Help me understand Red rock Orchestral Reverb

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Marketblandings

26 Feb 2015

Hi folks,

I like the sound and price of the RR Orchestral Hall reverb - but am totally puzzled by the functionality of it.

Putting it into the chain immediately drops overall volume like crazy. Moving the dry/wet towards "wet" makes it even quieter to almost disappearing.

The input knob on the left _sort of_ makes up for this but only part way and can lead to distortion.
And why don't the meters on the left register this input change?

Wha?

lowpryo

26 Feb 2015

if you want to keep your sound loud and up front, you should use reverb as a 'send' effect instead of inserted in the chain. set it up as a send effect, turn it to 100% wet, and increase the send knob on that track. that way you get your original sound + the reverb, instead of reverb only (which is quieter and washy)

Marketblandings

26 Feb 2015

I figured as much but wasn't sure. Usually it's not such an issue because the wet/dry knob on the device can act as the send/return.
Not on this particular device though. The dry/wet knob is from Mars.

Italophile

28 Feb 2015

It may be worth checking the RV7000 Patch Book that was part of the documentation for Reason 3. The descriptions of several of the patches reveal that they were 'inspired' by the Lexicon unit that this RE is apparently based on.

A search on Google for RV7000 patch book should help you find a pdf copy.

Marketblandings

28 Feb 2015

Excellent suggestion Italophile! I have been trying to locate docs on several Reason devices.
Thanks for news I can use.

miahluvdd

28 Feb 2015

That's a great book and thanks for the tip!!! Are there any other similar books that were put out for the older reason devices? I got on board with 6.0 and that patch list is handy!!

Italophile

01 Mar 2015

AFAIK that was the only additional documentation the Props produced.

If you head over to FlatpackSounds and register for an account you can get access to some free refills that were originally made available only to registered owners of their Flatpack refills. One of the free refills is 25 patches for the RV7000. To quote their description:
"Using our classic outboard reverb processors as inspiration, we set about replicating our favourite settings from hardware such as Eventide's H3000,TC Electronic's M6000 & Lexicon's PCM90 and legendary 480L."

• Information