GClip Waveshaping Clipper in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

EnochLight

23 Feb 2015

This has been a free VST plug-in for some time. It's too bad they didn't spend some time on the GUI and do an interactive custom display since they're charging for it as an RE. But... not like $9 USD is a lot to ask.

Anyway, nice to see a VST port to RE! :)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Concep

23 Feb 2015

Or, they could have made it a 1u size.  Not a lot needed from the UI to take up a 2u slot.  Has anybody used the VST?  I'm curious what people mainly use it for.

joeyluck

23 Feb 2015

Sounds great!

Even if the VST is free, can't complain about $9...

Maybe they can get in touch with someone like Lectric Panda for pointers on making a better display in the RE format  ;)

VST screenshot:

Last Alternative

24 Feb 2015

A tutorial would be nice. I think PH should make RE tutorials mandatory. I can read about stuff but always prefer to see it in action.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

bouwie

24 Feb 2015

I found this http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YeJWqfpOoLo
it's for vst but works the same.

bouwie

24 Feb 2015

joeyluck wrote:Sounds great!

Even if the VST is free, can't complain about $9...

Maybe they can get in touch with someone like Lectric Panda for pointers on making a better display in the RE format  ;)

VST screenshot:
display in vst is better than RE? Hopefully an update?

Exowildebeest

24 Feb 2015

Last Alternative wrote:A tutorial would be nice. I think PH should make RE tutorials mandatory. I can read about stuff but always prefer to see it in action.
Even more demands on developers; even less of a free market? Please no.

Why one would need a tutorial, or an "SDK2 display" for a device as simple as this is unclear to me.

Anyway, interesting developer this is. Hopefully they'll do this one too: http://www.gvst.co.uk/ggrain.htm

Granular stuff is always cool :)

Theo.M

25 Feb 2015

hmm disappointed, the vst shows where the clipping occurs, they have removed that yet charged for it. 

Shokstar

01 Mar 2015

I like this little tool, it is a nice edition for my rack :)  

it is really nice to add some crunch on drums.  :s0221:

EnochLight

01 Mar 2015

I'm really curious if something like this can be done in the current SDK.  Synapse Audio and Ochen K have shown that a decent spectral analysis can be done (see GQ7 and Carve).  Is what's shown above really that different?   
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ProfessaKaos

01 Mar 2015

EnochLight wrote:Image 
I'm really curious if something like this can be done in the current SDK.  Synapse Audio and Ochen K have shown that a decent spectral analysis can be done (see GQ7 and Carve).  Is what's shown above really that different?   
I would think so if this is possible

Reason 12 & 11.3 Suite PC- Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus ROG CROSSHAIR Dark Hero VIII, 64GB G.Skill 3600C16 RAM, 980 Pro Samsung M.2, RTX3060.

https://soundcloud.com/juo-jual
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNLcE ... DjhSI16TqQ

Jagwah

01 Mar 2015

Obviously it can, but I think these guys are just testing the waters.

EnochLight

01 Mar 2015

ProfessaKaos wrote:
ProfessaKaos wrote:
I would think so if this is possible
EnochLight wrote:I'm really curious if something like this can be done in the current SDK.  Synapse Audio and Ochen K have shown that a decent spectral analysis can be done (see GQ7 and Carve).  Is what's shown above really that different?   
Jagwah wrote: Obviously it can, but I think these guys are just testing the waters.
Hmmm.. yeah, I'd forgotten about Skope.  That approach could pass for a real-time waveform display, though it doesn't seem to fill in the waveform as well as the traditional approach.  

I don't have a problem with them testing the waters, it just would have been a much better test had they delivered a display on-par with the free VST since it clearly can be done as an RE now.

*UPDATE: I just emailed Graham at GVXT and see if he would consider a display update.  I personally would pay more than $9 USD for this if it had one.

joeyluck

02 Mar 2015

Well the current RE display does achieve a similar result in a different way.

True, you can't see the waveform, but you can see the level of incoming audio and clip level.
Would be nice if there was some markings on it though showing the dB.

gyeadon

02 Mar 2015

Hello all. Graham here. Thanks to EnochLight for pointing me to this discussion - lots of useful feedback for me.

I'll definitely investigate improving the display. I left it out so far simply because it's not easy to make it work within the RE framework. The framework is fundamentally more restrictive, but for good reasons - in theory all REs can be run on any platform now and in the future, which is a decent trade-off.

To be honest, I was doubtful that I could get the display to work and be performant given the restrictions, but that Skope demo certainly shows what can be achieved, so I'd better try harder and see what I can do.

Jagwah is spot on with the "testing the waters" observation. It's early days for me, but I've enjoyed working with the Rack Extension SDK, so hopefully there will be more and better to come.

Anyway, thanks all for being here. Shout if you have any questions.

ScavvP

02 Mar 2015

I'm really enjoying the GClip. Bought it already. Personally I don't care much for a graphical display, I like the current display. It would have been nice if it was 1 unit in height instead of 2 but I'm liking the GUI as is. I'd love to see cv inputs on the back however. Also it would be nice if the value of the clip parameter could be displayed in dB instead of percentages and if the controls were also available when the device is minimized (like with Ammo100, selig Gain or Aftermath's CV8X4). 

Hope you'll venture deeper into RE waters!

joeyluck

02 Mar 2015

ScavvP wrote:I'm really enjoying the GClip. Bought it already. Personally I don't care much for a graphical display, I like the current display. It would have been nice if it was 1 unit in height instead of 2 but I'm liking the GUI as is. I'd love to see cv inputs on the back however. Also it would be nice if the value of the clip parameter could be displayed in dB instead of percentages and if the controls were also available when the device is minimized (like with Ammo100, selig Gain or Aftermath's CV8X4). 

Hope you'll venture deeper into RE waters!
I like the current size. Maybe if knobs were included on the folded view, you wouldn't mind the size of the open view?

Graham, for reference, here is a thread about REs that make use of the folded view:
http://www.reasontalk.com/post/res-that ... ew-7295778

Grinder One

02 Mar 2015

The GUI of this RE reminds me of a CB radio :)

EnochLight

02 Mar 2015

gyeadon wrote:Hello all. Graham here. Thanks to EnochLight for pointing me to this discussion - lots of useful feedback for me.

I'll definitely investigate improving the display. I left it out so far simply because it's not easy to make it work within the RE framework. The framework is fundamentally more restrictive, but for good reasons - in theory all REs can be run on any platform now and in the future, which is a decent trade-off.

To be honest, I was doubtful that I could get the display to work and be performant given the restrictions, but that Skope demo certainly shows what can be achieved, so I'd better try harder and see what I can do.

Jagwah is spot on with the "testing the waters" observation. It's early days for me, but I've enjoyed working with the Rack Extension SDK, so hopefully there will be more and better to come.

Hi Graham!

Thanks for chiming in - your first RE is pretty rad.  We appreciate your addition to our racks!  And thanks for considering improving the display.  Something to consider: perhaps keep the existing GClip RE at $9, but do a second version... a "GClip Pro", with the improved waveform display and charge a premium for it?  I'd pay three times the current amount for a proper waveform display that shows the clipping.

Cheers!

joeyluck

02 Mar 2015

gyeadon wrote:Hello all. Graham here. Thanks to EnochLight for pointing me to this discussion - lots of useful feedback for me.

EnochLight wrote:
Hi Graham!

Thanks for chiming in - your first RE is pretty rad.  We appreciate your addition to our racks!  And thanks for considering improving the display.  Something to consider: perhaps keep the existing GClip RE at $9, but do a second version... a "GClip Pro", with the improved waveform display and charge a premium for it?  I'd pay three times the current amount for a proper waveform display that shows the clipping.

Cheers!
I think it would be easier to simply update the current (seeing as people have already bought it). Then, if he chooses, he could raise the price and charge the difference for the upgrade to the users who already own it.  The 'simple' version could maybe just be a utilization of the folded view ;)

• Information