am still happy with the recent Selig purchases I made, and think they were a great price.  Just wish I could do a "complete my bundle" option and grab the rest of these bad boys.  :/
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ReasonUser

18 Mar 2015

Yeah, feeling slightly silly now since I just purchased these less than 12 hours ago and didn't even download yet. 
I'm sure the Selig stuff is great for the price I paid, but I sure would have liked to have the whole bundle for $199.

joeyluck

18 Mar 2015

Be honest though, y'all don't really want this bundle, do ya? I think your wallet is telling you that you want this bundle.

You just scored the the Selig devices for 50% off. If you bought every Selig device on sale (all three) you spent a total of $73. 

This bundle is $199
The total cost of the remaining REs at their current prices (and accounting for the DCAM bundle) is $634

That is still a savings of $435!

Pull the trigger if you want those devices. Don't if ya don't ;)
But $73 is hardly a dent in that. Yesterday, you would have never imagined this bundle existing. It is a pretty ridiculous sale. But if the Selig devices weren't included, it wouldn't phase you. It would still be a crazy awesome deal for $199.

Just trying to help people see it on the bright side :)

For me, I just don't want those other devices. I bought the Selig devices at full price and those are the only ones in the bundle that interest me. 

selig
RE Developer

18 Mar 2015

ReasonUser wrote:Yeah, feeling slightly silly now since I just purchased these less than 12 hours ago and didn't even download yet. 
I'm sure the Selig stuff is great for the price I paid, but I sure would have liked to have the whole bundle for $199.
Sincere apologies for making you feel silly, and also for everyone who purchased at full price right before the recent price reduction - this is the down side to doing any promotions and something I have "avoided" in the past by simply not doing any promotions at all! ;)

Running a promotion includes the risk that there will likely be someone who is not happy because of the timing of their purchase, but I still don't enjoy knowing this happens. If I knew of a way of preventing this I would already be doing it!
Selig Audio, LLC

Exowildebeest

18 Mar 2015

lol @ all these discussions. Sales, advertising and the free market in general can really fuck with people's minds :D Creating desires, needs, and frustrations, building hopes and crushing dreams, doing calculations and having arguments...

joeyluck

18 Mar 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:lol @ all these discussions. Sales, advertising and the free market in general can really fuck with people's minds :D Creating desires, needs, and frustrations, building hopes and crushing dreams, doing calculations and having arguments...
Hey I'm just doing calculations to keep peoples hopes and dreams alive  :s0826:

ReasonUser

18 Mar 2015

I hear ya joeyluck, but Dyna-Mite and 4Dyne are the ones I'm mostly interested in. So it's still a savings, but not nearly as big as you mention.

Someone was saying there is a mandatory 14 day return policy? What about doing a chargeback on the creditcard and rebuying the $199 bundle? I don't think Props would have much ground to stand on since you purchased the same thing at a better price 12 hours later. There is something called "price protection" you know.

craven

18 Mar 2015

ReasonUser wrote: Someone was saying there is a mandatory 14 day return policy? What about doing a chargeback on the creditcard and rebuying the $199 bundle? I don't think Props would have much ground to stand on since you purchased the same thing at a better price 12 hours later. There is something called "price protection" you know.
not sure how this adapts to digital goods, but it should:
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-11-675_en.htm

point 4 is about the 14 days return policy
:ugeek:

joeyluck

18 Mar 2015

I hear ya. Maybe that angle will work for you? I'm not familiar... 

Would the bundle still have value to you otherwise? Would you be at a loss if you bought the bundle and could not get a refund on the other purchase? Because you could buy the bundle to show good faith and then maybe they would be more willing to refund your other purchase? Dunno...something to think about.

ReasonUser

18 Mar 2015

That would be the idea. Buy the bundle, then ask for the refund. If they don't give it, do the charge-back. I'd hate to have to do it though.
Can anyone confirm an instance where props actually refunded a RE purchase?

I guess the other option is to just wait for the individual plugs I'm interested in to go on sale again. That could be a while. Music is a hobby for me and even $199 is quite an expense as I'm sure it is for many of us.

joeyluck

18 Mar 2015

ReasonUser wrote:That would be the idea. Buy the bundle, then ask for the refund. If they don't give it, do the charge-back. I'd hate to have to do it though.
Can anyone confirm an instance where props actually refunded a RE purchase?

I guess the other option is to just wait for the individual plugs I'm interested in to go on sale again. That could be a while. Music is a hobby for me and even $199 is quite an expense. I didn't upgrade to Reason 8 because of the cost.

Softube does do a spring sale...
Not sure about 4Dyne. Is the developer still involved?

MDTerps2015

18 Mar 2015

challism wrote:Now I think I understand the reason for this Selig 50% off sale.... because Propellerhead just put together these sweet bundles and alll Seligs stuff is all included on one of them (https://shop.propellerheads.se/bundle/outboard-rig/) along with a ton of other REs.  All for $199USD.  Crazy cheap!  Clearly, Selig knew about this and offered a last minute sale before the bundle hit the shop.  Smart move.  I would have done the same thing.  I sort of wish I could go back and hold off a bit longer, spending another $126 I could have also owned:
  • • 4Dyne
  • • DCAM BusComp
  • • DCAM ChanComp
  • • DCAM EnvShaper
  • • G8 Dynamic Gate
  • • Ozone Maximizer
  • • RE 200 Bass Enhancer
  • • RE 202 Exciter
  • • Selig DeEsser
  • • Selig Gain
  • • Selig Leveler
Anywho, I am still happy with the recent Selig purchases I made, and think they were a great price.  Just wish I could do a "complete my bundle" option and grab the rest of these bad boys.  :/
I already have nine of those RE's. Buying the bundle would be of no use to me. Of the other two bundles, i have at least four in one and five in the other.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

Namahs Amrak

18 Mar 2015

Namahs Amrak wrote:
selig wrote:

This is what I

Well for me, the full price was above what I would pay on an impulse buy, so I *may* have been more likely to purchase at the sale price (if that price were the list price). However what drove my compulsion was specifically that it was on sale at 50% off. Being a 'sale', that would imply that it was a limited time discount, so for me, this offer closed the deal.

While you are canvassing people on marketing, I'll throw a question back at you. Have your weekly sales doubled (or more) since listing the sale? In effect, your development is done, and i would imagine that RE sales would level out after the initial release. Selling 100 devices at half price compared to 50 devices at full price, would surely amount to the same outcome for you, yes?

If of course you are experience a much bigger run of purchases than double, then you may want to consider that a 'sale' stimulates interest, and a longer term strategy might be to return the RE's to full price, and have another sale in 6-12 months.

It should be added that it wasn't only the 'sale' that compelled me to buy, I did have an idea for some time that I could actually use them for a purpose down the track. There have been other items that, regardless of the discount, I still did not buy (my 60% off the QUAD following the song challenge for example - that's a huge monetary discount, but I have no interest in the synth, so have never taken advantage of the coupon)
My Words are my ART

Namahs Amrak

18 Mar 2015

challism wrote:Now I think I understand the reason for this Selig 50% off sale.... because Propellerhead just put together these sweet bundles and alll Seligs stuff is all included on one of them (https://shop.propellerheads.se/bundle/outboard-rig/) along with a ton of other REs.  All for $199USD.  Crazy cheap!  Clearly, Selig knew about this and offered a last minute sale before the bundle hit the shop.  Smart move.  I would have done the same thing.  I sort of wish I could go back and hold off a bit longer, spending another $126 I could have also owned:
  • • 4Dyne
  • • DCAM BusComp
  • • DCAM ChanComp
  • • DCAM EnvShaper
  • • G8 Dynamic Gate
  • • Ozone Maximizer
  • • RE 200 Bass Enhancer
  • • RE 202 Exciter
  • • Selig DeEsser
  • • Selig Gain
  • • Selig Leveler
I'll say that if Selig's devices were never on sale, I would have snapped this bundle up in an instant. Now, however, that I have purchased his devices at 1/2 off, I will never buy this bundle, because overall it's devalued by last weeks purchase.
My Words are my ART

challism

19 Mar 2015

ReasonUser wrote:Yeah, feeling slightly silly now since I just purchased these less than 12 hours ago and didn't even download yet. 
selig wrote:
Sincere apologies for making you feel silly, and also for everyone who purchased at full price right before the recent price reduction - this is the down side to doing any promotions and something I have "avoided" in the past by simply not doing any promotions at all! ;)

Running a promotion includes the risk that there will likely be someone who is not happy because of the timing of their purchase, but I still don't enjoy knowing this happens. If I knew of a way of preventing this I would already be doing it!
No hard feelings here, GIles.  I'm a big fan of the REs I recently purchased from you, and I am happy that I got them for such a good price, at 50% off.  I think it was a smart move for you to put them on sale like that, right before this bundle hit the shop.  I do wish I had waited, though, instead of jumping on your sale immediately.  Because 10 days later and I would have had the rest of these REs for just another $126. 

Even if the Selig package wasn't included, this bundle price is ridiculous!

Gaja

19 Mar 2015

While you are canvassing people on marketing, I'll throw a question back at you. Have your weekly sales doubled (or more) since listing the sale? In effect, your development is done, and i would imagine that RE sales would level out after the initial release. Selling 100 devices at half price compared to 50 devices at full price, would surely amount to the same outcome for you, yes?

I understand developers pay the 30% of the original price, when doing sales, so technically 100 sales at 50% off would be less than 50 sales at full price.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

joeyluck

19 Mar 2015

Gaja wrote:

I understand developers pay the 30% of the original price, when doing sales, so technically 100 sales at 50% off would be less than 50 sales at full price.
I was under the impression that is only when they offer coupon codes. Otherwise, they are simply changing the price.

challism

19 Mar 2015

The percentage of what Props take is just that.... a percentage.  30% of $100, or 30% of $50 (on a 50% sale), or whatever.  It's the same percentage rate.  The Dev sets the price and Props take a percentage of that price.  At least that is the way I understand it.  I would imagine that coupon codes are probably handled differently and come 100% out of the Devs end, as Joeyluck said above.

Gaja

19 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:
Gaja wrote:

I was under the impression that is only when they offer coupon codes. Otherwise, they are simply changing the price.
Ah yes thats right. It was said about coupon codes not sales in general. My bad, sorry.
But on second thought the same logic could still be applied to sales, theoretically.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

• Information