Selig Audio Entire Product Line 50% off!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
kefkekeyser

11 Mar 2015

I'm demoing the Leveler. I use Reason 7.1. I added Leveler as a master inset FX. The peak is -1 db. I lower the master fader with 5db to get 6 db of headroom. I stop the audio, reset the Leveler, press play and it still gets -1 db as peak. Is this normal? Does that mean that the master insert FX comes before the master fader?

When will the 50% action end? I will probably buy Leveler, but can only do it on friday (issues with my internet banking). Will I still be able to get it at 50%?

Pepin

11 Mar 2015

kefkekeyser wrote:Does that mean that the master insert FX comes before the master fader?
Yes... If you need something after the master fader, you can place it between the Master Section and Audio I/O devices in the rack (though it's unlikely you'd need to do this). You can use Selig Gain or a line mixer to adjust gain throughout the signal chain.

WeaponizedCornflakes

11 Mar 2015

Of all the Selig devices the one I am most intrigued by is the humble gain. I mean I just don't think I fully understand its purpose. Many of the finer details, subtleties and technical aspects of mixing and mastering and are still new to me, however I can appreciate the idea of the simple mono button. Would a good purpose for this device be to place it at the very end of the signal chain, before the audio hardware output so that you can quickly check out how the mix sounds for mono compatibility? Would someone or Selig please elaborate on all of the possible uses of this device, both practical and the more obscure?

Theo.M

12 Mar 2015

WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:Of all the Selig devices the one I am most intrigued by is the humble gain. I mean I just don't think I fully understand its purpose. Many of the finer details, subtleties and technical aspects of mixing and mastering and are still new to me, however I can appreciate the idea of the simple mono button. Would a good purpose for this device be to place it at the very end of the signal chain, before the audio hardware output so that you can quickly check out how the mix sounds for mono compatibility? Would someone or Selig please elaborate on all of the possible uses of this device, both practical and the more obscure?
There are tons of uses for selig gain. The whole thing is that there are many functions that can be duplicated by extensive wiring using FSB stuff, but gain puts them all in an ultra light easy to use package.

I actually haven't used the mono button funnily enough but it seems it will be very suitable for what you ask. 

But there is so much more to it.

the real BIG thing, for everyone IMO, is that it uses less cpu than all the other meters that have a digital numerical readout but also does so much more.

I have gain on every single mixer channel even if i don't use it's other features for a particular channel. Cause it shows me, even when folded, the instantaneous max peak of the track. That is pure gold just for that function and i'd pay $20 just for that, seriously. It also autowires unlike the dedicated metering plugins (or can be overruled of course by holding down shift when creating one).

The reason metering is an rms vu style with imprecise digital dots. Gain in this case gives you peak metering as well, which is how all other daw's mixer channels work besides Reason. It can be very useful in some situations to have peak metering.

I use multi gains per track, for um, gain staging. It is simply the ultimate for this. I can control exactly how much level goes to my first effect insert, or when the effect doesn't have output or input gain of it's own, i can use selig gain to control that.

It has a good pan law unlike reason's ridiculius +6db one. (in other words reason is adding 6db of volume to a hard panned L/R split stereo sound, makes it hard to accurately use reason's mixer plugins to do separate stereo gain staging whilst still preserving the level of the original signal.)

What i don't like is that there still isn't an ultra simple version that has just the peak meter readout and left and right sliders. I have been begging for this since the product came out and it seems it just falls on deaf ears unfortunately. So to do any stereo level balancing i might need in gain i need to use two of them, and they are not ultra light on cpu. Sure i can get 150 gains overall on my old ish laptop, but if you think of that, and i use 50 per song, there's a third of my entire processing power just on gains. I could halve that in many cases by this simple addition. 

Selig, once again please consider this. Just a simple L/R gain plugin, no cv, no fancy features, just a numerical peak readout and two faders or virtual knobs. That would be amazing to have. Please.

The other thing of course is vca fader grouping. Currently reason has fader grouping of sorts by using output busses, but with gain you can do proper vca fader control. Now rather than make this post more marathon than it already is, if you need more info on that your best bet is a google search. Basically you can create mix groups and use one master fader to *relatively*affect all others connected to that Gain combi. It also includes a subtraction only mode (so maximum setting on gain is zero DB and you can remove volume) or boost and subtract like a regular DAW mixer.

Basically what Giles has done is gone and created an inexpensive plugin to mimic the stuff that we have in most other DAW's that aren't in Reason, without sacrificing ANY  of the amazing stuff that IS in reason, like the hardware style mixer.  It's like a "best of both worlds" scenario.

Anyway there's probably more but i shouldn't have even typed this much already as i am still recovering with like 30 stitches in my back and i am over stretching to type LOL.  But i hope there was at least something of use there. Cheers.

gak

12 Mar 2015

for 9 bucks, I bought it. I hope I'm not too late for demoing the "leveler"

InDeLiBLe

12 Mar 2015

Damn Selig! I didn't want to buy more RE's until props make them transferible ,but your deesser is so good. Buying

gak

12 Mar 2015

I'm not sure I have the patience to use leveler in it's "designed" form, but seems to me that for drums you can just boost the curve, maybe adjust the recovery to a bit slower, and instant improvement with the benefit of "leveling"

Accurate or lame? 

selig
RE Developer

12 Mar 2015

gak wrote:I'm not sure I have the patience to use leveler in it's "designed" form, but seems to me that for drums you can just boost the curve, maybe adjust the recovery to a bit slower, and instant improvement with the benefit of "leveling"

Accurate or lame? 
I prefer faster Recovery for drums myself, anywhere from 50-75 ms, or even higher for more over-the-top effects.

Keep in mind that at the default setting the Target is at 0 dB. One reason you may like this sound is simply because it's bringing the level up so much! The end result is that you'll create higher levels on these tracks, levels that are likely hot enough to push your mix into clipping. You are also destroying any gain structure you may have had in place that aims to keep overall levels in check.

The whole point of using the Target is to NOT increase your peak levels when adding compression, and therefore to retain your gain structure much easier than any other compressor. If you choose to use peaks of -12 dBFS as your reference level, all you really need to do is set the target @ -12 dB and then turn down the source if you see the red "over" LED light (which you shouldn't IF you use a consistent reference level of no more than -12 dBFS peaks for all tracks). Then you can be assured the output will not go above your reference level. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

12 Mar 2015

Thanks!

stratatonic

13 Mar 2015

Propellerhead just announced the Selig RE sale on their Facebook page today (along with a menacing pic of selig...) - a week after it was announced here on the forum. So was this limited time offer also a forum experiment to see how many ReasonTalk users would buy a Selig RE?

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2015

stratatonic wrote:Propellerhead just announced the Selig RE sale on their Facebook page today (along with a menacing pic of selig...) - a week after it was announced here on the forum. So was this limited time offer also a forum experiment to see how many ReasonTalk users would buy a Selig RE?
No - the entire price reduction concept is an experiment for me since I'm totally new to the business/marketing world. Mattais offered to help promote this event after hearing of it (they profit too, after all), and this is the result. 

As many know, this is something I have resisted in the past, mainly due to my preference for the simplicity of keeping the same prices over time (I guess I'm basically a lazy businessman, preferring instead to focus on creating the products and supporting them). 

Pitchblende helped come up with this idea, based on previous promotions they have done. I couldn't even tell you if we will do this again because it's too soon to tell. But one thing makes me VERY happy, and that is the overwhelming positive response to this promotion both on these forums and on Facebook etc. :s0221:  

But honestly, I'd still rather be spending all my free time thinking about new ideas and building new amazing tools for you fine folks to enjoy than running a promotion and tracking sales. I also prefer working in the studio to invoicing clients, but you gotta do both to survive! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

stratatonic

13 Mar 2015

selig wrote: But one thing makes me VERY happy, and that is the overwhelming positive response to this promotion both on these forums and on Facebook etc.
But honestly, I'd still rather be spending all my free time thinking about new ideas and building new amazing tools for you fine folks to enjoy than running a promotion and tracking sales.
Most of the sales of your REs up until Prop mentioned it would have been from ReasonTalk members and grapevine ... I don't recall seeing an email from Props either - although It seems be be hit and miss with them whether or not I get a newsletter.. :frown:  So you have some first hand info of the influence of ReasonTalk.

I hope the overwhelming positive response gave you guys good sales. I wonder, do lower RE prices translate into higher sales volume?...  ;)

selig
RE Developer

13 Mar 2015

stratatonic wrote:
selig wrote: But one thing makes me VERY happy, and that is the overwhelming positive response to this promotion both on these forums and on Facebook etc.
But honestly, I'd still rather be spending all my free time thinking about new ideas and building new amazing tools for you fine folks to enjoy than running a promotion and tracking sales.
stratatonic wrote: Most of the sales of your REs up until Prop mentioned it would have been from ReasonTalk members and grapevine ... I don't recall seeing an email from Props either - although It seems be be hit and miss with them whether or not I get a newsletter.. :frown:  So you have some first hand info of the influence of ReasonTalk.

I hope the overwhelming positive response gave you guys good sales. I wonder, do lower RE prices translate into higher sales volume?...  ;)
Yes, a lower price can result in higher volumes but that doesn't necessarily mean you will make more money (there are apparently MANY factors to consider here). Similarly, higher prices can result in a higher net profit because your core "fans" will still purchase at (almost) any price as long as it's reasonable to them.

This is why you just can't say "if you would lower your prices you'd make more money", but yet many folks have said exactly that (not to me, but to pricing in general). These folks are speaking from only their perspective, in that THEY would purchase it at a lower price.

Funny thing is, some will purchase only when on sale, no matter the price. So if I had priced the Leveler at $99 originally, many would purchase it if it went on sale for $69 (it's current pricing before the reduction). But those same individuals would simply NOT purchase it at the "regular" price of $69. Same price, but one is "one sale" so it appears to be a better bargain.

This is but one of the reasons the subject of pricing hurts my brain… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

snowcat

13 Mar 2015

Dang.  I jut tried out the elig DeEer and the freakin' thing really work.  At firt I thought it would be of little ue (I don't work with vocal) but I tried the DeEer on thi email, and it really blow me away.  Check thi out:  he ell eahell by the eahore!

Money well pent!
Invent the life you want to live.

Grinder One

13 Mar 2015

snowcat wrote:Dang.  I jut tried out the elig DeEer and the freakin' thing really work.  At firt I thought it would be of little ue (I don't work with vocal) but I tried the DeEer on thi email, and it really blow me away.  Check thi out:  he ell eahell by the eahore!

Money well pent!
Good but, it didn't work on your name so I have my doubts :)

WeaponizedCornflakes

13 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote: There are tons of uses for selig gain. The whole thing is that there are many functions that can be duplicated by extensive wiring using FSB stuff, but gain puts them all in an ultra light easy to use package.

I actually haven't used the mono button funnily enough but it seems it will be very suitable for what you ask. 

the real BIG thing, for everyone IMO, is that it uses less cpu than all the other meters that have a digital numerical readout but also does so much more.

I have gain on every single mixer channel even if i don't use it's other features for a particular channel. Cause it shows me, even when folded, the instantaneous max peak of the track. That is pure gold just for that function and i'd pay $20 just for that, seriously. It also autowires unlike the dedicated metering plugins (or can be overruled of course by holding down shift when creating one).

The reason metering is an rms vu style with imprecise digital dots. Gain in this case gives you peak metering as well, which is how all other daw's mixer channels work besides Reason. It can be very useful in some situations to have peak metering.

I use multi gains per track, for um, gain staging. It is simply the ultimate for this. I can control exactly how much level goes to my first effect insert, or when the effect doesn't have output or input gain of it's own, i can use selig gain to control that.

It has a good pan law unlike reason's ridiculous +6db one. (in other words reason is adding 6db of volume to a hard panned L/R split stereo sound, makes it hard to accurately use reason's mixer plugins to do separate stereo gain staging whilst still preserving the level of the original signal.)

What i don't like is that there still isn't an ultra simple version that has just the peak meter readout and left and right sliders. I have been begging for this since the product came out and it seems it just falls on deaf ears unfortunately. So to do any stereo level balancing i might need in gain i need to use two of them, and they are not ultra light on cpu. Sure i can get 150 gains overall on my old ish laptop, but if you think of that, and i use 50 per song, there's a third of my entire processing power just on gains. I could halve that in many cases by this simple addition. 

Selig, once again please consider this. Just a simple L/R gain plugin, no cv, no fancy features, just a numerical peak readout and two faders or virtual knobs. That would be amazing to have. Please.

The other thing of course is vca fader grouping. Currently reason has fader grouping of sorts by using output busses, but with gain you can do proper vca fader control. Now rather than make this post more marathon than it already is, if you need more info on that your best bet is a google search. Basically you can create mix groups and use one master fader to *relatively*affect all others connected to that Gain combi. It also includes a subtraction only mode (so maximum setting on gain is zero DB and you can remove volume) or boost and subtract like a regular DAW mixer.

Basically what Giles has done is gone and created an inexpensive plugin to mimic the stuff that we have in most other DAW's that aren't in Reason, without sacrificing ANY  of the amazing stuff that IS in reason, like the hardware style mixer.  It's like a "best of both worlds" scenario.

Anyway there's probably more but i shouldn't have even typed this much already as i am still recovering with like 30 stitches in my back and i am over stretching to type LOL.  But i hope there was at least something of use there. Cheers.
Great reply! Thanks, that's what I was looking for. This point I find particularly interesting: "It has a good pan law unlike reason's ridiculous +6db one. (in other words reason is adding 6db of volume to a hard panned L/R split stereo sound, makes it hard to accurately use reason's mixer plugins to do separate stereo gain staging whilst still preserving the level of the original signal.)"

Also, this point: "The reason metering is an rms vu style with imprecise digital dots. Gain in this case gives you peak metering as well, which is how all other daw's mixer channels work besides Reason. It can be very useful in some situations to have peak metering.

I've always wondered why the mixer channel meters in the rack view don't have numerical values like on the mixer. Is that what you are talking about with the "imprecise digital dots"?

Juan Rosa

13 Mar 2015

"Tha Curve" is already mine!  :crazy:

selig
RE Developer

14 Mar 2015

I should clarify that the 14:2 and Line Mixer both have a +6 dB sides pan law, but the SSL has a +3 dB sides law. Either way, it's the "plus" part that bothers me because it's not used in the analog world. Here's the potential issue - a 0 dBFS mono signal will be 0 dB as expected when panned center, but if you pan it left or right you INCREASE the gain and go OVER 0 dB!

But there's another issue, one I doubt most are even that aware of. The main panner is NOT a panner, it's a crossfader. Put it in the middle and you hear both left and right signals equally. Put it to one side and you hear ONLY that side - the opposite channel is GONE!

Try this: create a ReDrum with kick centered, and with a hat panned hard to one side. Now in the SSL mixer, pan the signal to the opposite side - where's the high hat? Gone, that's where!

In other words, you're not just panning the signal, you are attenuating one channel totally as you pan towards the other side. The practical implications are that if you pan 50% to either side you should put the Width to 50%. If you pan hard to one side, put the width at ZERO so you don't loose the other channel! This also means that what was in the center will get softer than the sides, changing the balance of the mix. While this may seem counter intuitive at first because the gain is boosted as the signal is panned, you can't forget that in the center a sound is naturally 6 dB louder if not adjusted (since there are two 'copies' of the signal) but when you pan to one side it's only 3 dB louder (pan law = +3 dB at the sides). This means center panned sounds are 3 dB softer than side panned sounds when using this panner in this manner (hey, it rhymes!).  

This of course is only true for stereo signal, and this is exactly how the other mixers in Reason work as well, which I find difficult to deal with.

So I created the alternative I'm used to using from the analog days, with is a separate panner for each channel which allows more flexibility IMO. If you prefer the Reason panner, it's still there! ;)

Selig Audio, LLC

Theo.M

14 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote: There are tons of uses for selig gain. The whole thing is that there are many functions that can be duplicated by extensive wiring using FSB stuff, but gain puts them all in an ultra light easy to use package.

It has a good pan law unlike reason's ridiculous +6db one. (in other words reason is adding 6db of volume to a hard panned L/R split stereo sound, makes it hard to accurately use reason's mixer plugins to do separate stereo gain staging whilst still preserving the level of the original signal.)

WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:
WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:Great reply! Thanks, that's what I was looking for. This point I find particularly interesting:
WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:"
WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:It has a good pan law unlike reason's ridiculous
WeaponizedCornflakes wrote: +6db one. (in other words reason is adding 6db of volume to a hard panned L/R split stereo sound, makes it hard to accurately use reason's mixer plugins to do separate stereo gain staging whilst still preserving the level of the original signal.)"
[/size]
WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:Also, this point:
WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:"
WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:The reason metering is an rms vu style with imprecise digital dots. Gain in this case gives you peak metering as well, which is how all other daw's mixer channels work besides Reason. It can be very useful in some situations to have peak metering.

WeaponizedCornflakes wrote:I've always wondered why the mixer channel meters in the rack view don't have numerical values like on the mixer. Is that what you are talking about with the "imprecise digital dots"?
[/size]

Hi there, it seems I made a mistake and the SSL is +3db pan law as Giles has corrected me, but honestly like him, i too find that awkward. I have always worked with a -3db pan law or 0. Never a plus.
What i mean by imprecise digital dots is quantised segmented metering.. the meters themselves are not high resolution, if that makes sense.

There are no numerical meters anywhere in reason.. so I guess I am confused by your latter question as to "why don't the rack mixer channels have numerical values like the mixer". Can you clarify further?

When i was talking numerical values, from this end I meant that selig gain shows you a peak number, which shows the loudest peak in DB that the signal hits at any one point. Reason's mixer metering is "rms" style which is like a continual average, also can be useful, but it's not precise enough in it's resolution, so i use the red rock vu meter instead (analog needles) to get my averages in realtime, and selig gain for the PEAK metering which is simply showing both with numbers and the meter itself, the peak level of the signal at that point. Hope that makes sense.

None of reason's factory mixing makes sense to me at all, level wise. In fact, personal opinion, i think Reason has the worst mixer (metering wise) of any daw available, sorry to say. And if one uses an offset (preferences on the rack big meter), it doesn't seem to match correctly to offsets i set in other meters - so i have just stopped using it altogether.

I set the red rock VU at the bob kats K14, and use gain for my peak metering.

WeaponizedCornflakes

14 Mar 2015

Theo.M wrote: There are no numerical meters anywhere in reason.. so I guess I am confused by your latter question as to "why don't the rack mixer channels have numerical values like the mixer". Can you clarify further?
I feel like such a bone head. After reading my own posts I face palm myself. I can see why my question was vague. I should have said "why don't the Rack mixer channel meters have numerical values like the corresponding SSL Main Mixer Channel Strip Fader Meter"? And by numerical values, I mean 12, 8, 4, 0, 10, 20, 40, 56, etc...

Once again, I'm probably asking the wrong question or wording it wrong, so please excuse my noobzor tomfoolery.

Image  Image
Attachments
SSL_mixer_channel.jpg
SSL_mixer_channel.jpg (10.6 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

gak

16 Mar 2015

I bought "leveler" too. Frankly, I think it's a "can't loose" situation. 

Don't know how much longer this will be available................

tt_lab

16 Mar 2015

I completed my collection with the deesser...was on my list since day 1.
Great offer! 
Thanx Giles

ClassickHitz

17 Mar 2015

stratatonic wrote:Propellerhead just announced the Selig RE sale on their Facebook page today (along with a menacing pic of selig...) - a week after it was announced here on the forum. So was this limited time offer also a forum experiment to see how many ReasonTalk users would buy a Selig RE?
selig wrote:
No - the entire price reduction concept is an experiment for me since I'm totally new to the business/marketing world. Mattais offered to help promote this event after hearing of it (they profit too, after all), and this is the result. 

As many know, this is something I have resisted in the past, mainly due to my preference for the simplicity of keeping the same prices over time (I guess I'm basically a lazy businessman, preferring instead to focus on creating the products and supporting them). 

Pitchblende helped come up with this idea, based on previous promotions they have done. I couldn't even tell you if we will do this again because it's too soon to tell. But one thing makes me VERY happy, and that is the overwhelming positive response to this promotion both on these forums and on Facebook etc. :s0221:  

But honestly,
selig wrote:I'd still rather be spending all my free time thinking about new ideas and building new amazing tools for you fine folks to enjoy than running a promotion and tracking sales.
selig wrote: I also prefer working in the studio to invoicing clients, but you gotta do both to survive! ;)
As a sales/marketing professional this is the #1 thing I hear from clients of all business categories. And it's quite understandable. 

However this part of the business is a tool and no one particularly likes the tool. They like what the tool will provide or do for them which is to create a positive spike in sales or word of mouth buzz and if they're luck maybe even both.  

When running a company sometimes you find yourself wearing many hats taking you away from the passion that drives you to do whatever it is you're doing in the first place. But you can't have one without the other and still stay relevant. 

Glad to see Selig Audio, LLC implemented a product incentive. Because of it, I'm now the owner of both the Leveler and DeEsser.

Thanks!

MarkTarlton

17 Mar 2015

selig wrote:

But honestly,
selig wrote:I'd still rather be spending all my free time thinking about new ideas and building new amazing tools for you fine folks to enjoy than running a promotion and tracking sales.
selig wrote: I also prefer working in the studio to invoicing clients, but you gotta do both to survive! ;)
ClassickHitz wrote:
As a sales/marketing professional this is the #1 thing I hear from clients of all business categories. And it's quite understandable. 

However this part of the business is a tool and no one particularly likes the tool. They like what the tool will provide or do for them which is to create a positive spike in sales or word of mouth buzz and if they're luck maybe even both.  

When running a company sometimes you find yourself wearing many hats taking you away from the passion that drives you to do whatever it is you're doing in the first place. But you can't have one without the other and still stay relevant. 

Glad to see Selig Audio, LLC implemented a product incentive. Because of it, I'm now the owner of both the Leveler and DeEsser.

Thanks!
I scored all 3 of the RE's(leveler, deesser, gain) it was a good time to buy em all!

Namahs Amrak

18 Mar 2015

selig wrote: No - the entire price reduction concept is an experiment for me since I'm totally new to the business/marketing world.
By way of direct feedback to a developer, I will say that I purchased 'Leveler' & 'DeEsser' purely because they were on sale. I have often thought that they may be of use for the podcast editing jobs I sometimes do. I still don't quite know how they can be applied for my purposes, and I don't think I have even installed them yet - but because of the sale you have two purchases, where there would otherwise have not been a sale (to me) if they were at full price.

My Words are my ART

• Information