Reveal Sound Spire RE confirmed in the works!!!!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
miscend

12 Jan 2017

The knobs are quite big. I'm not a fan of synths with tiny knobs. A lot of Rack extensions take the piss by making the knobs so TINY.

Breach The Sky

12 Jan 2017

I don't like how the layout looks right now. I would scale all the sections down then move transpose and the m1-m4 knobs to the side like the vst version. Then you could fit a second custom window thing beside the current one. I guess as it is now all the effects, the arp, the steppers and all the modulation matrix pages resides in the same window? If you had two you could spread them out at least...
Last edited by Breach The Sky on 12 Jan 2017, edited 1 time in total.

dioxide

12 Jan 2017

miscend wrote:The knobs are quite big. I'm not a fan of synths with tiny knobs. A lot of Rack extensions take the piss by making the knobs so TINY.
I'm the opposite, I think everything should be in scale with Subtractor. I blame Propellerhead for not allowing the Rack to be scaled, as if it is still 2002.

EnochLight

12 Jan 2017

Breach The Sky wrote:I don't like how the layout looks right now. I would scale all the sections down then move transpose and the m1-m4 knobs to the side like the vst version. Then you could fit a second custom window thing beside the current one. I guess as it is now all the effects, the arp, the steppers and all the modulation matrix pages resides in the same window? If you had two you could spread them out at least...
I agree. While I sort of like the larger rotaries and sliders as a result of the wacky scale, it feels out of place in the rack. Scale it down like you suggest, and they could easily fit more without having to resort to re-designing so much.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

12 Jan 2017

dioxide wrote:
miscend wrote:The knobs are quite big. I'm not a fan of synths with tiny knobs. A lot of Rack extensions take the piss by making the knobs so TINY.
I'm the opposite, I think everything should be in scale with Subtractor. I blame Propellerhead for not allowing the Rack to be scaled, as if it is still 2002.
The big knobs are part of the appeal of Spire I think even the VST. They just beg to tweaked! Spire would look completely different if they scaled the knobs and sliders to Subtractor sized ones.

Subtractor itself is absolutely fine when I turn down the screen resolution. But at my screen's native resolution there are usability issues. Really we should have some scaling options for the rack as 4K and 5K resolutions are soon to standard.

dioxide

12 Jan 2017

Yeah PH should have added scaleability in the Rack by now. The native devices are pure 1998 when the web was full of pixel artwork.

EnochLight

12 Jan 2017

True. Though I use Spire full-screen in Studio One with its GUI set to 150%, if it's set to its regular 100% setting, it almost fits into Reason's rack actually. Honestly, if they just cut the pitch and mod wheel and the 4 mod buttons (or placed them on the bottom and increased the device rack height), it would all fit in Reason's rack without them having to do a GUI redesign (RE SDK limitations aside):
SpireRE.jpg
SpireRE.jpg (622.05 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Breach The Sky

12 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:
Breach The Sky wrote:I don't like how the layout looks right now. I would scale all the sections down then move transpose and the m1-m4 knobs to the side like the vst version. Then you could fit a second custom window thing beside the current one. I guess as it is now all the effects, the arp, the steppers and all the modulation matrix pages resides in the same window? If you had two you could spread them out at least...
I agree. While I sort of like the larger rotaries and sliders as a result of the wacky scale, it feels out of place in the rack. Scale it down like you suggest, and they could easily fit more without having to resort to re-designing so much.
Yes and the knobs and sliders wouldn't shrink that much in scale either right? They would still be larger than on subtractor, I think... They're gigantic right now anyway.

joeyluck

13 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:True. Though I use Spire full-screen in Studio One with its GUI set to 150%, if it's set to its regular 100% setting, it almost fits into Reason's rack actually. Honestly, if they just cut the pitch and mod wheel and the 4 mod buttons (or placed them on the bottom and increased the device rack height), it would all fit in Reason's rack without them having to do a GUI redesign (RE SDK limitations aside):

SpireRE.jpg
I would suggest making a mockup and send it to them.

Keep in mind that it has to fit within whole rack units. Not too tall and not shy of a full rack unit.

What I see now is an exact match ratio-wise of their current GUI (the section, the knobs, the sliders; are all the same size and distance from each other as they are in the AU/VST). As in, if you were take just that section, it fits right over top of what they show in the Reason rack currently. Of course, the AU/VST is showing two envelopes at the same time vs. the RE showing an envelope and LFO (because of the different groupings)

I'm just guessing that there's a little more to consider. I think it's not as easy as showing them their own GUI...they've seen that one plenty :puf_smile: My guess is something is going to have to shift a bit more from the original, sections will have to skew and be slightly different ratios. I haven't played around with it, so not sure. But I would give it a shot if you feel strongly about it.

EnochLight

13 Jan 2017

joeyluck wrote:
EnochLight wrote:True. Though I use Spire full-screen in Studio One with its GUI set to 150%, if it's set to its regular 100% setting, it almost fits into Reason's rack actually. Honestly, if they just cut the pitch and mod wheel and the 4 mod buttons (or placed them on the bottom and increased the device rack height), it would all fit in Reason's rack without them having to do a GUI redesign (RE SDK limitations aside):

SpireRE.jpg
I would suggest making a mockup and send it to them.

Keep in mind that it has to fit within whole rack units. Not too tall and not shy of a full rack unit.

What I see now is an exact match ratio-wise of their current GUI (the section, the knobs, the sliders; are all the same size and distance from each other as they are in the AU/VST). As in, if you were take just that section, it fits right over top of what they show in the Reason rack currently. Of course, the AU/VST is showing two envelopes at the same time vs. the RE showing an envelope and LFO (because of the different groupings)

I'm just guessing that there's a little more to consider. I think it's not as easy as showing them their own GUI...they've seen that one plenty :puf_smile: My guess is something is going to have to shift a bit more from the original, sections will have to skew and be slightly different ratios. I haven't played around with it, so not sure. But I would give it a shot if you feel strongly about it.
I'm fairly certain I'm not the first to suggest this, but a mockup would be cool. Too bad my photo editing skills suck ass LOL! I'll keep pointing them to this thread - I'm hoping they'll get involved here at Reasontalk at some point, or at least the Rack Extenionists FB group.

scratchnsnifff

13 Jan 2017

I believe This was already asked but will there be a patch converter so people can get the commercial spire soundbanks? Does anyone know of this?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

chk071

13 Jan 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:I believe This was already asked but will there be a patch converter so people can get the commercial spire soundbanks? Does anyone know of this?
That is a very good question. You should put that forth to the developers: http://www.reveal-sound.com/knowledge.php?49 Allow a couple of days for the reply, they often react a bit delayed. They always got back to me though.

If i had to guess though, then i'd say they already thought about, and figured something out. They live from the sales of the soundbanks on their site, so, i hardly think they would let that slip through their fingers. There's a gazillion sound banks for Spire too.
:reason: :rebirth:

EnochLight

13 Jan 2017

scratchnsnifff wrote:I believe This was already asked but will there be a patch converter so people can get the commercial spire soundbanks? Does anyone know of this?
The official answer I received was "we'll do our best". The logical answer is: very likely. It's technically not that complicated at all (Rob Papen has a patch convertor for Predator RE - VST), and Reveal Sound runs an aftermarket patch library store that offsets some of their cost of operating. They have no revenue model to speak of aside from selling Spire licenses and patch libraries for Spire, so it would be unwise of them to release Spire as an RE and then cut off the new customers from their own store.

I'm willing to wager we'll see some sort of patch converter, at least from the VST/AU/AAX to RE.

scratchnsnifff

13 Jan 2017

Thanks! I thought I also heard that RP predator had a patch converter, but yeah I would have assumed they would do the same I know il but spire either way lol as long as I can follow YouTube tutorials and such seems like it's the same from the video
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

Creativemind

13 Jan 2017

SpireRE.jpg
Yes it's not much bigger really, scaling down would only need to be fractional.

I think they've done it to be more representative of the vst though, just A/B'd the pics of both but yeah think it may have been better to just shrink them a bit, just to the point where it would allow it to fit.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

fieldframe
RE Developer

13 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote:I'm fairly certain I'm not the first to suggest this, but a mockup would be cool. Too bad my photo editing skills suck ass LOL! I'll keep pointing them to this thread - I'm hoping they'll get involved here at Reasontalk at some point, or at least the Rack Extenionists FB group.

I did do something along these lines earlier in the thread:
fieldframe wrote:Some thoughts on the UI scale:

Here's what it would look like if the entire VST UI (SDK-specific tab layouts notwithstanding) were dropped into the rack. It's actually pretty good - Text could be blown up slightly (maybe go all caps), but most of the controls are comparable to those on its neighbors.

Here it is with the macro bar from the left removed. At this point, the knobs are relatively big, but not huge. They're all about the size of the master volume knob on Thor, and it still lets Reveal fit the Stages section in on the right.

Lastly, the scale they're currently at. Everything is gigantic! The smallest knob on Spire is bigger than the biggest knob on Thor. Even if Reveal can somehow fit all the controls in at this scale, Spire just looks odd and out-of-place in the rack.

EnochLight

13 Jan 2017

fieldframe wrote:
EnochLight wrote:I'm fairly certain I'm not the first to suggest this, but a mockup would be cool. Too bad my photo editing skills suck ass LOL! I'll keep pointing them to this thread - I'm hoping they'll get involved here at Reasontalk at some point, or at least the Rack Extenionists FB group.

I did do something along these lines earlier in the thread:
fieldframe wrote:Some thoughts on the UI scale:

Here's what it would look like if the entire VST UI (SDK-specific tab layouts notwithstanding) were dropped into the rack. It's actually pretty good - Text could be blown up slightly (maybe go all caps), but most of the controls are comparable to those on its neighbors.

Here it is with the macro bar from the left removed. At this point, the knobs are relatively big, but not huge. They're all about the size of the master volume knob on Thor, and it still lets Reveal fit the Stages section in on the right.

Lastly, the scale they're currently at. Everything is gigantic! The smallest knob on Spire is bigger than the biggest knob on Thor. Even if Reveal can somehow fit all the controls in at this scale, Spire just looks odd and out-of-place in the rack.
Nice! I remember seeing that - thanks. I almost feel like we should keep reposting and bumping this and keep pointing Reveal Sound to this thread. That's hugely illustrative. Nice work, man!

joeyluck

13 Jan 2017

EnochLight wrote: Nice! I remember seeing that - thanks. I almost feel like we should keep reposting and bumping this and keep pointing Reveal Sound to this thread. That's hugely illustrative. Nice work, man!
But my point being that you have to account for their approach for the RE and whole rack units. For instance,if you simply resize the AU/VST GUI to fit the width of the rack, it is 5 2/3 units tall. It would have to be 5 or 6. But again, that's using the AU/VST GUI.

EnochLight

13 Jan 2017

joeyluck wrote:
EnochLight wrote: Nice! I remember seeing that - thanks. I almost feel like we should keep reposting and bumping this and keep pointing Reveal Sound to this thread. That's hugely illustrative. Nice work, man!
But my point being that you have to account for their approach for the RE and whole rack units. For instance,if you simply resize the AU/VST GUI to fit the width of the rack, it is 5 2/3 units tall. It would have to be 5 or 6. But again, that's using the AU/VST GUI.
Then they could make it 6U (or larger), and easily accommodate any other buttons/panels needed. Again, RE SDK limitations aside... ;)

svenh

16 Jan 2017

Very interested in Spire for Reason. Is there anyone that knows exactly what will be missing in the Reason version compared to the original?

chk071

16 Jan 2017

This had me totally confused for a second. Then i saw that the replies i imagined to have happened happened in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7497486&start=225

Phew. No Alzheimer. :)
:reason: :rebirth:

svenh

16 Jan 2017

Sorry for my ignorance: I understand that the RE GUI is different from the VST version, is there anyone who knows if the functionality is the same? Will there be any missing features in the VST version?

EnochLight

16 Jan 2017

svenh wrote:Very interested in Spire for Reason. Is there anyone that knows exactly what will be missing in the Reason version compared to the original?
Like chk071 said, the most recent thread is here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7497486&start=225

But to answer your question, Reveal Sound has stated that the RE will have the exact same features as the VST/AU/AAX, but there may be changes made in how they are accessed/presented depending on the limitations outlined by the RE SDK.

@Admins: perhaps lock this thread so it doesn't keep popping up in opposition to the most recent?

EnochLight

16 Jan 2017

svenh wrote:Sorry for my ignorance: I understand that the RE GUI is different from the VST version, is there anyone who knows if the functionality is the same? Will there be any missing features in the VST version?
Reveal Sound has gone on record and stated that the RE will possess all of the features that are in the VST/AU/AAX, however; how they are accessed/presented may differ taking into consideration there are limitations in place to accommodate the rack design in Reason. That said, be patient. ;) :D

svenh

16 Jan 2017

Great - thanks! :D

• Information