Audiomatic: Wash setting bug?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
childofsaturn

03 Mar 2015

I was playing around with Audiomatic and some percussion sounds tonight and noticed what might be a bug. Any time a sound runs through it, at the end of the transient there's an odd distorted pop. I tried several types of sounds and it occurred with them all. It's pretty irritating and I can't imagine it was the desired effect of the preset. If anyone else doesn't mind trying it, I had the Wetness all the way up and it seemed strongest with the Transform knob all the way to the left, but it still made the sound when to the right also.

Would this be worth reporting to PH?

selig
RE Developer

03 Mar 2015

childofsaturn wrote:I was playing around with Audiomatic and some percussion sounds tonight and noticed what might be a bug. Any time a sound runs through it, at the end of the transient there's an odd distorted pop. I tried several types of sounds and it occurred with them all. It's pretty irritating and I can't imagine it was the desired effect of the preset. If anyone else doesn't mind trying it, I had the Wetness all the way up and it seemed strongest with the Transform knob all the way to the left, but it still made the sound when to the right also.

Would this be worth reporting to PH?
It's the nature of a bit crush type effect. Low bit depths will always have a "tail" on sounds with a decay (low frequency drums are the worst). This is because by the time the soft tale of the sound has decayed there are very few bits being used. This was a common artifact on the old Fairlight CMI, mostly heard with drum sounds. The only way around it is to not use a bit crusher effect (or not use a low bit depth).

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Last Alternative

03 Mar 2015

Or to automate the level so it fades out in time before the pop. Yeah it is annoying when you don't want that shit in your music. Sad because I really like that wash sound. It give a sort of breathing element to anything.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Ostermilk

03 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:Try 50% or less wetness.
Yup, that should make your whites come out whiter and get rid of the more stubborn stains.

;)

joeyluck

03 Mar 2015

joeyluck wrote:Try 50% or less wetness.
Ostermilk wrote:
Yup, that should make your whites come out whiter and get rid of the more stubborn stains.

;)
Exactly. You'll want to put it through the dryer as well.
And use dryer sheets!

challism

03 Mar 2015

If you want a lot of extra work, you could bounce the track to audio and then remove/mute the pops manually.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

childofsaturn

03 Mar 2015

Thanks for the info everyone! I didn't realize it was bit crushing, though that makes sense. I will check it out with decreased wetness.

For samples similar in release length, I may use Charlotte or another cv tool in a combinator to modulate the Dry/Wet knob's release (at least I assume that's possible). If I settle on some sounds, I may resample and edit like challism suggested. If none of that works then screw it, I'm throwing bleach in the wash!

edit: Or maybe.. just maybe.. I could set a percentage of the Dry/Wet to the mod wheel in a combinator or a knob and simply automate it at the end of the samples I don't like the effect on.. yeah, that'll do the trick.

gak

03 Mar 2015

That doesn't seem right to me though. I'd report it and see what they say.

joeyluck

03 Mar 2015

gak wrote:That doesn't seem right to me though. I'd report it and see what they say.
Well Selig wrote the patch and he has responded here...

gak

03 Mar 2015

How did I miss that? Sorry.

childofsaturn

04 Mar 2015

I found a trick that works well for me, at least in this specific instance. There may be a more efficient way someone more seasoned is aware of, but here's what I did.

The ingredients:
Kong, Blamsoft Polymodular System CV Merger, CV Mutant and Audiomatic.

The method:
I routed all 16 gate outs of the Kong into the CV Merger, with one cable merging them all and connected to the Gate CV In of CV Mutant. I then connected the uppermost CV Mutant Gate Out and the Dry/Wet CV Input of the Audiomatic. I set the Input Display of CV Mutant to Trigger and used it as an envelope that causes the Audiomatic to fade from Wet to Dry every time a note is released and there's no further input. Works perfectly for me!

It's late and I should be in bed, so forgive me if I didn't explain this well. I hope this helps anyone else that was trying to solve this problem or a similar one.

challism

04 Mar 2015

childofsaturn wrote:I found a trick that works well for me, at least in this specific instance. There may be a more efficient way someone more seasoned is aware of, but here's what I did.

The ingredients:
Kong, Blamsoft Polymodular System CV Merger, CV Mutant and Audiomatic.

The method:
I routed all 16 gate outs of the Kong into the CV Merger, with one cable merging them all and connected to the Gate CV In of CV Mutant. I then connected the uppermost CV Mutant Gate Out and the Dry/Wet CV Input of the Audiomatic. I set the Input Display of CV Mutant to Trigger and used it as an envelope that causes the Audiomatic to fade from Wet to Dry every time a note is released and there's no further input. Works perfectly for me!

It's late and I should be in bed, so forgive me if I didn't explain this well. I hope this helps anyone else that was trying to solve this problem or a similar one.
Sounds like a great solution to me... and a good use for one of my favorite REs, (I think it's a bit underrated) CV Mutant!
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

tibah

04 Mar 2015

Don't want to hijack, but - anyone noticed that the tape is bugged? To be precise, the dry/wet will introduce phasing (latency issue between the dry and the wet signal). I could understand that if used in a different way, but we are speaking about a dedicated dry/wet parameter in the device itself and maybe my mind thinks this should work as intended, but it gets simply useless for the tape setting. Rather odd.

selig
RE Developer

04 Mar 2015

IchMensch wrote:Don't want to hijack, but - anyone noticed that the tape is bugged? To be precise, the dry/wet will introduce phasing (latency issue between the dry and the wet signal). I could understand that if used in a different way, but we are speaking about a dedicated dry/wet parameter in the device itself and maybe my mind thinks this should work as intended, but it gets simply useless for the tape setting. Rather odd.
It's the filter (and possibly EQ) that causes this. No way around it really - try it with the Pulveriser's filter and you'll hear a similar thing.

(damn, only programmed TWO patches on ART, and both are mentioned here as being "buggy"!!!)
:)
[EDIT: btw, I'm working on a version of Wash that allows you to control the individual parameters, like being able to turn off the Bit Crush effect. I'm not able to match all the elements perfectly, but it will be close - stay tuned.]
Selig Audio, LLC

Biolumin3sc3nt

04 Mar 2015

This is off topic of said patches, but thanx again guys for bringing up the topic of ART. I haven't used it in quite a while, and was making a somewhat minimal glitch-esque track tonight . Decided to throw in the ART all over the place, along with that new Revolution RE and I had a smile on my face the whole time! Sometimes ya gotta revisit those oldies but goodies.

• Information